Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2018, 10:25 AM   #15

2012 Ram 3500.
Quartzsite AZ $28. I provide oil, oil filter and fuel filter.
Seward AK $84. I provide oil filter.

Both seemed pretty reasonable to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2018, 10:33 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndale View Post
They told me $100 service call plus $150 labor plus materials plus disposal fee.
So by service call you mean this quote was from a mobile service provider? If so how far did they have to go?
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:34 AM   #17

Did you try Gator Ford up North of Tampa?

I’ve switched to a fumoto valve and change the oil myself. Everything is easy to get to but you’ll get oil on the ground. It’s pretty much unavoidable as the suspension cross member is right under the drain and filter. The Fumoto valve helps with the drain plug.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:13 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
I called several places and was told up to 3 weeks wait.
I did buy the oil to do it myself and a new gas can to drain it in. I bought the ez oil drain last time I had the oil done and adapter for the drain hose. So no mess with this plus I have 6 feet drain hose for it that I will trim to fit. I really didn’t want to bother with it but I guess I will for that price.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:31 AM   #19

Take the senic route across FL and call Randys Garage in Labelle.

They did mine for $60 with a same day appointment after pulling it out of storage.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:33 AM   #20
IC2

My last pickup was a V10 though the 3 valve version. 7 quarts of oil (2 valve RV version I believe is 6 quarts), using Motorcraft semi synthetic and a Motorcraft filter was less the $30 as a DIY project. Jump ahead to the current diesel p/u with a diesel has 13 quarts of oil. I don't have enough drain container so Ford gets my oil changes. On Tuesday, 7/3,my cost was with tax $107 which included a Motorcraft filter. tire rotation, topped up fluids, a couple fittings lubed, battery test and brake thickness check. While I wouldn't expect that a dealer would/could do all that on an RV, would think that 75-90 bucks just for a gas engine oil and filter change would be about right.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:21 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneToTheDog View Post
I just had mine changed last week, at the local Ford dealer. Oil, filter, battery checked, tires checked and inspected, and a new air filter installed......for about $85 total.
You are one of the lucky ones that have a Ford dealer near you that will even service them. The only dealer near me, and there are several Ford dealer/service centers, will only do oil and lube. And even then it’s $120. Any place else such as truck service centers says to bring it in and leave it and we’ll try to work you.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:09 AM   #22

Timely post. Doing mine this weekend. Oil from WalMart and filter from Advance Auto Parts. Total should be about $30. Have a chassis lube done every August when I take it in for the annual safety inspection. No problem draining the oil, the drain pan sits right on the cross member. Where I usually spill the oil is transferring the used oil to the empty jugs.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:34 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Well changed my oil took a whole 30 minutes not a drop spilled on the ground. The EZ drain with hose very nice. Oil filter used a funnel with hose knocked a hole in it to drain left punch in it as a plug then pulled it out not an issue. So I paid myself for a job well done. I just didn’t want to do it but it needed it.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:38 AM   #24
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndale View Post
Well changed my oil took a whole 30 minutes not a drop spilled on the ground. The EZ drain with hose very nice. Oil filter used a funnel with hose knocked a hole in it to drain left punch in it as a plug then pulled it out not an issue. So I paid myself for a job well done. I just didn’t want to do it but it needed it.
Congratulations!!
All those bucks saved can now go into feeding that Gas Guzzle 10 going home
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:37 AM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
So I paid myself for a job well done. I just didn’t want to do it but it needed it.
I'm same way. I don't particularly want to do it, BUT.

If I do it, I guarantee it got done right, the way I want it, AND, I do something the oil change guy doesn't do:

While I'm under there, I slide around and do a general looksee for anything that looks out of the ordinary. Torsion bar, springs, air bags bolts and bushings, signs of oil leaks, wires hanging lose, plumbing leaks, etc, etc.

I usually take the grease gun with me and do the 9 front end fittings and also the u-joint fittings.

Take a peak at the slide rollers and gears if its extended.

If I'm bored I'll pull the differential fill plug and check the fluid level.

Look at frame weld joints and rear hitch bolts and welds.

If I see anything I make a note of it on my maintenance log.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:14 AM   #26

Doing service in the off season is the best route. No need to worry while on trips or in campgrounds.

Even if fulltiming doing service NOT in the summer rush is a good idea.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:41 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Well that is the issue I am on a trip to Key West and stopped over in Tampa to see my sister and wait for my granddaughter to show up. So I am all set up at Macdill AFB so I didn’t want to break camp for a oil change. But after the price quote changed my mind so I had to do it so I wouldn’t get in trouble.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:27 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeannetta View Post
Why not WalMart?
I've had mine done at a WalMart..... somewhere around $50....... the one I went to I didn't even have to take my toad off the car dolly, pulled right in then just pulled thru
smitty064 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
v10