Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2023, 05:38 PM   #1

TSD saves us money

Recent email letter from TSD let us know the savings from the past four years was $55,302,574.00!

$1,855 was our savings for the four years

Thanks TSD!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2023, 06:12 PM   #2

It is a fantastic program
Old 02-08-2023, 06:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichnSue View Post
Recent email letter from TSD let us know the savings from the past four years was $55,302,574.00!

$1,855 was our savings for the four years

Thanks TSD!
Yep. Ours is not quite equal to yours, but mom and dad always told me, “A penny saved is a penny earned”. TSD is at the top of my list to not leave home without.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 06:17 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
We use it all the time when available.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 06:49 PM   #5

Our exclusive gas card. I pretty much plan all my gas stops according to the App.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 06:53 PM   #6

Yeah , we use it when we can..
Old 02-09-2023, 04:53 AM   #7

Love it also. TA's have the best discounts.
Old 02-09-2023, 06:36 AM   #8
Community Moderator

We saved about $780.00 last year using TSD.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 07:04 AM   #9

Just curios is the money saved the difference between the pump price at the location you fueled at and what you actually paid? What I am getting at is many times the pump prices are higher to begin with at the locations where TSD is accepted and if you could have fueled at a lower priced location instead the savings may not have been as much.
I get that you can use the truck lanes and now that I am going to be towing a car behind me for the first time I am considering getting the card just for that reason, but I am not so sure the savings are as much as claimed when nearby stations are cheaper to begin with. I also seem to remember reading something recently about one of the discount programs no longer being available to RVers but I don't remember where I saw it. Any input appreciated, trying to decide if this is worth it for me. Another issue for me is my motorhome cannot use B-20 which I understand is sold at a lot of truck stops.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 07:28 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
Just curios is the money saved the difference between the pump price at the location you fueled at and what you actually paid?

Yes.

But at 65 feet combined length, I would never visit any of those cheaper stations anyway…..just too risky….one “oops” moment and I’ve damaged more $$$ than I would have EVER saved from the discount fuel.

So the TSD card levels the playing field….giving me the same prices as the “cheaper” stations without the risk of maneuvering in tight quarters.

You risk nothing by getting the card! Get it and use it, or don’t use it, it’s your choice. A “no brainer” for me!
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 07:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Just curios is the money saved the difference between the pump price at the location you fueled at and what you actually paid? What I am getting at is many times the pump prices are higher to begin with at the locations where TSD is accepted and if you could have fueled at a lower priced location instead the savings may not have been as much.

I get that you can use the truck lanes and now that I am going to be towing a car behind me for the first time I am considering getting the card just for that reason, but I am not so sure the savings are as much as claimed when nearby stations are cheaper to begin with. I also seem to remember reading something recently about one of the discount programs no longer being available to RVers but I don't remember where I saw it. Any input appreciated, trying to decide if this is worth it for me. Another issue for me is my motorhome cannot use B-20 which I understand is sold at a lot of truck stops.
I hear ya. The TSD does save you money at participating truck stops. But yes, most truckstops I have seen inflate the price by 30 to 50 cents at a minimum over other local travel stops. So the savings isn't as good as claimed if you can use regular auto plazas.
I use the TSD card when I am out of my usual routes which are on SW I-10. There I would rather use Pilot/Flying J where the TSD card does no good at all. So I use my RV Plus card to pay at the truck lanes and get an 8 cent discount. Better than nothing.
So TSD can save you money, but it is not as much as claimed on their app. I find I can do nearly as well using my rewards card, just can't use it in the truck lanes unless I go in first.
Reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 07:41 AM   #12

TSD Savings

We have a Class C with toad. We can fit in almost all the "cheaper" stations without any issues. We compare TSD to Gasbuddy and use the most economical station. I agree that many of the national chain truck stops have inflated prices, but the regional players participating in The TSD plan, have significantly better pricing. Our tank is only 26 gallons (thanks Mercedes), so the TSD station has to be convenient and cheaper. On our last coast-to-coast trip we used the TSD card about 10 times.
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 08:09 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We have a Freightliner FL60 for towing our 35-foot 5th wheel. It has 75-gallon tanks on both sides of the truck, so it only makes sense to use the truck stops. With TSD it makes it more affordable to use the truck stops. Advantages of the truck stops is easy in and easy out, and a parking spot if you need to take a break. The truck stops are usually not as clean as the other fuel stations, but I can live with that. And yes, the savings is compared what you would have paid at the higher priced truck stops. If you want to use the convince of the truck stops to fuel up, I will highly recommend the TSD card. It cost nothing to have the card. We don't use it often, but the last few years that we have had it, it has saved use a lot of money for the trips we have taken. Another advantage is it doesn't shut the pumps off after pumping $75.00 worth of fuel. It lets you fuel up with several hundreds of dollar's worth of fuel at the pump. I have had to go inside the station a couple times because of the pump having problems reading the card but I had to go inside ever time when using my credit card. I did find that when I was having problems with the pump reading the card was to start over and most of the time it would work then.
L-M-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 08:17 AM   #14
Community Moderator

Quote:
The difference is the pump price and what we ended up paying after the "settlement" was processed.
For example, at Petro in El Paso, pump price was $122.00 total. Settlement price was $108.50, savings of $13.50 over the pump price.
Speedway in Delaware, Ohio, pump price was $193.97 total. Settlement was $171.20, savings of $22.77 over the pump price.

When we are traveling, we tow a 45-foot tri-axle 5th wheel. We look for the truck stops, to be find a place to also park and eat lunch.
If we see a station with a lower price, yes, we do use these, as long as there is room to maneuver in the parking lot, and to stay out of the way of other drivers.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
money