Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2021, 09:53 AM   #1

Talking Traveling with Toddlers

We are making a road trip from east coast to Arizona in a few weeks in our RV. We will have an 18 month old with us, along with his parents. This is an active little guy! Any suggestions for others who have traveled with active toddlers in your RV for activities, etc? THANKS!
JLBrowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2021, 10:01 AM   #2

His Mom/Dad should entertain ---same as if home

GrandMa will probably keep him interested

Safety.....car seat/seat belts etc
Same as if traveling by car

Back in the day......Benadryl LOL
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 11:57 AM   #3

Make sure he's in a car seat while you're driving.

Don't plan on driving long days - 4-5 hr. max.

Stop at rest areas to let him walk & explore.

Pack a good first-aid kit & with meds he normally takes for earaches, etc.

Have a large outdoor mat for under the awning for him to play on. However, let him freely explore nature with safety in mind, of course.

They make audio books for toddlers. Of course, he'd need a headset.

Look for a tiny inflatable swimming pool to use in the shower for his baths.... or for outside on the patio mat.

Bring his favorite stuffed toys and others. Include a dump truck for outside so he can put rocks in it. Perhaps buy a few new toys/books.

He should have a wide-brim sun hat and sunglasses - if he'll wear them.

You said you're heading to Arizona. Do you realize the summer temperatures there? I hope it's to the mountains!

You are very brave to travel with 3 extra!!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 03:30 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
118 in Phoenix today, 100 in Sedona, I left Phoenix at 7am and now am 20miles north of flagstaff at about 7000 ft 80 degrees.

I live in Phoenix try to go north every other weekend.
Old 06-18-2021, 05:15 PM   #5

Binge watching grand kids

We had two of our grand kids with us on a recent weekend trip. We got there Friday. Our daughter and her husband came up Saturday morning with her husband and their two kids, 4y and 18m. We brought along toys for them as did their parents, but the motor home proved to provide the most entertainment.

Every switch that they could reach was flipped many times, every drawer and closet was explored and many forts were built with sheets and sleeping bags. Lots of walks around the camp ground and a longish hike to the lake where both managed to fall in several times.

The kids and grand kids had so much fun as did we, but I have never been so worn out from all the running after them. Wouldn't trade it for the world though.
Threesticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 05:23 PM   #6

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ematic-7-...707bl/46441291

One of these and many of her favorite cartoon dvd's saved out butts.
frank1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:00 PM   #7

Get some appropriate dvds that can keep him/her entertained. My grandson was into Thomas and super wings. I got a bunch at the library. Or download onto a tablet or use a laptop with DVD player. My tv by the dinette was plugged into an outlet that cutout when engine was running so I just ran extension cord from an outlet that didn’t cut out and plugged the tv into it. Btw I dropped the table so sitting in the car seat his legs were on top of the table. Thus he had movies and his own window to look out. We have two bunks so I lifted the top one up and took out the bottom one to put his pack-and-play in that spot. Could put him down for a nap while driving. It was secure and a safe place for him to nap. He’s 7 now and has his games so things have changed a lot.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:08 AM   #8

Thank you everyone

Wow...great suggestions. Background info...my daughter, her husband and the 16 month old will arrive the day before we leave on our long road trip. They are flying in from Martinique, by way of Paris (yep, the only way to get here is to zig zag the ocean...thank you covid!). We HAVE to leave the next afternoon driving often at night in order to make our son's wedding in Page, Arizona We know this is a horrible way for this little guy to have to travel, but covid regulations necessitate that this is the only way to go. OH that we could fly again cross country. We will do anything to help this french family to be here for the wedding, totally designed for only family because of covid.

ANYWAY, we may well drive nights as he sleeps, with some day driving, but stopping as much as we can for him to walk/run/ play outside. Coming back can be more leisurely. SO, I am looking for all kinds of ways to entertain him. I have toys, books, puzzles, the dvd suggestion is brilliant, and I just greatly appreciate all your ideas. We will need them. It will take the village, but worth it all. Again, thanks.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:08 AM   #9

hahaha....I relate. many thanks!
Old 06-19-2021, 08:17 AM   #10

My mother used to say "southern comfort in a sippy cup makes the trip go by faster" but I'm not sure who she dosed, dad, me, or her...
Old 06-19-2021, 10:28 AM   #11

Let us know how the trip came out. It could help others! Have fun and enjoy that wedding!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel