Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2022, 09:35 AM   #15

The TSD card is great. I have had one for years and don't use anything else. You have to use the truck lanes. I usually go to Loves or TA/Petro, but prefer Loves as most of them have more room around the islands. Some of the TA stations are quite old and cramped at the pump.

One nice things about truck pumps are that they are much faster than the car/rv islands. You can get in and out a lot faster, especially when putting in 150 or more gallons...my record was 193 gallons so far on one of my Liberty coaches with a 230 tank.
Mark3101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2022, 10:01 AM   #16

But those of you that are happy to use the truck lanes probably don't have the SMALL neck fill tube that many of us do. My '02 Journey takes 95 gallons and standing in the wind and the cold while I nurse the fuel into my tank from a high speed, large diameter nozzle is NOT FUN. So yeah, TSD can save you money, but sometimes the need for comfort overrules it.

I have recently purchased an extender funnel and I hope that will help the situation when I fill at the truck pumps.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 11:45 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Today TSD is showing several stations nearby that are beating the local Gasbuddy prices I'm finding. By around $0.10/gallon. So instead of $4.73 at a local Arco where I'd have to backtrack when I leave town heading west, I can wait and pay the TSD $4.628 at a Petro just off the freeway along my route. So that's good.

The problem with giving my SSN to TSD isn't that I'm worried that someone on their staff would break into my account, that's not it at all. Basically the worry is that they have all my info in one place and since they are online and likely store all their users info there, a hacker could potentially steal my ID and using the info, clean me out.

Your cell phone is a greater risk vector than TSD having your SSN. With your phone number a hacker can probably own many of you accounts in 30 minutes or less.

My understanding of TSD's use of your SSN is it is unused for transaction purposes. They use it to authenticate and identify the applicant.
Old 03-12-2022, 12:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
Your cell phone is a greater risk vector than TSD having your SSN. With your phone number a hacker can probably own many of you accounts in 30 minutes or less.

My understanding of TSD's use of your SSN is it is unused for transaction purposes. They use it to authenticate and identify the applicant.
Where did you read that? Really doubt having a cell number at every one of the thousands of web sites I've entered it is going to expose myself to many hackers. Just isn't enough to go on.

The problem isn't that they use it at all, it's that the HAVE IT. On a computer, almost certainly connected to the internet. THAT's the problem.

If you haven't noticed, thousands of companies have their data hacked every year. "According to the Identity Theft Resource Center's 2021 Data Breach Report, there were 1,862 data breaches last year, surpassing both 2020's total of 1,108 and the previous record of 1,506 set in 2017." This was published Jan. 2022.

So yes, it's scary when I've spent so much time trying to protect myself from having my really important identifying SSN kept secret, that I needed to give it to some company when I know nothing about their security. But in this case, being frugal overruled my good sense.

Just a couple weeks ago, Google notified me that one of my old passwords had been compromised that I had used at 78 different companies over the last 20 odd years. I do try to remember to clean things out but a lot of online companies make it difficult to detach completely from their databases. And I can't remember everywhere I entered data like my phone number. (Often I use a fake one though).

TSD has my password, name, address, phone number, and SSN! Not to mention my BANKING INFO. So, it's scary. Most places I've signed on don't have all that much info about me. I can count they number on one hand. And those are banks and official government sites. I don't even know if TSD encrypts all their data like many companies do! Some only encrypt some of the data they collect. And many companies have been caught selling their data to other less scrupulous companies.

Well, enough of that. I'll get off the soap box now. When I signed up for TSD, I had my fingers crossed that they have good security. Sure hope I'm right about that.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 07:03 PM   #19

One thing I did was to set up a completely separate account at my bank for the TSD ach withdrawals. I keep a limited amount of money in that account so if a hacker got the TSD info or some error happened, no one has access to my primary bank accounts.
Old 03-19-2022, 04:23 PM   #20
jrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-1701A View Post
One thing I did was to set up a completely separate account at my bank for the TSD ach withdrawals. I keep a limited amount of money in that account so if a hacker got the TSD info or some error happened, no one has access to my primary bank accounts.
2X and setting up a separate acct allows for easy review of annual fuel costs. Love TSD and we fill up at TA's over 90% of the time.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 06:00 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs View Post
....2X and setting up a separate acct allows for easy review of annual fuel costs.....
Same here. Plus, when adding money to this fuel account...which is happening more frequently these days....I can do it on line.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 07:50 AM   #22

We have the TSD card and like using it when possible. We keep a separate account at the bank for this card. works well for us.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 08:25 AM   #23

We use TSD about 80% when travelling. I usually spot check with Gas Buddy. I also use Trucker Path to check truck stops along route. Usually find at least 1 truck stop that is cheaper than TSD.
Old 03-20-2022, 12:46 PM   #24

I can see big rigs fueling up at truckstops. I have looked at TSD and I can’t save any money using it. I have a 100gal auxiliary tank and I normally go for 2 days without buying diesel. I use 2 cards that save me money, a PenFed card and a Verizon card. The PenFed card saves me 5% and the Verizon card saves me 4%. The only time I use a truckstop is buying def. I normally can save more money at a Walmart station. If I didn’t have a auxiliary tank I would use truckstops
spock12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 01:00 PM   #25

Jayco Owners Club
It would be nice if I could see which local stations accept the TSD card and the discount prior to signing up for an account. I tried simply installing the app but it will not show me anything without an account. Do any of you know of an app or method to see what the fuel prices are prior to signing up? ~CA
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 01:20 PM   #26

TSD fuel card...

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
It would be nice if I could see which local stations accept the TSD card and the discount prior to signing up for an account. I tried simply installing the app but it will not show me anything without an account. Do any of you know of an app or method to see what the fuel prices are prior to signing up? ~CA

Your biggest discounts will be TA, stations it seems in Texas
Some Road Rangers, Love’s but at a lower savings. Only for diesel purchase’s at this time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0433.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	359759
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 01:37 PM   #27

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite17 View Post
Your biggest discounts will be TA, stations it seems in Texas
Some Road Rangers, Love’s but at a lower savings. Only for diesel purchase’s at this time.

Attachment 359759
Thanks Granite17, that helps a lot! I see the discounts in my area vary from .10 to .43 which is enough savings for me to sign up now.
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 02:57 PM   #28

I’ve not been on the road since November but while traveling if I find a TA station the card saves me about .40 a gallon. I doubt you will beat that by shopping around. Biggest problem is finding the stations. Loves gives some discount but not as much.
mebop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel