Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Try Before You Buy ??? Do You?

As DW and I looked at some new RV's this past weekend, the thought occurred to me how well is this unit insulated? The manufacturers all have the propaganda to support the claim that their unit is the best.

A Redwood we looked at already had the dual pane windows on it which I am sure is a added value.

But it seems you really never get a true understanding of how the rig is unless you buy it and live in it for a while.

How it Tows, Stability, Noise, Insulation Comfort, Heating, Cooling, Other features effectiveness.

The thought occurred, you know you rarely buy a pair of jeans without trying them on for fit and comfort. You don't even buy a used car without driving it.

Why is it we don't get a good test run of a RV before we buy it? Or do you? I feel like that is asking a lot from the dealership or is it?
Do dealerships allow you to return something your not satisfied with?
What do others think of that?

Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2013, 12:53 PM   #2
Community Administrator

You can try but I doubt you'll get far. I've not heard of any dealer letting you " borrow " it for a trial run.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #3

Most dealers will allow a good test drive I have never been told just around the block and back. As for extended use, The best bet would be to rent an RV. As far as who builds what and how good, then research web sites like this one and others. Go to each manufacturers Blog and read what owners are liking and disliking
Old 12-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Or ask the question on that owner's website by starting a new thread. I'm sure owners will tell you what they think about those things you wonder about.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
The last two very expensive MH I have purchased, I never drove either one of them. I studied the forums of that brand to see what owners were saying about them. If they don't like them, you'll see the problems listed on that forum. If they like them you will see the praise. The forum member will discuss the good and the bad of each floor plans, ride comfort etc. Reading a few months worth of posts, you will get a good feel of what you are interested in purchasing.

Once you are to that point, a trip to the factory(s) to see the true quality (or not) being built. There is where you can see how much insulation is installed and where.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
I will use the example of the King of the Road we purchased last. Yes we did go to forums to get others opinions. Very important in deed!!

But, when we were shopping the salesman went on and on how efficient the rig was for cooling or heating. I wanted to say lets get it hooked up and run the AC's. Just to see how well it really did cool instead of taking his word for it.

Now some say these new rigs run so quiet you cant even hear them. Oh come on, really? At 18k lbs I had some concern on the towing capability of my 1T dully. Wanted to ask if I could hook up and take her down the road.

That was no concern after I purchased it as it tows like a dream, we have not used it yet in winter months but it would be interesting to see if it really is warm as he said it was.

And some of these new rigs claims...... I really would not have any concern with a Excel, DRV, very top of the line builds but it would be interesting to put a few of the others to the test and see first hand how close they come to the claims they make.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:39 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
What has worked for me - When we bought our last 2 fifths, my dealer handed us the keys and the boss and I sat in the rigs, walked in them, stood around and figured how all things would work for us. In each case we spent over an hour deciding if things were going to work. We are fortunate to have a great dealer who let us do this. A couple of dealer adds and we were good to go.
The boss passed in June so after a fall trip, I decided to downsize. Same dealer, narrowed my choice to one of two, and then spent a lot of time deciding which would work for me. Still working on getting things put away and leaving out. Going from a 36 foot fifth to a 28 foot trailer sure cuts into the storage space.

Bill
Old 01-02-2014, 06:01 PM   #8

I've bought two vehicles without driving them. Usually a truck drives like a truck, a van like a van....
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:05 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
If it's a car or truck that we are buying then the first thing before the salesmen says anything Thom will just tell him "Let her get in and out first, if she can't get in and out easily for her then there is no reason to go on about the car/truck"
If it's an RV then we will spend lots of time inside and out, looking everything over. We will temporarily decided where things will go. We will "try" out the kitchen. Get in the shower to see how it fits. We will lay on the bed and couch's to see how they fit. We try everything we can. Thom will drive it around and test things out. Then and only then will we decided if we want to maybe get it.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:48 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I don't think there's a dealer in the world that will let you do anything more than drive the rig down the road! JMHO!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:03 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
When you tell the dealer you want to try it out for a week he will probably fall on the floor laughing right before he calls security on you.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:43 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Well, one has to wonder....... how is it so many relatively new rigs now used are back on lots just a few months after they went out the door. Like others mentioned, we also check out every aspect we can, fit, comfort, build.

Most of these new rigs do not have any power to them at all so testing out electronics, AC, how it rides, find out after you buy it. I have had some sales people tell some rather foolish comments that exposed their lack of knowledge. Sometimes they were not even aware of certain aspects that were published in the manufactures web site.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:23 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
Well, one has to wonder....... how is it so many relatively new rigs now used are back on lots just a few months after they went out the door. Like others mentioned, we also check out every aspect we can, fit, comfort, build.

Most of these new rigs do not have any power to them at all so testing out electronics, AC, how it rides, find out after you buy it. I have had some sales people tell some rather foolish comments that exposed their lack of knowledge. Sometimes they were not even aware of certain aspects that were published in the manufactures web site.
Unfortunately, most of them will tell you ANYTHING to get a sale!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:36 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Let me check it out for a bit......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
As DW and I looked at some new RV's this past weekend, the thought occurred to me how well is this unit insulated? The manufacturers all have the propaganda to support the claim that their unit is the best.

A Redwood we looked at already had the dual pane windows on it which I am sure is a added value.

But it seems you really never get a true understanding of how the rig is unless you buy it and live in it for a while.

How it Tows, Stability, Noise, Insulation Comfort, Heating, Cooling, Other features effectiveness.

The thought occurred, you know you rarely buy a pair of jeans without trying them on for fit and comfort. You don't even buy a used car without driving it.

Why is it we don't get a good test run of a RV before we buy it? Or do you? I feel like that is asking a lot from the dealership or is it?
Do dealerships allow you to return something your not satisfied with?
What do others think of that?

OK ,...you are selling me your $180,000 Coach(or what ever the cost) and I ask you if I leave a cashiers check for the amount with you(don't cash it till I come back) can I take your Coach and try it out for a week or so? And after that test run, all kind of problems came about, will you give me my check back without any trouble? Would you let me take anything you were selling so I could try it out other than a short drive?
The KEY to your question is having a really good bumper to bumper inspection done, shore powered up and everything checked, genset started to see if it switches over and everything will run on it, and on and on and on. Chassis is a biggie, engine, transmission, etc. New or used.