RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2019, 12:00 PM   #1

Trip Tek Issue

Hi Everyone, I have a 2004 Dutch Star with a Trip Tek installed. I'm having a problem. When the unit is first turned on the rear camera comes on fine but the text on the screen is unreadable. It shows up as white marks on the screen. It seems as the unit warms up the text becomes clearer but never totally clear. I've attached some photos if that helps. I contacted the company but they simply told me to remove it and send it in for repair. Since this is not exactly easy to remove I thought I would check to see if anyone else has had this problem and hopefully an easy fix. Since the Trip Tek has not been displaying properly since I bought the RV I have not used it. Is this worth fixing? I've considered bypassing the Trip Tek and plugging the rear camera directly into the display. Not sure if the Trip Tek si something I would use. Any input is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7401.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	275.1 KB
ID:	243860   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7402.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	259.1 KB
ID:	243861  

Name:	IMG_6963.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	365.1 KB
ID:	243862  
Davide33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2019, 08:55 PM   #2

Trip Tek Issue

Just read your post on Trip Tek. I had same problem. Go to the bottom of your inst. console. Pull the drawer out and you will see it sitting on the floor. Check all your connections. My ground was loose
joe_vol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_vol View Post
Just read your post on Trip Tek. I had same problem. Go to the bottom of your inst. console. Pull the drawer out and you will see it sitting on the floor. Check all your connections. My ground was loose
Thanks for the advice. I will check this next time I get to the Motorhome.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:03 PM   #4

I checked the ground but that does not appear to be the problem. I just got back from a trip from Arizona to Wisconsin and back. The display had gotten very dark during the trip to Wisconsin, with the text looking scratchy. The display no longer got better the longer it was on, and did not get improve even if I bypassed the display computer. Believing it now must not be the monitor, I bought a new one, installed it, turned it on and it displayed exactly like the old monitor. DAMN! So now, by process of elimination I figure it must be the camera or cabling. The rear camera no longer displays at all. I plan on getting a new camera and hooking it up at the dash to confirm this is the issue. Now I just have to figure out how to get access to the rear camera wiring. I've read posts saying I should be able to pull the wire out to the connection. Not it my case I pull hard and it does not budge.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:59 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

To answer your earlier question about the value of TripTek, I found the TripTek to be most valuable for its engine monitoring function, e.g. engine/tranny temp, tranny gear, boost pressure, mpg, etc. The trip computer functions were convenient but not real important to me, and I found little value in the Checklist function (I have my own).
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 02:57 PM   #6

Update: I finally got around to working on this. I started another thread trying to figure out how to get the old camera and cable out. Backup Camera Removal - Considering a Sledge Hammer - iRV2 Forums To make a long story short the new camera solved the problem. Cabling was fine. Just a note to someone trying to remove the old camera. There was a ton of caulk in the pass-through hole which made the cable seem immovable. Once the caulk was removed the wire could be pulled out the the connector end and easily replaced. The camera I selected a Voyager VCMS17B LED Rear Mount Camera purchased through Camping World Online. Trip Tech now displays perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8272.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	338.5 KB
ID:	264971