Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2020, 02:06 AM   #57

I'd say for peace of mind, it's less expensive for us two to spend the nights in the motor home. There's not much I can say that hasn't been said.

Jan has serious food allergies, as rarebear.nm said his wife does, and it's very hard to eat at a restaurant without ingesting even a small amount of seasoning that she is allergic to. When this happens, she has to park herself for sometimes a few days. I don't have a cast iron stomach. I can eat anything I like. But, I compromise for her well-being and still eat very well.

Jan has removed the harmful spices/seasonings from the motor home. So, now we feel safe having our meal in the motor home.
I don't really count the cost of motor home vs hotel/motel. Our traveling is done our way. I know we have stayed in expensive RV parks and inexpensive RV parks. We decide where we want to stay and what we want to do and expect to see. Then, we find a park that will work for us.
No, we don't like the "clean looking" hotels/motels. We don't feel restricted as to have to hurry in getting out by check out time with our suit case and arm loads of whatever either. We know when we need to check out of the park and don't worry about leaving any valuables locked up because, we'll be back to the RV to whatever we leave done or undone and that's no one's business.

Travel is expensive. Choose what you want and can afford.

Enjoy your travels.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2020, 05:10 AM   #58

Jayco Owners Club
We would never go back to the hotel travel lifestyle. We started tent camping when out daughter was young because we enjoyed it. It fit out lifestyle and our budget. Everything was either in the tent or the truck. It was nice not having to drag everything in and out of a hotel. Yes we cheated at times and went out to eat,but that made it fun. So once we were empty nesters at the young ages of 41 and 38, we bought a motorcycle. We have been in 45 of the 50 states and into Canada in the last 16 years. It was a really great time, but we had to learn to pare everything down to the minimum because our suitcase for 3 was a 3’ x2’ pack. A comfy bed, hot shower and experiencing different restaurants was again fun, but wow was it expensive. There was a trade off, 45 MPG on the bike is very cost effective, but you more than make up for that on the high costs of hotels and food. Ona trip into New England from Ohio we spent upwards of $300 per day for lodging and food. Our western trip took us to 15 National Parks, but some of those like Grand Canyon North Rim,Bryce Canyon, and Zion cost upwards of 200$ per night for lodging in the park itself. That trip took 3 weeks of hard riding in desert heat and a lot of money. Since were both in our mid 50’s We decided to buy a toy hauler,and it literally was the best decision we ever made. We take the bike with us, and weather doesn’t bother us. Everything is right there, no more dragging all your crap in and out of a hotel, sleeping in an unfamiliar bed, spending 15$ on an overpriced breakfast. We have a truck, and a bike. We boondock when we want to, or stay in a campground when we want to. We a tuallyhave parked the trailer in a comfort Inn lot and stayed in the hotel, because we wanted to! This summer we’re going to the Olympic Peninsula to get our last 3 states in before Alaska and Hawaii . Well take the bike on the ferry over to Victoria Canada and it’s 3 hours to Vancouver. BUY the RV! Get what you can afford and safely tow. Take care of it and you’ll not be sorry
Susie410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:26 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
I have a question for those of you who have done vacations/trips of decent length (7+ days) with your family both staying at hotels or rentals vs traveling with a trailer. Which method was more cost effective overall and which method was more enjoyable? Which method was more convenient? I am trying to weigh out the costs of owning and using a trailer vs doing trips and staying at hotels or rentals. Any help would be much appreciated.
It is only more efficient if you travel a good deal. This is what I did: add the annual cost of the trailer (down payment, 12 monthly notes, 12 months of insurance). This is your annual fixed cost (FC). Then add your variable costs of site costs (SC). I figured an estimate of $75per day at a site because we stay at state parks in the fall and winter, but we like luxury resorts in the summer. I don't add the cost of feeding my family because I cook all of our meals and it costs no more than feeding them at home, so it isn't an additional expense.

Use the variable D for the amount of days in your camper. This gives you the following formula: FC + (SC x D)

For a hotel, you have the additional cost of eating out 3x per day (E), multiplied by number of days in the hotel, D. And you have the hotel rate, H. Remember it will be more expensive on weekends if that is when you will mostly be travelling. I looked at the rates for the Margaritaville hotel we always bring the kids to and I came up with an average of $130, but it depends on where you like to stay and rates in your area. This yields the formula: D x (H+E)

Set the formulas equal to each other and solve for D to see how many days you need to spend in the camper or hotel to break even. Be realistic about how much you will be travelling. I think I came up with a number around 25-30 days. I've spend 100+ days in my camper so far so it is money well spent for me personally. This does not take into account the cost of maintenance (I'm a DIYer so it's negligible for me) or the cost of fuel. That's a more complicated calculation because it depends on where you are going to travel, but the cost is roughly twice for an RV vs. a road trip to a hotel.
Spacecadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:32 AM   #60

Also, I forget that not everyone loves math as much as I do. Here's a simplified formula for the post I made above:

D = FC / (H + E - SC)
Spacecadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:03 AM   #61

Hi Andrew - We did an 8-day all inclusive in the Dominican Republic; cost was ~$6,500 & worth every penny. Grant it, that was prob a bit on the high end, but amazing food, ANY/all the booze u ever wanted, spotless surroundings & getting waited on hand & foot was amazing.

RVing - If u want 2 save $$, DON'T RV, cuz u prob won't! We're on r 3rd motor home (38' now) & wouldn't have it any other way; hate trailers (mates & dogs can't ride in 'em, for one!), & tow our 1,500 lb Smart Car behind. IF u do a lot of RVing (We only do "glamping" - gotta have electric & water), I suggest looking into travel clubs; we r Thousand Trails life members (gifted 2 us), so nearly anywhere we go, is FREE. Also have Passport America (50% off). As already stated, there's nothin like the great outdoors (fresh air, stars, camp fires, & your own bed!); seriously considering RVing full time. (Writing this from my beach chair, @ TTrails Palm Springs - gorgeous!

Hope this helped?! Erinn
RVers4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 02:46 PM   #62

We travel by RV, the DW and me are the only ones that use our bed, and we can take the dog without any hassles.
franklin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 03:56 PM   #63

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We own both a motorhome and a time-share. Both can be really relaxing. Depends on the type of trip--last summer we spent 30 days on the road out west, hitting as many national parks as possible. That was not doable via time share or hotel/motel. Costs calculations are something else. 6 mpg and $50/night camping or 21 mpg and $80-100/night motel? If you can find nights at those prices. I've run the calculations several times and it just depends on the kind of trip you're taking.
Thewheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 04:05 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
I have a question for those of you who have done vacations/trips of decent length (7+ days) with your family both staying at hotels or rentals vs traveling with a trailer. Which method was more cost effective overall and which method was more enjoyable? Which method was more convenient? I am trying to weigh out the costs of owning and using a trailer vs doing trips and staying at hotels or rentals. Any help would be much appreciated.

I own time shares and a 40' Monaco Windsor motorrhome. I have to say there are advantages to both. While the time share properties are very nice, (all but the last one we used)...the RV is probably my favorite. Fuel is costly, but overall, it is super nice to have mybed at the end of the day. Same goes for all the extras that can go in the motorhome....way more than a suitcase will hold.
soberskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 05:13 PM   #65

Long strange trip

I’ve gone the entire route camping/RVing, from tents to Class A. We raised 4 kids, the twins were #3&4. I will tell you in our lives the Travel Trailers we had were priceless for family vacations. When we started towing, 2 young boys 4&2, 2 dogs and a Ford Aerostar AWD, we were able to tow a 16’. AC,Micro,TV,Couch,etc. On to a 26’ then 32’ w/slide. Being able to detach and tour. Planning family trips is a chore,but fun. You set the pace, You have all you need, You involve and engage with your crew. Buy lightly used things, see how it works for you, build on that. Now, we’re empty nesters nearing retirement with an ‘08 Class A as a trial RV, 6 years now.
Kennest6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 07:11 AM   #66

Cost per day

Last time we traveled in a hotel for a week with our granddaughter cost us 257.00 a day for 7 days with an additional 60.00 a day to board 2 dogs. Total 317.00 a day. In 2016 25’ RV pulling vehicle, we average 92.00 a day per trip staying in state parks and low cost public campgrounds (avg 35.00). We eat out maybe twice a week. This doesn’t include my monthly cost of 458.00 for RV payment, insurance and tag. We put on 8,000 miles in 2019 and and 6,000 miles in 2020. We try and go about ever 5-6 weeks. Didn’t do that when we were staying in hotels. Just couldn’t afford it
Lendzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 12:24 PM   #67

My wife and my longest trip to date was two years to Custer, So. Dakota to take in Mt. Rushmore, the Black Hills, Deadwood, and more from Buffalo, NY. Total round trip miles by the RV (not including miles put on by the toad, but fuel costs are) was just under 3500 miles. The total trip cost less than $2400, or about $141 per day. This included all fuel costs for both our class A motor home that averaged 6.87 MPG, our tow car as we cruised around the area to take in the attractions, campground costs with the highest price paid in Custer at $56 per night for full hookups, and the average daily costs of ownership of the RV including monthly payments, maintenance, license, and insurance pegged at $28 per day. Where can you go with the sights to see like in the Black Hills for $141 a day?

We have taken extended trips like two weeks in Alaska for $8000 plus, and to Italy for 9 days costing a very reasonable $5500 because we were in a group of 17.

I have always used the general rule of thumb that the longer you stay at a destination in your RV, or days gone, the less expensive per day the cost averages out per day. What we have also found out is that RV'ing saves us a tremendous amount of "small money" that over the course of days really adds up. Small money is money spent in small or little increments, usually less than $10 for things like going down to the hotel restaurant in the morning and grabbing a couple of coffees and bagels for a fast breakfast. Grabbing a beer, wine, cocktail, or even bottles of water while out and about the area you would be visiting. During a recent Valentines Day stay in Lake Placid, NY, which we booked seven months in advance and had to pay in full to secure a "great" rate of $160 per night ($640) with no cancellation or refund we spent an additional $150 over the four day stay in small money, a $5 here, a $10 there, etc..

Remember too that usually the biggest expenses for traveling by RV will be for fuel, gas or diesel, and campground costs. What many folks forget to take into account when making RV vs. Auto travel comparisons is that the car, truck, or SUV takes gas too that will cost money. So if your daily driver gets 30 MPG on the highway and RV'ing would net you about 10 MPG, deduct 30% from the RV fuel costs because that will be a washout.

Besides my $.04 worth of input above, I 100% agree with all of the posts pointing out the obvious advantages regardless of the money question RV'ing has over other travel forms. Good luck to the OP in your decision.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 04:22 PM   #68

Ah yes. Reminds me when I bought a Jeep Wagoneer to drive on the beach in Hatteras to do surf fishing. Brought my cost of fish to $125 per pound. Good fish though
edaa53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 01:40 PM   #69

Freightliner Owners Club
Well I want to make a couple statements one Owning an RV provides a way of life which is not for everyone. My wife and I enjoy getting out and camping. our personal rule of thumb is this. if it is over 300 miles and it is a weekend take the vehicle and pay for a motel. 3 hour drive time or less take the camper for the weekend. I never dwell on cost. If I bought it i had better have the money to use it. when I first bought the one ton truck it would cost back then 150.00 to fill it up. well I bought the truck so I best not complain about the fuel cost. I am an avid motorcyclists and laugh every time someone tells me they are buying a motorcycle so they can save gas money. sorry but by the time you pay for the bike, insurance, gear, tags and gas you spent way more than putting gas in the tank. There is in my personal opinion only one real reason to own an RV. "because you enjoy using it" Just like my motorcycle there is only one reason to own a motorcycle "because you enjoy the ride". find what makes you happy get out there and do it. memories are priceless!
I
2018 Weekend Warrior 4620 fifth wheel toy hauler
2upServant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 01:55 PM   #70

Two bed bug bites in a highly rated hotel (two different occasions), is all it took to convince me that RVing in our own coach might be more expensive, but is far safer, cleaner, and more relaxing. Now with covid-19, eating out isn't an option--so motels, hotels, resorts without kitchens are probably not such a great idea.
lilac77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, trailer, travel