Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2016, 08:20 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Trouble with plugging in to 110 volt

Have a question about plugging my coach into a 110 volt outlet just to keep the batteries topped off during the winter. So I downsized my 50 amp plug all the way down to a 110 volt plug and tried to plug it in to the GFI outlet at the storage shed unit but it immediately tripped the breaker even though I had all the 110 volt appliances off including the refrigerator, appliances, heaters, ect.. The only thing that was on is the Xantrex 2500 watt inverter/charger that was set to charge the batteries. Is there a particular way to keep from tripping the GFI 110 volt breaker or is even having the inverter on too much for such a small plug? Thanks for any and all comments or replies.
CatchinRays is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2016, 08:24 PM   #2

Two GFI on one circit usually dosen't work. Try to flip off your breakers in the MH that have GFI on them, usually just the 110 volt outlets.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:25 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Plug ours into 20 amp all the time at our storage area... and do nothing special re gfi breakers...

I would bet that you think you have everything turned off
or either you have something else on OR
that circuit supplies too many other outlets and yours is the one that put it over the top !?!

I know we have 4 or 5 spots that run off the circuit I am on and if any one of us leave an AC or heavy duty heater on, it will trip the breaker.

You should turn the invertor portion of your charger/invertor OFF since it's not needed to charge the batteries and it is actually a power hog (relatively speaking )

Good luck
Old 12-06-2016, 08:25 PM   #4

What is the outlet rated for amperage? 2500 watts at 110 volts is almost 23 amps.
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatchinRays View Post
Have a question about plugging my coach into a 110 volt outlet just to keep the batteries topped off during the winter. So I downsized my 50 amp plug all the way down to a 110 volt plug and tried to plug it in to the GFI outlet at the storage shed unit but it immediately tripped the breaker even though I had all the 110 volt appliances off including the refrigerator, appliances, heaters, ect.. The only thing that was on is the Xantrex 2500 watt inverter/charger that was set to charge the batteries. Is there a particular way to keep from tripping the GFI 110 volt breaker or is even having the inverter on too much for such a small plug? Thanks for any and all comments or replies.
turn off ALL 120V breakers in your panel except the one that runs the converter part of your inverter
turn your charger down to 50% or less then should be good to go
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerbill View Post
What is the outlet rated for amperage? 2500 watts at 110 volts is almost 23 amps.
that would be irrelevant unless he was running the inverter and the inverter had full draw on it which by all signs he is not doing such
Old 12-06-2016, 08:36 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If the batteries are low the Inverter/ charger will go in to boost mode (high amp draw) and could trip the breaker depending on the output of your charger. Is there a setting for your charger to limit the the charge output. If it does try adjusting the output down.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
If the batteries are low the Inverter/ charger will go in to boost mode (high amp draw) and could trip the breaker depending on the output of your charger. Is there a setting for your charger to limit the the charge output. If it does try adjusting the output down.
yes as I already suggested such(set chg rate lower) but there no way a charger should trip a 15 amp circuit assuming it has the proper voltage supplying such but if u go gfi against another gfi it will trip the gfi on the output end and that's his problem
Old 12-06-2016, 09:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
yes as I already suggested such(set chg rate lower) but there no way a charger should trip a 15 amp circuit assuming it has the proper voltage supplying such but if u go gfi against another gfi it will trip the gfi on the output end and that's his problem

Unless the outlet OP is plugging into already has other loads upstream on it.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:11 PM   #10

Well thanks for all the quick replies...was not expecting so many people commenting so quickly - but if this makes any difference....I do have everything off - I even turned off the breaker to the refrigerator so that it wouldn't be part of the draw. No heat, no a/c, no Aqua-Hot, no pumps... nothing was on except the Inverter that was set to "charge". But reading through my owners manual it does say to make sure the breaker that I'm plugging into is off....and it was not...but I just kept tripping it. AND: my batteries were extremely low - so it was definitely in "bulk" and pumping as much into them as it could. So, given that information, would the inverter be tripping the GFI breaker? Also, I know no other way to charge the batteries without having the Inverter on and set to charge?? In fact, as soon as I flip the switch to turn on the 8 coach batteries, the inverter automatically comes on...but it just depends on what setting you have it set to as to what it will be doing - either OFF, or CHG, etc....Thanks again for the replies.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:20 PM   #11

CORRECTION: I only turned off the breaker going to the fridge...I didn't turn off any of the other breakers...so I will do that when I go back. I thought since everything was off, I shouldn't have to flip the breaker...so thanks again for all the replies...I appreciate it.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatchinRays View Post
Well thanks for all the quick replies...was not expecting so many people commenting so quickly - but if this makes any difference....I do have everything off - I even turned off the breaker to the refrigerator so that it wouldn't be part of the draw. No heat, no a/c, no Aqua-Hot, no pumps... nothing was on except the Inverter that was set to "charge". But reading through my owners manual it does say to make sure the breaker that I'm plugging into is off....and it was not...but I just kept tripping it. AND: my batteries were extremely low - so it was definitely in "bulk" and pumping as much into them as it could. So, given that information, would the inverter be tripping the GFI breaker? Also, I know no other way to charge the batteries without having the Inverter on and set to charge?? In fact, as soon as I flip the switch to turn on the 8 coach batteries, the inverter automatically comes on...but it just depends on what setting you have it set to as to what it will be doing - either OFF, or CHG, etc....Thanks again for the replies.
could be just the fact the batterys are very low and the charger draws full power so the voltage drop may be just a tad low?(under 110)
Depends on how far the GFI breaker is from the main house panel and then by the time it goes through the MH SP cord etc so just maybe a GFI breaker cant take it?? seems odd u cant set your charger voltage ? all of mine I have always been able to set the charge rate?
anyhow may have to go with a standard breaker
Old 12-06-2016, 09:27 PM   #13

The outlet you are plugging into..........

Is anything else on that circuit in storage shed etc.

That outlet needs to be ONLY feeding your MH and every individual branch CB in your MH OFF except the one to inverter/charger

Which breaker is tripping.......?
GFCI outlet
CB for GFCI
CB in MH
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:18 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
You posted while I was typing mine.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote