Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2021, 09:03 AM   #15
laj

If being without a toad is that worrisome you drive the mh, and someone else follow you. I know several that do it that way for many reasons. Me, i may or may not take my toad. Depends where i’m going and what rv i’m taking.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2021, 09:16 AM   #16

You should be able to drive your MH to most places, but finding places to park a 35' coach may present problems. We've managed it with a 33' MH though. We carried bikes and were able to do short excursions with them. Without a toad you'll have to break camp every time you want to go somewhere. We have also rented a car at a destination, but it's a hassle to pickup and drop off. I have never heard of being able to rent a toad. Too many variables.
Donskiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 12:02 PM   #17
PKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudbuster View Post
No both need to be on trailer which put us over tow limits.
Have you looked at this type of trailer? A weight of 850lbs can keep you under the 5000lb max for some vehicles.

https://www.trailex.com/products/pc/...7551-17p46.htm

The problem is dealing with a trailer on the trip and in storage. The value is that the trailer can be resold if you replace an existing daily driver with a 4-down toad.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 10:56 PM   #18

It's your first RV and going for a one-month trip.... that will be the test for you.

It just depends what kind of things you like to do and places you go. We like to get off the beaten path and explore. We stay in rustic areas. We could never do it with a car - in our case, our Jeep. It gave us unlimited experiences.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 05:18 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
And for me, if I have to tow, I'd rather be pulling a TT behind my pickup. So, I'm now out of the Class C game, and will be in the Class B game, as soon as I find a suitable replacement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
If I can't tow, I won't go.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 05:59 AM   #20

We traveled for years without a Toad in smaller motorhomes (19 and 25 feet). It was easily doable if you plan shopping and siteseeing stops into your travel days and don't go long distances on those days. When we bought our current 34' coach, we went for about 3 months on the same program. It was definitely harder with the bigger coach and we outfitted our Equinox with a tow rig when we went full time. There are plenty of people that use a tow dolly, but hooking and unhooking a car towed 4 down is so much easier. Many longer term parks will not let you store a trailer or dolly on your site and that adds to the inconvenience. Most transient parks with pull through sites are OK with dollies.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 06:11 AM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are in year number 35...
Motorhome number 5...
Been to 49 states including Alaska twice.

Our next toad week be our first one. -And we're talking about maybe trying one.
Concord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 06:56 AM   #22

Quote:
Our first RV & we are planning a month long trip. As neither of our vehicles can be flat towed & we are limited to 5000Lbs. wonder how others handle getting around who do not tow. We planned to rent in a couple of our stops. Are there places that rent toads to see if one likes towing?
Thanks in advance
Edd
Don't think you can rent one - https://www.irv2.com/rvclassifieds/s...package&cat=22

Do think you will want one - unless you are traveling with Friends.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 07:13 AM   #23

Uber and Lyft are easier than renting in some places, mostly urban metro areas.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 07:32 AM   #24

Quote:
Our first RV & we are planning a month long trip. As neither of our vehicles can be flat towed & we are limited to 5000Lbs. wonder how others handle getting around who do not tow. We planned to rent in a couple of our stops. Are there places that rent toads to see if one likes towing?
Thanks in advance
Edd
To toad or not to toad......there’s not correct answer as you’ll find. The reasons are as varied as the response.

And no.......there’s no place to rent toads. It’s too varied and expensive to equip vehicles for you just to try. Sorry.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 07:59 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
We had a Class C for ~12 years which only had a 3500 lb towing capacity so we could not tow any the vehicles we owned. Most of the time we went without a vehicle but sometimes, on longer trips, would drive a vehicle behind.

When we first bought our current DP we didn't have a vehicle easily towed so we made couple trips one with and one without. The longest was to AK, ~3.5 months and we didn't have a vehicle. What a mistake as without a vehicle we didn't have the ability to easily get out and explore. So within 3 months of returning I bought and set up a toad, which we still have.

We would not have a larger RV without a toad, if nothing else for safety. When we had the Class C we had a problem develop with the transmission and couldn't drive it, it had to be towed. Guess what, only 1 person in the tow truck and NO animals, at the time we had 3-4 dogs. Luckily we were only ~120 miles from home so my wife called a friend who came and got her and the animals. I rode with tow driver to where we had the rig fixed.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:11 AM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
Uber and Lyft are easier than renting in some places, mostly urban metro areas.
How many of us go camping in urban areas?
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:23 AM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
We tried no toad on our first trip back in 03 with a 38 ft class A using Enterprise "we deliver" Ya right! That was a nightmare. It would take until late in the afternoon to get a car delivered, "we are out of cars that can be delivered", or crazy local policies. Then after checking the car in there would sometime be a long wait to get a ride back to the MH. At least there is Uber now, but still, what a hassle.

We were also limited to 5,000 lbs towing so immediately bought a Jeep Liberty on our return home.

You'll also see areas you want to go but no rental car service in the areas. In those areas, look for tour buses, and Uber. It is not enjoyable traveling without a toad
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:30 AM   #28

For the first few years RVing we rented, mostly from Enterprise. Having to rent is very troublesome. Enterprise advertises that they will deliver to you, but we found that delivery is not available at a lot of locations if no one is available to deliver or the campground is too far away. Most of them are closed on Sunday so that also is a limiting factor. If you have to pick up a vehicle at their rental location, parking the RV is a big problem. Many times we have had to park the RV quite a distance from the car rental office and walk to it. We would check out the location on Google Earth before a trip to determine the best way to get a car. We tow now and could never go back to not towing. We don't have to schedule our stays according to when and where a car rental agency is open.
dsurette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, travel