Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2022, 06:18 AM   #1

TSD Card

For those that have this card, is it worth it if you have a Chevy diesel pickup with a 42' fifth wheel? Thank you, Val
CO Reitred is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2022, 06:31 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
It's going to save some money no mater what kind of diesel your running.
So stations have better discounts than others.

They have an Open Roads app to search prices near you.
My last top off of 40 gal was $220.00 at the pump with the card it was $208.55
Old 05-16-2022, 06:47 AM   #3

we have a ram pickup and a 42 foot 5th wheel. we also have the TSD card. we have pulled into the truck lanes with our trailer in tow and refueled with no problems. the truck lanes are much easier to pull through than trying to navigate the large trailer through the auto lanes.

that being said you also have the option of taking you truck into any station when you are not towing the trailer.

there are many posts discussing the benefits of the TSD card. we use it when it provides lower costs. but realize that this is not all the time. sometimes non TSD stations have better costs than the TSD stations in the area. you just have to look and see.

finally, i have also taken the truck unhitched by itself through the truck lanes and used the TSD card to pay for fuel. i am not the only one that does this. one time there were actually three pickups fueling in the truck lanes. but they get in and out quick. you'll just have to research the various prices at the different stations and make your own call. having the TSD card does not force you to use it.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:49 AM   #4

For us, it makes truck stop fuel actually reasonable and it's nice being able to run your card at the pumps.
Old 05-16-2022, 12:57 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I signed up for their program after our PNW trip last year but have not yet used it as San Diego doesn't exactly have many truck stops. I do have the Pilot rewards program and that helped a little on the trip. We're doing an Oregon trip in July, this time with my Duramax and a toy hauler instead of our DP and I've already been planning the fuel stops on the way. Looks like most of the stops will be at the TSD stations along the 5 however there are no stations along the coast on the 101. I figure the savings will offset what we have to pay on the 101 so it works out. Running the card at the pump vs going inside each time for the truck pumps will be a nice change as well. Figure that convenience in itself is worth signing up!
ElCaminoManT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 04:04 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
WE use it as often as we can. It save us a lot at each fill up and usisng the truck lanes to fuel makes the process much easier.

We used it last week and posted price was 3.69/gal and with the card we paid 5.15
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 04:29 PM   #7

I use mine even without my trailer. That is when the prices make it worth it.

I check Open Roads app and then Gas Buddy to see if its actually cheaper. If TSD price is more but pretty close in price I will use the truck lanes for convenience. I also have Good Sam which offers 8 cents per gallon at Pilot/FlyingJ so I consider that when looking at Gas Buddy
Old 05-16-2022, 07:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
WE use it as often as we can. It save us a lot at each fill up and usisng the truck lanes to fuel makes the process much easier.

We used it last week and posted price was 3.69/gal and with the card we paid 5.15

You paid MORE than the posted price?
vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 06:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom_vroom View Post
You paid MORE than the posted price?
I am sure he fat fingered 3.69 instead of 5.69
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 05:39 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Where is auto correct when you need it
I was meaning 5.69 a gallon before discount.
I think I need another drink
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 08:34 PM   #11

I have had the TSD card for 1.5 years now.

I have never used it with my light duty truck (LDT), 1 ton dually. I typically fill up when I need 50 gallons (86 total gallons). I can usually pay the same or even a little lower at local stations than I can with my TSD card.

I always fuel at commercial stations in my HDT and always use my TSD card. With my HDT I have dual tanks and I typically put 100-200 gallons (275 total gallons) in which would take forever on a non-high volume pump. I do not always use in-network stations as often times I can find out of network stations with lower prices.

Only you can decide if it is worth it to you. I know people complain about getting "big" rigs into non-commercial stations. I am 13.6' high and 70' long when puling with my HDT. Even filling the HDT at commercial pumps I still have to pull into "regular" stations to fill the gas tanks on the toy hauler.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 11:06 AM   #12

We just returned to WI from our winter home in AZ. 2250 miles by way of ID to visit a daughter. I used the TSD card at every fuel stop. Much of the way, Loves had the best "Net" price giving $.25 - $.30 discount which is often the same as Maverick's regular pump price. The best discount came from an independent Fuel Mart on I-90 east of Mitchel SD. Pump price was $5.59 and the TSD cost was $4.79 for a savings of $80 on a 100 gallon fill. Not too bad a deal. Although, last year, I never thought I would be happy to pay $4.79 for a gallon of diesel fuel. It cost us $1600 to come home and only $960 to go down last fall. Can't wait to go back down in Sept.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 10:01 PM   #13
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I used the TSD card yesterday at a TA Truck Stop and saved $42.42 off pump price.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 10:10 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have looked at this card and I do not like two facts.
One is it is linked to your bank account. OK, that you can fix by setting up a separate smaller account just for the use of the card.
Two is they will not let you have the card without your social security number. NO ONE get mt SS number except for my employer. Why would you want your SS number setting on one more database that could be hacked?

I asked TSD and they have a sorry answer that does not hold water in my book. Be very careful who has your personal information. I guess I will not have a TSD card.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote