Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2011, 07:28 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
TV Antenna

Just pulled my first "NEWBIE" mistake. I took off without lowering the TV Antenna. Hit some low hanging branches and I think it is really broken. Have to climb up there tomorrow and check. ANyone eber replace a crank up TV antenna on a bounder? HAve it done by the dealer? Do it yourself? Need advice!! Won't forget again!!

Jim
jamesvinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2011, 07:42 PM   #2

Did the same thing earlier this summer, felt really stupid since I should know better. Replacing the whole thing was the best option for me, the parts would have cost more than a new antenna.

The process is relatively easy, just follow the installation instructions that come with the new antenna, I didn't snake in new coax, the old stuff was fine and there was a connection just under the old antenna. I sealed the new antenna with butyl tape and finished with Dicor self leveling sealant on the edges and screw heads. The whole thing took about an hour to remove/replace with new.

Good Luck.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:49 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
I tie a ribbon too my steering wheel to remind me of things to check before i move the coach.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:50 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
CW has a bright day glow sign which I hand from my visors asking Have you lowered your antenna? Also some people hang theri keys from the antenna crank---can't leave without knowing it is up.

I havenever driven off with my antenna up----but my 50 amp cord is much shorter than normal----ran over it -----twice. I hang the sign there to remind me that I am plugged in at home.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:57 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdale View Post
I tie a ribbon too my steering wheel to remind me of things to check before i move the coach.
I hang the keys from the crank, haven't driven off with it up since and I still have the original antenna with NO repairs!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:31 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Did that in Florida CG a few years ago. Moving from one campsite to another. Who would have thought there would be a tree between the two sites............. All I had to replace was a plastic gear that was easily accessible. I have read that there are now replacement heads for digital cable so maybe that is what you need to look for, depending on what you broke............good luck................ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:38 PM   #7

TV Antennea

If I were to have to replace my TV antennae, I'd get one that will bring in all the stations. I think the brand name is Jack and it mounts on any system. Just research it on the web.
sunshineOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:49 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
put in on your check list.
cannon man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:30 AM   #9

You will want to see what damage has been done. Did it tear off and the interior pieces fall into the coach? If so, you likely would be better off buying a complete new antenna. No need to replace mounting part on the roof but you can install the new parts into the base and you will be back in business with an antenna that will get you all of your programming.
If you did not tear the thing up you may have just broken the plastic gear that raises and lowers the antenna and/or possibly the worm drive gear that is located under the black plastic hexagonal cap on the roof. If the antenna and arms are fine you can but the individual parts for very little money. Let me know if you need more help. If you need more info, post pictures if you can.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:41 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Haven't taken off yet with the antenna up but I can see how it would be easy to do. Our rig has a buzzer and dash light marked antenna that goes off every time you start up. That makes it easy to ignore. So why do you suppose RV manufacturers have not come up with a true ignition switch powered alarm that only goes off when you have actually left the antenna up? I would think a simple 12V powered magnetic type switch would do the trick.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:50 AM   #11
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Luckily our motor home came with lights for the antenna and jacks. Too bad there wasn't a light for the shore power cord. Ripped off the plug and tipped the outlet post.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:23 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
just received my JACK antenna from CW yesterday. so when I get it installed no more cranking up and down. I did not forget to put mine down, but I think it is getting weak. I can park right next to another rv and they get more channels then me. I know the amp is working because when I turn it off I loose evey thing. even if it does not improve my reception, no more cranking up and down, plus it has leds to tell you which direction the best signal is comming from.
mikf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:57 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First: The antenna is in many parts.. Assuming a winegard "Sensar"

If the damage is just to the "wings" Simply bend 'em back in shape. they are "solid" metal (There is a hole in the center of course) and contain no electronics.

If the damage is to the HEAD (IE: Wing tore off) then you need to replace the head, you can use another Sensar (I'd go with III) or a Jack Antenna from King Controls. Easy job,

First: TURN OFF the antenna at either the wall plate or the box of many buttons (Turn off the power light) then go topside and disconnect the coax from the head. .Then pull two pins.. that's all. and lift it off, replacement is reverse.

If the damage is to the lift arms.... Then you will need new lift arms. .It is still and easy job but without the instructions in front of me I can't tell you how to proceed save to start by getting new lift arms.

If the gear got stripped... Likewise.

Tags
antenna