Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #29

That is a reasonable point. I have indeed been caught by the 'closest' gotcha, but I thought that they were all like that. I'll give AAA another look.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #30

I have a 5th wheel and broke down in the middle of nowhere. I phoned BCAA not knowing exactly where I was but over the phone and both looking at maps we came to an agreement where I was. 1/2 hour later they phoned me back saying they had a truck on the way. Not only did they send a tow truck for my 1 ton pickup they sent a pickup with a hitch for my 5th wheel. they towed me 70 miles from Sheraton Wyoming dropped my truck off at a transmission shop and then my 5th wheel at a camp ground. I am still buying BCAA.
Chief9-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:15 PM   #31

Has anyone had any experience with these companys while doing an Alaska trip? Plan to go back this year and wondered which one had the best coverage.
Xpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:46 AM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We had AAA on our first MH and had the RV package deal, made us upgrade all our vehicles to a premium in order to get it which I was not to pleased about.
The one time I needed them they were totaly of no use, it was like I was talking pig latin to them. Just couldn't get it trough their head that we were dealing with a 35' motorhome. I eventualy with the help of the campground owner found a local mechanic to come out and get us going.
AAA wanted to send us a Body Shop tow operator who couldn't tow us anyway.
After that experience we canceled them and went right to CoachNet and have had no problems since.
Their over the phone troubleshooting just recently helped me out on a trip to Cape Cod. At least the guy I spoke with really knew what he was talking about and I was able to get back on the road.
I've been very pleased and they don't send me all kinds of crap in the mail either!
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:59 AM   #33

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had Coachnet, on RV, used AAA on car, Will get coachnet again when funds improve (As the motor home ages I'm more likely to need it, Thankfully about the time I can start to expect is about the time I can afford)

I have no complaints with coach net

With AAA, many plalces they do not have contract towers who can work with a motor home. They are cars and light trucks (pickup/SUV) only. 5,000 pounds max.

In some areas they can cover MH's no problem.

Personally I have never had a complaint with AAA on my cars. But then I do have an unlisted phone number to call for service when I am in Michigan. Even AAA's internal directory lists that number.... Wrong. But hey, it's the one the State Police use. and it's on speed dial in my cell
Old 01-14-2012, 08:09 AM   #34

Coachnet is more than a towing policy.

They have a great RV tech support line to help you determine your problem. They will help with more problems than just "need a tow" issues.
On one vacation trip I called to ask the closest place to buy a power converter. Great service
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:59 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm with Gator Dude. I have had Good Sam for over 8 years and never had a serious problem with them. My advice is to use a repair facility that is used to dealing with extended warrenty companies.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #36

CoachNet

My 2 cents:

I have had CoachNet for 15 years, (some good and some not so good experiences).

I have had coaches towed 3 times with no problems.
One time they intended to tow my coach to a facility that would not do RV work.
One car towed, no problem.
One referral, for refrigerator service, to a trailer manufacture that did NOT do service work, (they ONLY installed new refgs in their trailers).

IMO, with any ERS one must ask questions, get phone numbers of where they intend to tow your rig, (or where they refer you for service).

Ask your ERS to "hold the tow, until you call them back".
Call the shop BEFORE you are towed , (or drive there), to verify that they can/will do the work you need done.

If CoachNet recommends a shop and tows you there they will NOT pay for a second tow, if it turns out the work can not be done there, (even if it is their MISTAKE)!

Mel
'96 Safari Sahara, 35'
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:24 AM   #37

KZ RV Club
You have to have a particular level of membership with AAA for them to cover RV towing . . . we have the lowest AAA membership for the 3 drivers in our house so it doesn't cover the RV towing. Our RV insurance, however, does cover the towing.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:49 AM   #38

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My two cents, for what it is worth. Have had Allstate RV Roadhelp for ten years. Have used them only three times, but they were outstanding.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #39

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Had AAA for Travel Trailer attempted to use it once in Ark to change a tire as it was over 100 deg and I thought I paid for the service why not use it. Arrived within 15 mins and then the problems started. I spent 15 mins on the phone explaining all the details of my Trailer ie weight , which tire, aluminum wheels so thin wall socket would be needed etc. Service guys arrived with a 1 ton walmart jack that wouldn't lift the trailer. Then the guy pulled out a 3/8 ratchet to loosen the lugnuts ( at this point he's using my jack, my breaker bar) then he says " I don't have socket that will fit" . I signed his paperwork and called AAA back and told them what happened. Didn't seem to care much so I finished the tire change myself. When we got home I called AAA 5 times to get some answers. After the 5th call I cancelled the policy and wouldn't you know it someone from AAA called me back. I explained what happened and someone was going to call me back. 18 months later I am still waiting for that call. I spent 6 years in the towing business and never ran AAA calls because they didn't pay well. The bottom of the barrell companies ran AAA calls. I blame myself for trying them. We now use Coachnet with the motorhome.

On the other hand my father has used AAA bunches of times and loves them. Go figure.

Just my experience.