Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2021, 04:39 AM   #1

TST sensors - Stuck on valve stem and I can't remove

Maybe someone else has experienced this and has a solution. I have flow through sensors on the coach and regular sensors on the jeep. Two of the sensors on the jeep are on so tight that the tool that comes with the sensors to install/remove won't break them loose - seems the tool spreads open enough to slip out of the groove and not loosen the sensor. Apparently the tool "fingers" are not strong enough. I don't remember tightening the sensors that tight but guess I did.
I have put a couple drops of lube on the threads and left overnight - nope. I tried a 12mm wrench but there is a groove the tool slides into that the wrench can't. I have the RV Cap Wrench. I just ordered the RV Cap SE2 Wrench which has 2 different wrenches on it and I'm hoping that the bigger side will break these loose.
Anyone else have the same thing happen to them?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2021, 06:19 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I put new sensors on when I put new tires on in May, ambient temps were ~80F. Fast forward to this month I had a low pressure alarm come on and found the pressures low since ambient temps were ~45F in the UP of MI. When I tried to remove one of the sensors while topping off the air one of them was stuck. I had enough room to get a short box wrench on it and had to use a channel locks to get it off. Needless to say I didn't put it back on as tight.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 06:41 AM   #3

A light coating of anti-seize on the treads to prevent seizure from the dissimilar metals. When I install the sensors I tighten them just another 1/2 -3/4 turn max when I hear the air leak stop.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 06:45 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
A light coating of anti-seize on the treads to prevent seizure from the dissimilar metals. When I install the sensors I tighten them just another 1/2 -3/4 turn max when I hear the air leak stop.
Yep, this is it. Really light coating, almost not even any. When mine seized, I had to replace valve stems and sensors. :/ Mad!
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 06:49 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It might not be that they're too tight, but are corroding. I know that TireMinder sensors are sold with either aluminum or brass ferrules depending on what metal the valve stems are made of to alleviate this problem. A tiny amount of some grease on the threads would help serve as a moisture barrier and help with that a bit.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:28 AM   #6

I have never used the tool they included. I discarded the locking part and just screw them on hand snug. In 10+ years, have never had one that I could not screw off by hand. It's too easy to over tighten them with a tool and as mentioned corrosion might be the issue, but I have never seen it.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 10:21 AM   #7

Can you grab the outside of the tool with locking pliers to keep it from spreading? My solution to things like this is often to buy a cheap set of locking pliers at Harbor Freight and either grind the jaws or weld attachments to them to make a tool that works.
Jkwilson1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 08:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkwilson1989 View Post
Can you grab the outside of the tool with locking pliers to keep it from spreading? My solution to things like this is often to buy a cheap set of locking pliers at Harbor Freight and either grind the jaws or weld attachments to them to make a tool that works.
I don't think I have aluminum valve stems - maybe I do.
If the SE2 wrench doesn't work, I'll try using vise grips on them. Thanks for the suggestion.
Here is the normal tool

Here is SE2 - notice the bigger side, shouldn't spread like the little side.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:22 PM   #9

I don't know the size of the "Jam Nut" that TST includes in the kit, but can you use a "Crows Foot" wrench to loosen the nut? It will not spread apart like the included wrench. You can buy a set of crowsfoot wrenches at Harbor Freight for under $10. Cheaper than having to buy a new sensor. The technique would be to hold the sensor and try to turn the nut CLOCKWISE.

Also, the "Jam Nut" is provided for Theft Protection, not for keeping the sensor on the stem during travel. I don't use the nuts.
Good Luck.

Tim
Old 07-25-2021, 05:22 PM   #10

No jam nut. There is a collar at the base of the sensor - the part that threads onto the valve stem. The collar has a slot that the "wrench" slides into and that slot has 2 flat spots on it that the wrench uses to tighten/loosen.
TST also uses set screws on it's flow thru sensors, not jam nuts.
I should be receiving the new SE2 version any day and will report back.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 07-25-2021, 07:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB673 View Post
I don't know the size of the "Jam Nut" that TST includes in the kit, but can you use a "Crows Foot" wrench to loosen the nut? It will not spread apart like the included wrench. You can buy a set of crowsfoot wrenches at Harbor Freight for under $10. Cheaper than having to buy a new sensor. The technique would be to hold the sensor and try to turn the nut CLOCKWISE.

Also, the "Jam Nut" is provided for Theft Protection, not for keeping the sensor on the stem during travel. I don't use the nuts.
Good Luck.

Tim
It has to fit in a slot, otherwise any open end wrench would work.
Jkwilson1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 03:29 PM   #12

Here is the link to the TST 507 System.
Page 11 addresses the installation of the Cap Sensor onto the stem. Step 2 is pretty specific about how tight to install the sensor.

Page 17 addresses replacement of the battery. This is the only time where TST says to use the wrench on the sensor.

Kjwilson1989, My 507 system was bought this spring, and there are no "Slots" on MY sensors. Only the brass collar (with 2 flats) that threads onto the stem.

RKins, hope that the New wrench works!

Tim

https://tsttruck.com/media/productsu...anual-RevF.pdf
Old 07-28-2021, 03:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB673 View Post
Here is the link to the TST 507 System.
Page 11 addresses the installation of the Cap Sensor onto the stem. Step 2 is pretty specific about how tight to install the sensor.

Page 17 addresses replacement of the battery. This is the only time where TST says to use the wrench on the sensor.

Kjwilson1989, My 507 system was bought this spring, and there are no "Slots" on MY sensors. Only the brass collar (with 2 flats) that threads onto the stem.

RKins, hope that the New wrench works!

Tim
https://tsttruck.com/media/productsu...anual-RevF.pdf
Thanks for the info Tim. Not sure how old the manual is but my regular (non-flow through) sensors didn't come with a hex nut. The cap body design is that you can't turn the cap on or off without the wrench. If you try to get the sensor off without the wrench, it just spins. I will make sure to apply some anti-seize on the stem before I install next time. It's funny that the fronts come right off.
I hope the new wrench works too.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:06 PM   #14
NXR

Quote:
The cap body design is that you can't turn the cap on or off without the wrench. If you try to get the sensor off without the wrench, it just spins.
For whatever it's worth, many people just remove that spinning cap to reduce the nuisance factor and the weight. The newer TST 507 cap sensors, starting in maybe mid-2019, no longer even have the spinning cap part.

Ray

Tags
valve