Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2018, 06:41 PM   #57

American Coach Owners Club
The Trucking industry has certainty changed !
I always blink them over and most of the time I get a thank you back.
I've seen Russian truckers to the Indian Truckers that realty don't care either way as they just want to move Freight and make $$.
Just always be courteous to others on the highways !
Remember they are making $$ and we are just Spending $$. Some resent that.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2018, 09:04 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Day light hours only I hope..otherwise it is like getting hit with a flash bulb.(Drivers eyes are accustomed to the dark environment )

A quick bump flash of the high beams is not going to blind anybody even on the darkest nights. As for turning off the lights in the dark, that is not a good idea at 60 MPH, you are traveling at 66 ft/sec.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:53 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post

A quick bump flash of the high beams is not going to blind anybody even on the darkest nights. As for turning off the lights in the dark, that is not a good idea at 60 MPH, you are traveling at 66 ft/sec.
Or maybe 88fps... but who's counting?[emoji6]

Sent from my XT1635-01 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:16 PM   #60

Foretravel Owners Club
un subscribed
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:43 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud Dancer View Post
I've yet to see a truck driver wait for my signal. Do you actually believe that they don't know how to drive? For some reason they all want to move out of the passing lane and into my lane as soon as possible. That's when I move into the passing lane, and stay there until they're further down the road. BTW I do NOT crash into any vehicle that might be in the passing lane. I only go there whenever it's safe.
I don't mind being profiled, as long as it's done while I'm driving.
Wait for your signal? How am I to know you are not one of the large percentage of drivers that will never signal? The more time I spend out in the left after I clear you, the more chance somebody small will cut between and be on my right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud Dancer View Post
Heck no. Not when the "next person" has already come by me. My point is this: these truckers JUMP the light. They do NOT give me the chance to be courteous, they do NOT wait for my signal to tell them when it's OK to pull back into my lane. Therefore, I'm not waiting for the next crop of drivers, I'm just going to keep using my methods of driving (started driving in 1952, and have been accident-free on public roads ever since).
You started before me, I got stopped to check for overload first time in 1964, most recent 2015.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
The quick bump flash of the high beams likely will look like you hit a bump. High beams on long enough to be a signal, can dim the vision. Go ahead, cut the lights off. The truck passing you is lighting your lane further down the road then yours will...

And if somebody wanting a job told me they only drove a school bus for experience we where done. But they would not hire me ether. A rock on my truck won't act right, I'll take the littering ticket
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:23 AM   #62

[QUOTE=ScoobyDoo;4267683]Wait for your signal? How am I to know you are not one of the large percentage of drivers that will never signal? The more time I spend out in the left after I clear you, the more chance somebody small will cut between and be on my right.
The above response represents the first time I've seen a reasonable explanation.
NOW, if only I could find the correct terminology for explaining why I do what I do right after a 18-wheeler prematurely cuts in front of me (right after it passes me). But, in any case, they are not going to change their technique, and I'm not going to change mine. They use 2 lanes to drive their way, and so do I.
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:57 AM   #63

My advice would be if you overthink such a simple courtesy then dont bother flashing. There's no right or wrong way to signal a truck and if anyone tells you different, they are being anal. 10 4 good buddies....
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 03:13 PM   #64

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
When I started driving my coach south 8 years ago , about 50% of the rig drivers would flash to signal you in after a pass and I'd flash back . Lately I'd say that's down to 20%.
I always signal passing rigs , that I'm expecting them to switch back in front , and get a flash back about 40% of the time.
X2
Old 07-05-2018, 03:29 PM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cool Reality Check...

After completing a 7138 mile, 35 day round trip from Florida to California and back. Traveled through North USA, Deadwood, Cody, Yellowstone, Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, Little Big Horn Battle-site, California Red Woods down to LA and then back though the South USA I can tell you all that, there are all kinds of truckers driving across this beautiful land, hauling all our goods.
Simply don't expect much and you wont be disappointed, there are many drivers, newly licensed from all over the world and others who out write bought their CD License for big bucks and very little experience on the road!
Just be aware, drive safely and be ready for the worse case scenario, if you see one swerving between lanes, back off they may be sleepy, drugged or tired. And if one wants to pass, take your foot off the accelerator and give them room to pull in and create distance between you two.
Safe travels and much patience... and yes cuss all you want, just smile while doing it to prevent another road rage incident.
Safe travels.
ke4jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 03:37 PM   #66

bright lights in the eye

yes a few years back this was a courtesy between truck drivers it was headlights off and on (not low to high beam) this is blinding when looking into the mirror. I think this has gone by the way because some states will give you a ticket for driving with your lights out even for a few seconds. Professional drivers know when they have cleared your vehicle so they don't need assistance. Speaking as a once trucker and now RV'er.
Tom mccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 03:51 PM   #67

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
You may not be flashing your lights. Check with a spotter to see if they are flashing as you think they should. If you are flashing your marker lights they probably won't notice.

Going from low to bright seems to do the trick for me. We just traveled from Florida to Ca as well and had hundreds of them flash back. I can often see the drivers face in their mirrors and and flash then.
It may "do the trick" for you, but that is not the trucking etiquette of years past. Flash your headlights when they've cleared you and they flash their marker lights back as a thank you, and vice-versa.

Sadly, though, today's truckers don't seem to acknowledge others' courtesies.
BirdsGo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 03:55 PM   #68

Being a retired trucker and current rv captain I have noticed a lack of courtesy from the new generation of drivers. Sad to say but most are steering wheel jockeys out of driving schools and have no training from a vetted Truck Driver. They don't tell them about courtesy to others and a majority have very little knowledge of the vehicle they are operating. I may not like it but I still flashh my lights and give trucks and buses the courtesy I was trained from many drivers through the years.
So regardless of what they do, be kind and continue with the courtesy. I myself when I was driving Appreciated it. Just my opinion but we all Share the piece of blacktop. Thanks
rhhart13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:15 PM   #69

Sorry, but I will continue to be courteous

I started driving in 1968 and was taught the "truckers" courtesy system. I now am retired with a TT and I like to think encapsulate many of the comments above.
I say please and thank you with lights; Move over for park/disabled/emergency vehicles with held turn signals.
I slow down for "stupid" and laugh at the idiot small cars (a woman driver once said I have more brakes, so I can stop faster than she could) when they do "dumb".

So, I will continue to be a safe courteous (I hope) driver.
NHstuckinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:21 PM   #70

Truckers dislike of motorhomes increasing

Quote:
Originally Posted by old golfer guy View Post
In the 1980s and 1990s I had a small moving and storage company. At that time if an 18 wheeler was about to pass you would turn your headlights on and off a few times when he got by you so he would know when he could pull back in, then blink his tail lights a couple of times as a thank you. I just finished a 3000mile trip from Florida to Calif. with our new to us MH and blinked my headlights every time somebody passed me but NEVER got a thank you from the passer!!! Is this something that is no longer done?? Or is my new Canyon Star that slow?

Shiny side up, greasy side down
I discarded my CB radio, because I got tired of hearing the truckers [ModEdit] RV people. For some reason over the years truckers have gotten annoyed with RV drivers. A lot has to do with people who have no business driving, or towing an RV. The skill level has dropped in the almost 40 years that I have been driving large vehicles. It is way to easy for some one with no driving experience, to start towing, or driving and RV. These newbies drive the RV as if they where in their on car. Not leaving adequate room for lane changes, cornering, and in general basic large vehicle maneuvering. I do not blame the truckers for being upset. Most trucker related accidents, including ones with RV's, are not the truckers fault. Most states don't even require any additional training, or a special license.
CHUCKRWILKS is offline   Reply With Quote