Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2016, 05:34 PM   #15

Trees on county maintained roads

All such issues (very few events) have been covered by my $50 deductible comprehensive coverage. I don't know if the insurance co goes after the govt entities.
I also will retreat from such a road early, if possible. Other times I have driven slowly through the gauntlet and/or waited for traffic openings to utilize both lanes.
Happy Trails, and be careful folks
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2016, 05:50 PM   #16

We, the tax payers, should require drivers licenses for those using public roads. If you don't know the height of your vehicle, its not my fault.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:44 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
We, the tax payers, should require drivers licenses for those using public roads. If you don't know the height of your vehicle, its not my fault.
Yes, it is your fault if a vehicle that is the legal limit is damaged by an obstruction you have caused by letting tree limbs grow across the road and not marking the road as low overhead. Sorry but you are wrong. Also we the tax payers do require drivers to be licensed to travel on public roads

Glenn
Old 09-12-2016, 11:58 AM   #18

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I don't know if the insurance co goes after the govt entities.
They don't.

Few years ago I had water enter my basement from a ruptured city water line. $70,000 claim. I asked my agent if the insurance co would go after the city to recover the money. Answer.... No!
Old 09-13-2016, 05:56 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks to this thread I just called our local highway dept and got a low hanging tree limb scheduled for removal. We live on a small county road and have no other way to get out. They were most cooperative.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:03 AM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks from me too. I have to drive on the other side of street , because of City Boulevard trees to get to the S&B"S. What are my chances that they will ban MH in driveways?
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:25 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I live on a county road and have to weave my way out to the highway because of low hanging limbs. The county comes by every 18 months or so and removes low hanging limbs, but they grow pretty quickly.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I live on a county road and have to weave my way out to the highway because of low hanging limbs. The county comes by every 18 months or so and removes low hanging limbs, but they grow pretty quickly.
Same with us, but they try to grade the road about every quarter. Doesn't always work out that way, but they try. And if we need to call the county commissioner about road conditions or overhanging limbs, they're really pretty good about getting out there and taking care of the problem. One of the nicer things about living in a rural county.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:23 PM   #23

Rooster - First. Sorry this happened to you, twice! I feel for you, and understand that unless you missed an obvious sign, it really should not have happened!

Lots of I'll say less then supportive, and a few downright negative to almost insulting responses. Surprised to see this, as I feel The Rooster has a right to be both ticked that it happened, and seek recourse.

And yeah, as far as insurance. It's all in get the business plan. 9 times out of 10, they'll pay the claim after deductible - and then just move on. Even when it's obvious another party is responsible, and should justly be handling, the costs. Why? Well, it's frankly just easier to raise the rates across the board - so instead of a business, or individual, or government entity covering the costs on something they were responsible for, or negligent and thus causing damage - ALL OF US END UP PAYING IT VIA HIGHER PREMIUMS.

This is the easy way out for the insurance company, which will do the math, and 99.999 times out of 100 - still make a nice yearly profit.

It was not this way in the 60's and into the 70's. Insurance companies used to go after the responsible party that was well, RESPONSIBLE. Now, it's just easier to raise the rates a few pennies here, and a few pennies there - and recover the costs.

All my opinion. And also my opinion, that it is not the right way for this to be handled. I know I personally spent probable 80+ hours over a 7 month period, to recover a deductible my mother paid to get her auto repaired. (A tree limb had fallen on the roof of her car. She'd parked the care on a public street before her and some friends took a bus for a day trip. While gone, a tree trimming service, hired by the local city, had come in and trimmed trees. One limb got away, an accident for sure, and the workers were nice enough to leave a note as to what had happened. My Mom's insurance company refused to go after either the tree trimming business, nor the city, for damages. They sent her a check, minute her comprehensive deductible, for the damages. I approached the tree trimming business first, and they blew me off. I then went an talked to the City, as I felt they had a responsibility when awarding contracts for services, to properly supervise the work. Put up no parking signs for that day. And, ensure public safety. They too first blew me off. So, I worked my way up the food chain until a reached the City Manager. Now, that took about 5-6 weeks of me being persistent. But when I got five minutes with him, calmly explained what had happened. He said 'You're right, your 78 year old mother should not have to cover the costs on this. He asked me to give him a few days to make some inquiries. We got both a check for the deductible, and an apology, form the tree trimming business. About two weeks later, the City Manger called me, and asked if the issue had been resolved. Said that company, per their contract, were to have followed the laws and obtained permits, and then had No Parking Signs set up the day before. So he had made it clear to the company owner that their failure to follow the contract, made them in jeopardy of no longer being authorized to bid on future contracts with the city.

Long story, my nature, and yeah - 80 plus hours over these several months of tilting the sword at the windmill was not cost effective on my point. But, it was a matter of principal.

Even now, a more mellow Smitty, will still speak out and be tenacious when I feel something is just not right. Sometimes it makes a difference, and the feels good. Many times it does not, but at least I tried. Wish more people would hold those responsible accountable.

Another case in point. State Park in Colorado. Online Reservation made, listing my coaches size at 40'. Unmanned gate when we came into the park, knew our site, and after consulting the map headed into our sites location. Got maybe 1/3 of the way, before I started seeing the trees really narrow into the roadway. I stopped, got out and walked several hundred more yards, and determined no way I was going to get in without custom pin striping from the tree limbs. or worse, more then cosmetic scarring. Unhooked the toad. And my wife spotted me as I backed out almost all of the way we had come in. Was almost to the entry point when I found a place I could turn around. I did, and then started to drive back out, the wrong way on a one way loop. Dang if a park employee does not now show up, and asks me for my Drivers License, and starts to write me a ticket. Got them to wait a second, and asked them what would they have done if there coach was about to be damaged due to trees in the roadway? Got some push back about I should not have been driving such a large vehicle on that road to begin with, with attitude I might add, and I again politely asked them to wait a minute (Sort of had to, as I also politely removed my Drivers License from the top of his clip board. Went into the coach, and came out with our printed online reservation info. Pointed out where it said 40' RV. And the asked do you really want to write me a ticket for doing the right thing? He took a good 20 seconds, and said 'You're right, those trees should have been trimmed before the season started.'. I asked if he felt I could get to my site by coming in the back way of the loop? He said lets go check it out. Left my wife in the RV, off where I was turning around, and he and I drove the back way. I told him I thought I could get into the site OK from that direction, and he said I'll spot you with my truck as you do so.

Yeah, another long story. And a classic example where I did not do my normal validation of the roadway ahead, before proceeding. It had been a long days drive, with heavy traffic hold up and delays from construction, and then an accident. But no excuse, I usually always validate I can get into anyplace that is questionable. Prudent to do so. But, I was grateful that the gent was in the end, reasonable. We stayed a week at this park, and midweek, they had a tree trimming crew into clear the pathway.

Rooster. Today? I would not spend 80 hours to do battle. But, I do feel you should at least call in the problem, and ask if they have a department you should contact to file a claim. If not, then it's a judgement call on your part if it is worth filing with our own insurance company. (A funny business insurance. By law you have to have it. You pay good money for the insurance, sometimes for years without a claim. You make a claim, and sometimes with some insurance companies - you are now the bad guy for doing so...

Best to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:50 AM   #24

As a retired Public Service worker. All the people that complain have not the slightest idea of how much work we did. Under paid, under staffed, and expected to protect the ones that called us lazy and worse, right to our faces. Obvious it was the tree's fault, as you are very careful when driving. You did say it happened twice?
Sehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:46 AM   #25

We have eucalyptus along our side yard that 15 years ago were twigs and the one we felled last year was a tad over 100 ft tall.

They grow fast and do grow over the road.

The garbage trucks keep the overhang trimmed as the drivers go as fast as they can and do not seem to care.

We do get a note from the school district on one tree that was a constant low hanger so it provided heat for last winter.

If you were driving a country road and get banged up by trees it is not always government issue as many folks plant their own and they do grow into the roadwway.

Often trucks keep them trimmed as do some county crews but it is upto the driver of a vehicle to avoid hitting stationary objects.