Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2021, 03:24 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
TSD Diesel Fuel Prices - June 2021 - Little or No Savings

Just looking on line - the latest from Central Florida shows the cheapest diesel through TSD is $2.88. The Shell across from my Campground (with Truck Lanes) is $2.89.

I have been using TSD for about 8 months and this is the first time that I am not really seeing a discount between the TSD Price and local gas stations.

So, does anyone know what happened to the discounts?
pete5016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2021, 03:39 PM   #2

I’m up in the Nashville area and still seeing good discounts unless of course you look at Loves Truck stops. I typically only use T/A
gfunaiock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:41 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
my closest TA is in Vero beach. Pump price there is $3.42 and my TSD is $2.97 $.45 discount but not as cheap as the Sam's Club down the road ($2.88).
Old 06-17-2021, 03:51 PM   #4

There always have been less expensive options but usually they require more of a drive off the highway and / or a challenge to get in / out of with a long & tall rig.

For my upcoming trip from CT to NC i don't see any great savings with https://www.gasbuddy.com/tripcostcalculator over TSD or Fuelbook
Old 06-18-2021, 09:26 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenZ71 View Post
There always have been less expensive options but usually they require more of a drive off the highway and / or a challenge to get in / out of with a long & tall rig.

For my upcoming trip from CT to NC i don't see any great savings with https://www.gasbuddy.com/tripcostcalculator over TSD or Fuelbook
Appreciate the feedback, but that has not been my experience.

In the past, TSD was always cheaper than anything on GasBuddy - but currently, that is not the case. I was wondering what changed?
pete5016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:52 AM   #6

Got the card and soon realized that the price I paid, with the discount, is higher than Sam’s Club and many other stations. I only use it when I need to fuel at a truck stop because I can’t get into any other place.
Dakotah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:37 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You don't get a discount at every station. Love's is about .5 cents and probably can be found cheaper elsewhere. Flying J and Pilot, are giving nothing. The only discount we saw, last month, was with TA and Petro. They were still giving a better price than anything around them.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:42 PM   #8

Traveling up from Florida to Georgia to Texas to Arkansas to Missouri over the past few weeks, I have been able to take advantage of significant discounts over any of the lowest Gas Buddy prices. And I do check out all the options when I plan my trip. Sometimes the local prices are better, particularly if we are traveling away from interstate routes. But most of the time, I can find a better discount with the TSD card than a regular station price.
Old 06-18-2021, 04:57 PM   #9

I think the biggest discounts come in states where the prices are the highest. I'm in California and I presume, (with our high fuel taxes) we are among the highest priced. I usually save anywhere from 56-62 cents per gallon at the Petro and T/A stations I usually fuel up at.

2006 37' Allure Sunset Bay #31442
tinman 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:31 PM   #10

I have only used my TSD card a few times and only 1 time at an in-network station.

My experience has been that I can often find fuel about $0.25-$0.35/gallon cheaper at local stations. Yes, these are still commercial lanes. I filled up on Sunday at a very busy local station with commercial lanes for $2.76 and the next closest, in network fuel price within 100 miles along our route is $3.16 ($3.56 pump price). If you are filling 50 gallons that might not be a huge deal, but I just topped off with 150 gallons. That is an additional $60 saved over in-network stations.

Yes I still used the commercial lanes since I have dual tanks. Yes I still used my TSD card since I do not need to go into the store to activate the pumps. Yes, I am 70' long and I still needed to get gas in my toy hauler. No I could not easily access the poorly laid out gas pumps commonly found at most truck stop style stations. We did put gas in at the next town that had pumps parallel to the building for easy access.

Yes TSD offers discounts at in-network stations. Yes those discounts vary based on the current negotiated rates between TSD and the fuel vendors. Yes you can find cheaper or even much cheaper fuel at out of network stations.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 06:03 AM   #11

About the time the pandemic started most of the truck stops eliminated the TSD fuel savings program but TA/Petro joined the program. TA/Petro still has substantial discounts over other truck fueling stations when using the TSD card.

TA/Petro truck stops are not as numerous as Flying J and Loves so some planning may be necessary if you decide to stick to TA/Petro. I've found with my 500 mile range with reserve I can usually find a TA/Petro truck stop along my route as long as I do some pre-departure planning. RV Trip Wizard does a good job of RV routing and showing truck stops along the route with the ability to filter truck stops to just TA/Petro.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 06:24 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Filled up on 6/11/21 at T/A in Cartersville GA and discount was $0.16/gal. That's much less than the $0.42/gal discount that I got the last time (3/6/21) I filled up at T/A in Commerce GA.

Not complaining about the discount - anything helps. But T/A is on the same level with Loves now, in my recent experience using TSD card.

Regards.

Chuck
Old 08-22-2021, 03:55 PM   #13

I have been resisting getting a TSD card, even though some RV friends have recommended it.

In my local area, Buccee's, Kroger, and Sams sell diesel for .30 to .50 cheaper than Loves and Pilot signage prices (we don't have a TA nearby).

On a recent 1month trip from GA to WVA with several stops between, I was able to find lower priced diesel at an Ingles grocery store, a specific Exxon, Sams, and Gasngo.

I use Gasbuddy app to search around and also note posted prices and access near our camping areas. Sometimes I use google street view or satellite imagery to judge whether I can get in with a 40ft motorhome (we might disembark from campground in two vehicles and hook up the Toad after I fuel up).

Im having trouble justifying signing up for the TSD card if it has no benefit.

However, next spring/summer we are headed west (Wyoming and surrounds). Will the TSD be beneficial on that trip for $$$ reasons and/or access reasons
evofxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 04:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by evofxdwg View Post
I have been resisting getting a TSD card, even though some RV friends have recommended it.

In my local area, Buccee's, Kroger, and Sams sell diesel for .30 to .50 cheaper than Loves and Pilot signage prices (we don't have a TA nearby).

On a recent 1month trip from GA to WVA with several stops between, I was able to find lower priced diesel at an Ingles grocery store, a specific Exxon, Sams, and Gasngo.

I use Gasbuddy app to search around and also note posted prices and access near our camping areas. Sometimes I use google street view or satellite imagery to judge whether I can get in with a 40ft motorhome (we might disembark from campground in two vehicles and hook up the Toad after I fuel up).

Im having trouble justifying signing up for the TSD card if it has no benefit.

However, next spring/summer we are headed west (Wyoming and surrounds). Will the TSD be beneficial on that trip for $$$ reasons and/or access reasons
First off there is no cost, not risk, no fee, no anything just to have the card.

There are 2 reasons other than the "discount" that people like me use TSD or similar cards. Probably the #1 reason is to used commercial fuel pumps and not have to go inside. To me this is well worth the $1.65/use charge. The other reason is it gives you more options for easy fueling. You can use this card at the pump at any station that takes WEX cards. I only use commercial lanes since I have dual tank.

Last week I ended up in a small town where I needed to get gas in my generator and fuel station on my toy hauler. The only station in town that I could "easily" get into was a card lock station. I am glad I had my card.

I also enjoy that all of my fuel receipts for my truck show up in my email and I can easily review them.

I have used mine dozens of times since I go it this spring. I have only used it at 1 in-network station.

If there will be a savings next year, there is no way to tell. The card vendor and fuel vendors are constantly negotiating rates that can and do change at any time.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel