Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2020, 02:47 PM   #1

TT-30R wiring help

Hi,
I been running 50ft of 10 ga. extension cord (5-15P house outlet) with an adapter to my TT-30R.

I am looking to upgrade the circuit and running a TT-30R from the power grid directly to a 4x4 post.

Here is a picture of the existing line

Black wire directly power a 20A circuit / breaker.
Red wire also power a separate 20A circuit/breaker.

How is the typical 30A TT-30R wire in this case ?

TIA,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_Imcoming_Circuit.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	329.5 KB
ID:	289517  
envy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2020, 03:04 PM   #2

TT30 and all 30 amp RVs are 120 volt only. 1 ( one ) hot line a neutral and a ground.

It is nothing more then then 10 amps more then a 20 amp house plug.

That box looks like its wired for 240 volts, black= hot, red=hot and white= neutral.

You want to only use one hot, red or black, and the neutral plus a ground.

With that box, being bonded to neutral and grounded, you should be able to tie both your neutral and ground of your TT30 outlet together in there.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 03:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by envy23 View Post
Hi,

I been running 50ft of 10 ga. extension cord (5-15P house outlet) with an adapter to my TT-30R.

I am looking to upgrade the circuit and running a TT-30R from the power grid directly to a 4x4 post.

TIA,

This box is a disaster about to happen. You need to get this reworked to code. Maybe with a new box with circuit breakers. The 3rd fuse holder is being used as a ground/neutral tie point. Get an electrician to wire it properly.
Old 06-14-2020, 04:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
TT30 and all 30 amp RVs are 120 volt only. 1 ( one ) hot line a neutral and a ground.

That box looks like its wired for 240 volts, black= hot, red=hot and white= neutral.

With that box, being bonded to neutral and grounded, you should be able to tie both your neutral and ground of your TT30 outlet together in there.

Unless it's fed directly from a meter or step down transformer, that box should be considered a sub-panel and neutral / ground should NOT be bonded inside it. That said, you are 100% right about this being wired for 120/240V service. It has 1 more hot leg than is necessary for the RV-30.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Hi,

TIA,
I guess my response here will be somewhat redundant, all the respondents are correct. First it can be made to work as us but you need to change the neutral and grounds to lug into the side ground bar. Personally I v would replace the box with an updated breaker box and wire in a 30 amp RV receptacle and a 15/20 amp receptacle and add a 8’ driven ground to the new box. If you savoy with electric I you will know the rest if not I would recommend having a competent electrician do this for you. I don’t want to advise in more depth because I don’t know what size wire is feeding the panel or what size breaker or fuse is protecting it at the source. What you have is a 3 phase panel wired in single phase 240 volt using the third phase fuse holder as a grounding lug. This allows for a ground/neutral failure which can be deadly if you or someone rose become the path to a ground source. Not trying to scare you but you do need to correct this regardless if you replace the box or rewrite it.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:32 AM   #6

I'm always hesitant to weigh in on these kinds of threads. I figure if you have to ask this kind of question, you probably should not be doing this work.

I'm all in favor of folks learning how to DIY. However, wiring lessons are best when taught face to face and not by persons on a forum with questionable qualifications.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:09 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Like others mentioned, if you are not familiar with electrical wiring, please contract this out. Toss that box and buy a good sub-panel from HD or Lowes. You need breakers, not the old school round fuses.

Here is a good website on what needs to be done.....

https://www.hunker.com/13414221/how-...-amp-sub-panel

Click image for larger version

Name:	ge-rv-electrical-panels-ge1lu032ss-64_1000.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	289690
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 05:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piros1 View Post
I guess my response here will be somewhat redundant, all the respondents are correct. First it can be made to work as us but you need to change the neutral and grounds to lug into the side ground bar. Personally I v would replace the box with an updated breaker box and wire in a 30 amp RV receptacle and a 15/20 amp receptacle and add a 8’ driven ground to the new box. If you savoy with electric I you will know the rest if not I would recommend having a competent electrician do this for you. I don’t want to advise in more depth because I don’t know what size wire is feeding the panel or what size breaker or fuse is protecting it at the source. What you have is a 3 phase panel wired in single phase 240 volt using the third phase fuse holder as a grounding lug. This allows for a ground/neutral failure which can be deadly if you or someone rose become the path to a ground source. Not trying to scare you but you do need to correct this regardless if you replace the box or rewrite it.
Thanks Piros1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
Unless it's fed directly from a meter or step down transformer, that box should be considered a sub-panel and neutral / ground should NOT be bonded inside it. That said, you are 100% right about this being wired for 120/240V service. It has 1 more hot leg than is necessary for the RV-30.
I would not know about sub-panel, Solo_RV_Guy : from visual inspection, the supplied power coming from two red / black wires plus an open/bare wire, and this directly next to the electrical meter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

Thanks Twinboat,

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I'm always hesitant to weigh in on these kinds of threads. I figure if you have to ask this kind of question, you probably should not be doing this work.

I'm all in favor of folks learning how to DIY. However, wiring lessons are best when taught face to face and not by persons on a forum with questionable qualifications.
Thank hohenwald48, I am with you
the hope of this discussion is not about who doing the work, but about how to retrofit a existing circuit, whether this was done correctly at that time ( +80 years old property) to may be current code and still preserved safety... Note this may have to be wire way back then from 100 % qualified electrical professional.. I hope to gain proper knowledge to make sure it being done correctly by the so call professional today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
Like others mentioned, if you are not familiar with electrical wiring, please contract this out. Toss that box and buy a good sub-panel from HD or Lowes. You need breakers, not the old school round fuses.

Here is a good website on what needs to be done.....

https://www.hunker.com/13414221/how-...-amp-sub-panel

Attachment 289690
Thank egwilly, I know more about neutral and ground today.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:21 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Is there a disconnect switch at the meter to isolate this box. If not the incoming wires into the the top of the box will always be hot.

So if you are working in the box there is potential to come in contact with a hot wire. Safety First.

Although I had some electrical knowledge I had to do quite a bit of research when I decided to wire my new house. I live in TN where the home owner can do this. You still have to get all the permits and follow the codes but it is doable.
As a result I decided to add a safety disconnect between the meter and my service panels. That way I can completely isolate any circuit to work on it without fear of power coming to the panel.

FWIW, I added an RV panel in my parking area that has a 50/30/20 amp plug. Since this is a subpanel the ground and neutral are kept separate. The bonding is only at the primary panel.

Good Luck
Safe Travels
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 11:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Is there a disconnect switch at the meter to isolate this box. If not the incoming wires into the the top of the box will always be hot.

So if you are working in the box there is potential to come in contact with a hot wire. Safety First.

Although I had some electrical knowledge I had to do quite a bit of research when I decided to wire my new house. I live in TN where the home owner can do this. You still have to get all the permits and follow the codes but it is doable.
As a result I decided to add a safety disconnect between the meter and my service panels. That way I can completely isolate any circuit to work on it without fear of power coming to the panel.

FWIW, I added an RV panel in my parking area that has a 50/30/20 amp plug. Since this is a subpanel the ground and neutral are kept separate. The bonding is only at the primary panel.

Good Luck
Safe Travels
Thanks jacwjames, l look and there is a pull switch so I will pay attention to the process ....
Old 06-16-2020, 11:31 AM   #11

and also a new DMM with clamp on amp reading--

Since all of the change is to fix:
1. Create a safe connection instead of running extension cord around the yard.
2. Provide a permanent 30A current for both AC/microwave to perform when needed instead of 15A limitation .

I am purchasing a
KAIWEETS Digital Clamp Meter T-RMS 6000 Counts, Multimeter Voltage Tester Auto-ranging, Measures Current Voltage Temperature Capacitance Resistance Diodes Continuity Duty-Cycle (AC/DC CURRENT)

This will provide me to clamp on the hot wire (existing 15A) and check to see how much current my RV actually draw, this will also validate how much it will draw once I am on the 30A with real TT-30R.

And thanks for all to clearly identify the circuit are actually 240V : I have an electrician who say this is 120V once I send him the picture...

EV-
Old 06-16-2020, 11:46 AM   #12

Quote:
And thanks for all to clearly identify the circuit are actually 240V : I have an electrician who say this is 120V once I send him the picture...
It's a 120/240V feeder or service due to the presence of the neutral, assuming there's 240V between the two hots. A 240V circuit doesn't have a neutral, and a 120V circuit only has one ungrounded (hot) conductor. You can drive a 120V load (like your 30A RV), or a 240V load (like a water heater or welding machine), or a 120/240V load (like a range or cooktop or oven or clothes dryer or 50A RV) from it potentially. In theory, of course, as I can't tell what the wiring gauge and insulation class is, nor what's upstream of it.

And it needs to be updated, as it's a mess, which I know you're aware of. Not hard to do at all assuming its source is already properly wired.
Old 06-17-2020, 05:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
It's a 120/240V feeder or service due to the presence of the neutral, assuming there's 240V between the two hots. A 240V circuit doesn't have a neutral, and a 120V circuit only has one ungrounded (hot) conductor. You can drive a 120V load (like your 30A RV), or a 240V load (like a water heater or welding machine), or a 120/240V load (like a range or cooktop or oven or clothes dryer or 50A RV) from it potentially. In theory, of course, as I can't tell what the wiring gauge and insulation class is, nor what's upstream of it.

And it needs to be updated, as it's a mess, which I know you're aware of. Not hard to do at all assuming its source is already properly wired.
Thanks KanzKran: I am aware now ... taking out the box may need a power supplier involve and I am waiting for a possible covid-19 delay.

EV-
Old 06-17-2020, 10:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Thanks KanzKran: I am aware now ... taking out the box may need a power supplier involve and I am waiting for a possible covid-19 delay.

EV-
If you decide to retain the existing 3 phase switch, just remember, 30 amps #10 wire and 30 amp fuse.
By the way, the Neutral bar is to the Left of the Left fuse.
Also, the correct way to wire a 3 Phase Switch for Single Phase use is to land the Line conductors on the 2 Outer Poles and leave the Middle Pole empty. Only fuse the wire that will go to your new rv receptacle. Leave the spare fuse in the bottom of the switch for later use.
What does this switch feed now?

Tags
wiring