Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2019, 10:03 AM   #1

Turn off water?

Getting ready to take a month long trip out West. Was considering turning off the water to the house...anyone do this? Good, bad practice?

Thanks...
krsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2019, 10:09 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by krsmitty View Post
Getting ready to take a month long trip out West. Was considering turning off the water to the house...anyone do this? Good, bad practice?

Thanks...
Not a bad idea. We had a WH leak while on vacation once,. Neighbor saw it and came over and turned off the water to the house.

Neighbor behind me had a pool pump water leak. Water shooting up in the air. i went over and turned off his water.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:09 AM   #3

Wink Do it...

Every time we leave for a day or more I just close the valve where the water line comes to the house. My irrigation stays on as it is not shut off when I close the house valve. If anything goes south while you are gone, washing machine hoses are notorious for catastrophic failures though toilets can leak as well you are looking at a disaster.

The way I look at it there is no reason not to take 30 seconds and shut the house down as coming home to a flooded house would not be much fun.

As always... opinions and YMMV.

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:09 AM   #4

Were on a well, since we also have inground sprinklers I leave the water on. Turn off the water heater, set the AC to something like 75-78 and go
Old 05-13-2019, 10:10 AM   #5

If I turned off my water in the summer, my lawn would die. If that isn't a problem in Florida, I think it's a good idea even though you don't have any possibly of frozen/broken pipes. I also turn off my water heater.

I called my insurance company last year about a winter vacation and was told 1. Turn off the water or we won't cover your losses. 2. Set the thermostat no lower than 55* or we won't cover your losses.
CIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:15 AM   #6

We are usually gone for longer than a month, but turning off the city water is a good idea, even for a short excursion.

We also pour mineral oil in the drain traps to prevent evaporation. Be sure to turn off the circuit breaker to the water heater to prevent burning that out.

We like to leave the air conditioner set to a minimal level just to keep the humidity under control. Your location may not require that, of course.

We also set off a couple of bug bombs as we are leaving.

Other than that, you should be fine.

Good luck on your travels.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:29 AM   #7

Absolutely !! My brother had a major flood when a toilet tank on the second floor developed a crack and the water ran continuously for almost a week until a neighbor saw water running down his driveway. The ceilings and walls, which were all plaster and lath (not drywall) and the hardwood floors on the first floor were beyond repair, and the basement had about 2 feet of standing water, ruining the ceiling, walls and flooring down there, not to mention the appliances and belongings stored there. All in all, about $400,000 in damage and they were unable to live in the house for almost two months.

Personally, we have a separate meter and line for irrigation which we leave on when we're on the road. House service gets turned off, including the water heater and the fridge's ice maker.
EdBoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:30 AM   #8

Thanks...always turn of the water heater and turn up A/C. Never have done the water to the house, but thought it might be a good idea.
krsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:08 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We turn off the water any time we will be gone overnight! One time when we were gone for several days someone turned on an outside faucet and our water bill was over $300.00.
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:17 AM   #10

Yes!!! Our friends went to Alaska for a month. Their dishwasher broke and their water usage was 50,000 gallons. They had to gut their lower level (black mold had set in) and they spent six months during a Minnesota winter before they were able to move back into their home.

Have a nice day - Darrel
Old 05-13-2019, 04:53 PM   #11

We turn off the water to the house. Leave the irrigation system on.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
We turn off the water any time we will be gone overnight! One time when we were gone for several days someone turned on an outside faucet and our water bill was over $300.00.
well the main water valve is outside also, anyone could turn it back on. think I'll look into valve locks.
2018 Forest River 2851SLE "Forester" E-450 Class C , Sumo Springs bump stops Front & Rear, Hellwig Sway Bars Front & Rear, Bilstein HD shocks front & rear, Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer, alignment set to +5 caster. (that's it, out of $$$)
riverforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:52 PM   #13

I actually installed an electric valve in the main water feed to my house. Whenever we're gone for more than a few hours I just flip the switch on the way out.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-13-2019, 07:56 PM   #14

Yep, always turn off the water and water heater.

Tags
water