Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2018, 10:19 PM   #1

Truckers Courtesy

In the 1980s and 1990s I had a small moving and storage company. At that time if an 18 wheeler was about to pass you would turn your headlights on and off a few times when he got by you so he would know when he could pull back in, then blink his tail lights a couple of times as a thank you. I just finished a 3000mile trip from Florida to Calif. with our new to us MH and blinked my headlights every time somebody passed me but NEVER got a thank you from the passer!!! Is this something that is no longer done?? Or is my new Canyon Star that slow?

Shiny side up, greasy side down
old golfer guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2018, 10:23 PM   #2

Some truckers like it, some don’t, i always flash my hazards when they flash to let back in or any time a “thank you” is warnted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2018, 10:28 PM   #3

When I started driving my coach south 8 years ago , about 50% of the rig drivers would flash to signal you in after a pass and I'd flash back . Lately I'd say that's down to 20%.
I always signal passing rigs , that I'm expecting them to switch back in front , and get a flash back about 40% of the time.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:34 PM   #4
YC1

You may not be flashing your lights. Check with a spotter to see if they are flashing as you think they should. If you are flashing your marker lights they probably won't notice.

Going from low to bright seems to do the trick for me. We just traveled from Florida to Ca as well and had hundreds of them flash back. I can often see the drivers face in their mirrors and and flash then.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 10:53 PM   #5

Kids use to say Yes Sir/Yes Ma'am, No Sir/No Ma'am
Men use to hold doors open and let others pass thru
Folks use to say Thank-you/No Thank You
Etc, Etc Etc

Social Media has KILLED common courtesy
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:16 PM   #6

A drivers attention should be in about 20 different areas. If he is not looking in his mirror at the same time you are flashing your headlights, he will not see you do it. Often you can see when he looks in his mirror. I try to flash the lights when he is looking.

Another problem, with the many new vehicles that have daytime running lights, drivers do not look for lights as much.

Instead of the four ways, I used to just hit the turn signal from the right, to the left for a few flashes, then back to the right for a few.

At night, its better to turn off the headlights for a few seconds (leaving the marker lights on). Flashing the brights, can make it hard for the driver to verify that he has room to come back, and many flashing the high beams, is not that different then the lights bouncing in the mirror from bumps.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:54 PM   #7

Why would you want someone to pull in front of you any earlier than he might otherwise do it? The majority of the time I have to slow down when someone pulls in front of me because I don't want to be that close.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:10 AM   #8

Just got back from a road trip up to Washington over through Idaho, Montana , back down through Idaho over into Wyoming then back through Idaho to Nevada back home via I-80 to Sacramento.

Of all places Ca was the place where I'd say 90% of the truckers blinked their tail lights back.
Right now doing emails back and forth with a trucking company that their driver all but ran us off the road.
Before the road trip I bought one of those dash cams , so have it all on video.
This happened just outside of Twin Falls Idaho on 93 South bound...

Worst drivers we came across were yet again Washington , they plant their ass in the passing lane and will not move over !

I came up behind one , backed off , flashed my lights . Still just going along 60 in a 65 mph holding about 10 of us up.
I blew my horn so the idiot started pacing another vehicle in the slow lane.

I backed off, most the other vehicles were thinking it was me holding up traffic.
I changed lanes and the guy behind us realized it wasn't us and decided he would give it a try to get the idiot to move over .
He basically did what I did , pull up , back off , pull up flash headlights and when the vehicle slowed down more ,,,well...
I bet there wasn't 6 inches between the front and rear bumpers of their vehicles.

Yeah and people wonder why there is road rage .. We came up to our exit finally so don't know what the outcome was..

Back to the flash headlights and get a TY from the passing trucks , noticed the declining of that too...
OFDPOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:22 AM   #9

Foretravel Owners Club
If at night... DO NOT Hit them with your bright High Beams.....It really urine's us off....As we cannot see for a few seconds (or longer as we age)
Turn your headlights off momentarily.... that we can see without being blinded..(just a note ... in some states the trucker may be pulling triple trailers, so check first before you give him/her the OK to swap lanes
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:33 AM   #10
IC2

Today's truck drivers are a whole new breed. I call them 'wheel holders' Many, not all for sure, just don't have the social skills of earlier generations of professional truck drivers. It's their upbringing that should have started as children but now is sadly missing with the late Gen X and Millennials. I've had store doors not held as they used to be, been cursed out for no discernible reason other then I may have been only doing 75 in a 65 mph zone ---- and the list goes on.

Do I like it? No but it's become an acceptable way of life for many so try to roll with the times - and my gritted teeth are wearing down
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:39 AM   #11

I have had just the opposite experience. Most truckers have appreciated me blinking my lights when they have passed and have blinked a thank you back.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
Why would you want someone to pull in front of you any earlier than he might otherwise do it? The majority of the time I have to slow down when someone pulls in front of me because I don't want to be that close.
The practice dates back to 2 lane highways, let him know to get out of that lane.
When it was common, the flash did not just mean "You missed me" but more "you can come back over, you are going enough faster than I, the distance will come if we hold speeds."
How many will see a truck gaining on traffic, and use lights to let the driver know he can step out?
And what about the RVers that pull into a rest area, park as close to the bathroom door as they can, then use their own bathroom? Sure the RV has the "right" to park there, but the trucker must walk past you to use his only bathroom choice. Park out at the end if you don't want to share...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:05 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
I think its fine to let a tuck in if they want to you dont own the whole lane
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:16 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I still do it and if they respond great, if not, no biggee....

And I WILL let a truck escape the right lane dodo birds to get in front of me even if it means I have to slow a bit...

especially when I see a hill coming, our 43 foot rv + 20 ft toad weighing 40k can regain speed a LOT better than a 90k truck going up hill, so I let them save their momentum

(and usually a thank you does come even though he's letting me draft on him at the same time !!!)