Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2012, 07:21 AM   #1

"trucks prohibited road"

Are the big class A's banned from these roads? If so what is the cutoff?
fountain42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2012, 07:33 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not certain but would think these signs are related to commercial truck traffic which will destroy the road if it does not have a substancial base construction. I don't think a motor home would be banned due to the infrequent usage. Just my 2 cents!

burfurd
Old 08-20-2012, 07:35 AM   #3

Depends on why the roads are restricted. DOT can advise. Could be overhead clearance or weight restrictions. I would know before I ventured too far down that road
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:35 AM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to adehaan86
Most sings will have a picture of a truck and how many axles than weight limit on that. At least area here they tell you.
adehaan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:46 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I know that in Chicago, "No Trucks" means just that. Even an El Camino can get a ticket. Happened to a friend of mine on Sheridan Road..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:57 AM   #6

Would not have any idea what the law really is, but one holiday weekend I got off the interstate in our motorhome near Chicago (in WI) to avoid a traffic jam and ended up on a secondary road marked no trucks. I was pulled over by a local deputy sheriff who berated me for a good one half hour about "ruining his roads" and how he could give me a ticket and have me towed. Rather than argue with him, I let him rant and asked for help turning around and getting back to the interstate. At least in his county, no trucks meant no motorhomes.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #7

If a sign says 'no vehicles over xx lbs.' or 'no vehicles over 3 axles' (etc.) then you have something to go by and can make a judgment. However if a sign simply says 'no trucks' then a motorhome isn't a truck so you are not prohibited. If they want to enforce a law they need to be clear about it.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:25 AM   #8

Typically I would not go where there is a "No Trucks" sign because I have no idea why the sign was placed, low overpass, weight limit on some bridge, etc. However my Rand McNally 7710 will display a "No-Truck" warning on the secondary road to my home and there are "No-Truck" signs but I go anyway because I know that 15-20 ton trash trucks, Sears delivery trucks, United Van Lines moving truck, etc. travel these same roads so I assume the sign is intended for commercial thru traffic, not RV's or other trucks that have a business reason to be on these roads.

I am sure that some state or local authorities have a different way of looking at this so I would not argue except if I was going to my own home then we would have a discussion
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:43 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
If a sign says 'no vehicles over xx lbs.' or 'no vehicles over 3 axles' (etc.) then you have something to go by and can make a judgment. However if a sign simply says 'no trucks' then a motorhome isn't a truck so you are not prohibited. If they want to enforce a law they need to be clear about it.
That may be true but is it worth time, effort and $$$ to test the system? I'm just sayin'...
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are two or 3 reasons for a "No trucks" rule.. one is the roadway (Weight restrictions) and normally that one will say something like "No trucks over 13 tons) My motor home is.....13 tons.

Another really means "No commecical vehicles" and may be interperted differently by different cops or departments.. Now a commercical vehicle under MICHIGAN rules is one with a commercical license plate.. This can include a taxi cab, a Semi Truck or a pick up.. BUT DOES NOT INCLUDE A MOTOR HOME.

Sometimes it is because of narrow road or tight turns.. That one impacts motor homes (If you try to take the road the "impact" may be the kind that your body shop will love to fix for a fee).

All depends on the reason the road is marked "no trucks" an how they define trucks.

And as always: Laws vary from state to state and in this case city to city, sometimes even block to block.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Some States including california have road restrictions for both trucks and busses. Some motor homes are considered busses ie: over 40 feet up to 45'. some of the reasons why are wheel base length on tight turns where rear axles will track in opposing lanes, bridge weight limitations and on semi's axle to pin length.

see california restricted roads
45' Bus & Motorhome Map
Old 08-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #12

On our trip to Maine, in September '11, I saw a sign that said "No Commercial Vehicles". Well, we're in an RV with an rv tag, so I'm thinking we're good.
That was, until the local PD pulled up to my left rear and on his PA system told me I was not allowed to be on the road and to take the nearest exit.
I opened my window and gave him a thumbs up !! Then took the next available exit.....which dumped us off into New Haven, CT. DOWNTOWN, New Haven, CT.

Narrow, two lane city road with parking on both sides and oncoming traffic. Oh,did I mention this was our first trip in an RV?.....EVER!!

DW was my navigator through the city and did really well. And I only scuffed the right rear tire once.

On the way back, the same road had a sign that said, "Cars Only". I didn't make the same mistake twice. Learning had occurred.
JGo1-n-Co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #13

Commercial Truck restriction have nothing in common with a RV.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #14

Carolina Campers
A couple of years ago I was in my car on a "no trucks" road in the mountains of VA....I remember being thankful I wasn't in my RV. Lots of hairpin curves on a steep grade. Probably could of made it in the MH, but the DW would have been screaming.
rocknrun is offline   Reply With Quote