Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2014, 08:55 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
TV antenna? newbie here please help.

Ok, someone help, I thought all analog signal went out a few years ago, how can I get a signal with an antenna? They wouldn't put it on there if it didn't work. Help please, I can't get a signal.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2014, 09:39 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
?

So, what are you trying to do, and with what are you trying to do?
mwwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:00 PM   #3

If you're talking about a Batwing antenna, it will pick up digital signals just fine, but there is an adapter ($25-30) to make it even more efficient. It doesn't matter whether it is an analog or digital signal. There are a few special purpose analog station still broadcasting. If you have the old style TV, you will need a converter to receive the digital signals. If you have newer flatscreen TVs (since say 2007) you should be ok without a converter.

As the PP said, let us know more about what you sertup is and what seems to be wrong. Is it a new problem? Are you in a new-to-you RV? Has it ever worked? is it the same on all TVs?
Old 06-04-2014, 10:15 PM   #4

You should be able to receive both types of signals with your ant. As stated before you will need a converter box if your TV are the older style without a digital tuner. Tell us more.
rumrunnerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:22 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Ok, I forgot to mention this is my first trailer. Its a 2012 with one flat screen. I believe it is what you call a batwing, sorry, still learning. I have had the TV scan and it finds nothing. Hooked up wrong? I really have no idea or experience so any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:30 PM   #6

Most ant have an amplifier with them. Without that being on you probably won't get much for signals. Mine is up front inside the cupboard. You need to find yours and turn it on.
rumrunnerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:28 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrunnerxx View Post
Most ant have an amplifier with them. Without that being on you probably won't get much for signals. Mine is up front inside the cupboard. You need to find yours and turn it on.
Yep, turn on the Amp or you won't get anything, it should be a switch somewhere in the trailer
Tyler6357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:23 AM   #8

Also, make sure when you do your scan that the Input is set to ANTENNA, not cable, unless you are hooked up to cable in a campground, then you'll need to change it.

Jim
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:51 AM   #9

Nor'easters Club
All good ideas, I'll get on that right now and report back.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:58 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First you need either a TV that is capable of ATSC digital over the air reception, this will be a "Wide Screen" model though I'm not sure all Wide Screens can do ATSC.. If you only have an older TV, then you can use a digital TV adapter. or a Digital TV DVR (TiVo or similar) in front of the TV (Between the Antenna/cable switch and the TV) one per TV.

The signal is was and always shall be analog.. The modulation however can be many things, Analog (The old NTSC TV standard) or Digital (ATSC) FM (radio (it is between vhf low and vhf high bands) and assorted other formats too numerous to mention and some of which are classified and thus I only know they exist, not anything about them, lets call them "encrypted" for generic use.

The Antenna only cares about the FREQUENCY, it does not care about how that frequency is modulated. SO.

Back in say 2000, in the days of NTSC, TV stations broadcast on frequencies which were designated by their channel number, the numbers used were originally 1-13, then 1 got dropped, and it was 2-13, they they added UHF so it became 2-83, then they dropped the high end of the UHF band and I think it became 2-69 (might be 62 but I think it was 69) and today, in the ATSC Digital age it is mostly 7-69 though there are still a few hangers on in the VHF low (2-6) band.

In short, from the point of view of the antenna... NOTHING CHANGED, and the antenna that worked for you in the old days still works today... But read on.

First: a fact: Pushing 100 Watts peak into the wire I can talk to most of the US with my 2-way radio... Pushing 30-40, I can TYPE (digital) to most of the world and have confirmed contacts from Italy, Spain, France, Germany and so on.. Same transmitter, Same wire antenna, Same same same save I am running less than half the power on digital and getting several times the range. I have ONE count it ONE overseas contact on voice (North Scotland as I recall). Not confirmed.

TV stations, when the world went Digital in 2007, did two things.. Many of them moved up in frequency (not all) thus channels 7 (7-1 and 7-1) where I am today is really channel 7 (VHF Hi), But in Detroit, where I'm from Channels 7 (-1-2-3) are on channel 41 (UHF)

The standard Winegard Sensar "Batwing" is not that great at UHF, but adding the WINGMAN, greatly improves the gain (And directionality if that is a word) on UHF, enabling you to peak the channel much stronger.

They also lowered power, (As I do when transmitting digital only more so) with some stations being like 10-20 percent of what they once burned.. I have a political line I could isert here but.. I won't.

The result is you can use even more gain.. Winegard came out with the SENSAR PRO. this module replaces the wall plate/power supply/switch/splitter that is in many RV's... OR it can be installed AHEAD of the box of many buttons if you have one of those. ONLY device I suggest for installation in front of the BOMB.

The sensar pro contains aids to aiming the antenna too, Too many for this post. As well as additional amplification if needed (Adjustable).

How I do it when I make a major move (minor moves I shortcut).

Put up antenna turn on Sensar Pro-display and let it snag the strongest signal.. IF it is an area I visit often then I will override and select the best channel to peak (NOTE: this is not the channel number, normally, that will later appear on my TV). Turn the antenna to peak on the Sensar Pro's uppper display. I also use an antenna helper free app on my smart phone to suggest a direction to look,, Very informative.

Then to the TV, Access the set up menu and scan for stations (NOTE: if you have older tv then you scan using the adapter's menu & Remote).

Now you can scroll through the stations.. You can get a TV guide from services like Zap2it.com and finally you can decide if you need to re-aim the antenna.

Many folks will "Quarter" the antenna,, That is start by turning it all the way one way, then scan, turn it 90 degree (well, about) re-scan, and so on till you get to the other stop.. Pick the quarter that works best (Gives most stations generally, or at least the networks you want) and fine tune as described above. If you do not go with the sensar pro skip to bottom and return here later.
Then I get a listing of all the stations it found.. one of my adapters has a GUIDE function (like a Dish Network Receiver, the adapter even uses a Dish Network Remote, and its remote controls a VIP-211K, DTV-Pal by Echostar).

I have 2 digital adapters feeding two Analog DVR's feeding two Digital TV's.. Kind of rube goldburg but it all works, and it gives me a lot of experience in setting up this stuff.

If you do not have a Sensar Pro as I do.. Then you use your TV, Scan, pick a station and access the DTV SIGNAL option on the menu, peak with it.. not nearly as easy as with the PRO but it works.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:03 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired and Happy View Post
If you're talking about a Batwing antenna, it will pick up digital signals just fine, but there is an adapter ($25-30) to make it even more efficient. It doesn't matter whether it is an analog or digital signal. There are a few special purpose analog station still broadcasting. If you have the old style TV, you will need a converter to receive the digital signals. If you have newer flatscreen TVs (since say 2007) you should be ok without a converter.

As the PP said, let us know more about what you sertup is and what seems to be wrong. Is it a new problem? Are you in a new-to-you RV? Has it ever worked? is it the same on all TVs?
Do you know if that adapter works and is worth the moeny? Thanks
Old 06-05-2014, 09:03 AM   #12

I'm also assuming you have elevated your antenna. Do you have a video switch , usually in some front cabinet? And if so, is it set for antenna? Is there a cable connected to the back that says ANT IN, and one that says TO TV?

Most of the antenna power switches I have seen have a small red light on them with a very small slide switch, and maybe a coax connector, which i have never seen used. The batwing antenna has a circuit board in it that must receive the power from inside your trailer.

Also I suggest you go to USER CP at the top of the page and find the signature section. Enter your signature information so more knowledgable people hereabouts will be able to zoom in on your problems/questions in the future.

And WELCOME to the board. Don't worry about being a newbie. All of us were at some time.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:25 AM   #13

Gadget, I have two models of the converter, bought when the government was issuing coupons to reduce the price. One does not have any volume control and does not seem to make the volume nearly loud enough to hear reasonably. That is the Magnavox. I also have an Apex that does have a volume control and seems to work better. Both allow setting the TV to channel 3 or 4, and have coax and Audio/video phono plug connectors. Note that with the converter, the TV is left on the selected channel (3 or 4) and the viewing channel is changed with/on the converter's remote. Power on/off is done separately for the TV and the converter, although I usually leave the remote on unless I am going on vacation.

All that said, unless you have a TV that must be used on an antenna that you really like, it is probably more pactical to go ahead and get a digital-ready flatscreen TV. I still have two TV's in the house and one in the MH that use converters. I'm too cheap to buy that many flatscreens. If you use cable or satellite, you should not need the converter. Just connect the incoming signal to the TV and program it for the service provided. Hope this helps.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:30 AM   #14

Nor'easters Club
Thanks everyone, I thought I had it a figured out but couldn't get a signal at the last site and I had to listen to the race on the radio. ( I know, the ways we suffer ). Anyway, all I didn't know about was that little button on the antenna hookup. Thanks to you all I found the amp button and I'm out in my driveway with perfect reception.

Thanks again everyone, this site has helped so much.

P.s. I did put my info in the signature, did you mean I should add other info?

Tags
antenna, newbie