Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #29

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
They've had the pay-at-the-pump at the truck islands for a long time, but you have to use a commercial fleet credit card. They won't accept personal credit cards. This is correct unless they have just changed.
If Pilot and FJ are the same (since they are co-owned), then no.

I10 and FL301, last week....SEE CASHIER...what a PITA...just sayin'
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon190 View Post
What "high-end" stations are you referring to? Personally, I prefer truck stops that sell a lot of diesel. Even if it's a little higher priced, it (generally) won't have water and algae in it (they test their tanks for contaminates every day at the local Jubitz truck stop where I fuel up in Portland). It's cheaper than the repair costs of breaking down in the boondocks cos the fuel filters need to be replaced!
I buy diesel where the locals do as do more RVers than you could imagine, at high end stations, major players like Shell, Circle-K, Mobil, Valero, etc. They sell a lot of diesel for good reasons, like price, and it is just as clean but their tanks aint as big.

Not all RVers are challenged by standard pump access. I dont know if it is confidence, spatial perception, or just a lot of practice, but there are a whole lot of us that get in and out just fine.

BTW, FJ is 12c higher than the competition here in Tucson, $3.77 vs $3.65. At $3.65, my 5% CC discount sure blows away the bottom line at FJ.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #31

Can you get a PenFed card if you are a service connected disabled vet?
HDRoadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #32
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRoadking View Post
Can you get a PenFed card if you are a service connected disabled vet?

You can join PenFed if you're above ground and have a pulse! I got in by telling them I donate to the American Red Cross! Once you're a credit union member, you can apply for any of their cards. Just be sure it's the Cash Rewards Visa card that you apply for. You will also have to open a Money Market Savings account for $25 or more to get the 5% rebate on the card.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I buy diesel where the locals do as do more RVers than you could imagine, at high end stations, major players like Shell, Circle-K, Mobil, Valero, etc. They sell a lot of diesel for good reasons, like price, and it is just as clean but their tanks aint as big.

Not all RVers are challenged by standard pump access. I dont know if it is confidence, spatial perception, or just a lot of practice, but there are a whole lot of us that get in and out just fine.

BTW, FJ is 12c higher than the competition here in Tucson, $3.77 vs $3.65. At $3.65, my 5% CC discount sure blows away the bottom line at FJ.
I do the same thing and avoid all the big truck stops. IMHO, most are crowded, dirty, more expensive, take your card in/leave it/refuel/go get your card and pay...a PITA.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:22 PM   #34

Quote:
You can join PenFed if you're above ground and have a pulse! I got in by telling them I donate to the American Red Cross! Once you're a credit union member, you can apply for any of their cards. Just be sure it's the Cash Rewards Visa card that you apply for. You will also have to open a Money Market Savings account for $25 or more to get the 5% rebate on the card.
Lol, well I am above ground and still breathing. Guess I will go apply.
HDRoadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
I thought all Flying J had a regular area for RV'ers to fuel up.. That is my experience I found along I-40 and I-75. They also have parking spaces that you can dry camp for the night.
TN-Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #36

Quote:
They've had the pay-at-the-pump at the truck islands for a long time, but you have to use a commercial fleet credit card. They won't accept personal credit cards. This is correct unless they have just changed.
Yes you can. I do it all the time as my rig rarely fits the RV island and the pumps take forever. Swipe your 5% off credit card then swipe your FJ RV card. Pump will start without going inside and have the $400 limit. It also works with DEF.
The only down side is that the fuel is usually more at the real truck pumps.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #37

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
In Canada, we have'nt had pumps that you could leave while pumping, for many years.
When i run across one of those here I usually stick the fuel cap under the handle.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
I really don't like hassles. I always use truck-stops (usually Flying J) truck lanes because of their pay at the pump card and ease of acces. I am only 60 ft long, shorter than the truckers so there is no lack of access for me.

My GPS keeps track of Flying J's so they are easy to find.

There is usually okay windshield washing stuff. The pumps fill fast. The cement is usually dirty but I have a special traveling rug inside to wipe feet.

Aside from the "hit" in the pocketbook, I can't see where fueling up should be any major affair.
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:46 PM   #39
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I believe you're thinking of the truckers pumps out back. Remember that's where you can't use a personal credit card to pay at the pump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelm48 View Post
I heard that Flying J has added the pay at the pump feature to the truck island now. Anyone know if this is true?
If you have the PFJ credit card you can swipe and pay at the truck island. have been told it gives back more than 3 cents a gallon, more like 6 if you use there CC. There is a $1000 limit on the card but that is easily circumvented with todays on-line bill payers. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
When i run across one of those here I usually stick the fuel cap under the handle.
For many, many years I have used a soda can. It crunches right under the handle and then you just twist it a little to get the high side up. Pump will still click off when full, at least it has for me.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:56 AM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
I stopped at a flying-j on our trip out west and pulled into RV island........swiped credit card......pumped $75.00 shut off....swiped card again.....$75.00 shut off ....swiped again.....SEE CASHIER! I needed a lot more fuel but not this hassle in 100 deg. temps. Went to leave now I am looking at the front of the store where all of the autos are parked and coming and going and had to navigate through that parking area to get out....Last time for Flying-j. I saw the flying-j and had read about them on here and thought I'd try them, didn't work for me, Indian reservations for fuel and Loves after that and always the truck islands, no more problems.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:36 AM   #41

Entegra Owners Club
With the new ownership of Flying J and the MUCH higher prices than other fuel stops we try to avoid Flying J. We fuel at other major station that still pump a lot of fuel, just not 10 cents a gallon higher. I still get my PenFed discount at the other stations and fuel is usually a dime a gallon less. Everybody has a preference, mine is just no longer Flying J.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:47 AM   #42

It just seems like some people love to hate FJ for some reason. I think they do well for RVers in general and all you need is their no cost card to make fueling quick and easy.
I totally refuse to let any place hold my CC while I fill up.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote