Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2018, 12:34 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
TV Antenna removal add new King Jack??

Hello,

We are going to replace our old batwing antenna and are looking at the King Jack. Has anyone completely removed their old batwing and replaced it with a King Jack?

We are looking at the model with the "signal finder". Our antenna wire comes through the roof right at the anchoring plate for the old batwing. We feel we should be able to remove all the old caulk, take off the batwing base and replace with the new antenna and use the old cable.

What do you think? Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2018, 12:39 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have the King Jack. After buying it I found out that it isn’t the best for signal reception. I don’t know which are better but I would search around more before purchasing

Good luck!
Chargerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:43 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Did the replacement a few years back and can't recall and problems. No memories are good memories?

The signal finder is nice but if don't know the direction of the particular transmitter site it isn't much use. No way to tell of the signal is channel 2 or 52 or a combination of 2, 4 and 11. I did find the antenna to be a bit more tolerant with picking up channels that the antenna was not directly aimed at. In other words I could split two transmitters that were as much as 90 degrees or so separated and get a good signal with both. It's not omnidirectional but not picky about being pointed directly at the transmitting antenna.

The optional mounting plate covered the footprint for the batwing and give me a nice square flat plate to seal.

The coax from the entertainment center needs to reach the base of the antenna head. Ensure you have enough length. What ever you were using to power the batwing will work with the jack.

And finally if you are doing the swap because the you think the older batwing that was designed and built back in the dark days of analog TV and is not as efficient pulling in a digital TV signal, well nothing could be further from the truth. Save the cash for a partial fill up of fuel or a few days at your favorite camp site. I replaced mine after the lifting gear failed and to be honest I can be a bit lazy. Not having to lower the antenna before traveling is kind of nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170514_172341.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	207607  
Old 06-18-2018, 09:21 PM   #4

Since our MH does not have anything to catch a tree branch or anything similar, I'm not concerned with branches scraping the roof, as the OEM antenna lays flat( I crank it down tight) against the roof. The "Jack" sticks up 9" all the time. Think I'll stay with my tried and true antenna, and my TV's have a built-in signal meter already.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:03 PM   #5

Batwing with a Wingman seems to work real well for us....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:11 AM   #6
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Batwing with a Wingman seems to work real well for us....
I just added that Wingman to our existing antenna last summer and at our summer CG, added eight channels for 25 bucks and 15 minutes installation time, much of that finding a tool to pop out the plugs.

I've yet to hear anyone say that the King Jack is better then the tried and well proven crank up Winegard
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
Hello,

We are going to replace our old batwing antenna and are looking at the King Jack. Has anyone completely removed their old batwing and replaced it with a King Jack?

We are looking at the model with the "signal finder". Our antenna wire comes through the roof right at the anchoring plate for the old batwing. We feel we should be able to remove all the old caulk, take off the batwing base and replace with the new antenna and use the old cable.

What do you think? Lynne

I had a King Jack on my Endeavor .... replaced a damaged batwing. The Jack had adequate reception out to about 60 miles. No complaints.

Why are you considering replacement?
Old 06-21-2018, 09:12 PM   #8

I've done it on two rigs now. The main reason was to never have to remember to lower the antenna before driving off. :^)
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:14 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Got rid of King. Winegard with Wingman gives me better reception because it's higher. A/C's sometimes in way with King. But got to remember to put Winegard down.
But using it less due to unlimited internet on cell phones.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:43 AM   #10

You could always adapt the Jack to the batwing lift system....and for those that don't get out often, place a flag of some sort on the crank handle....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
You could always adapt the Jack to the batwing lift system....and for those that don't get out often, place a flag of some sort on the crank handle....
I have a "slap strap" that goes on the steering wheel before the antenna is raised. It's impossible to ignore the bright orange strap when sitting in drivers seat; and, Winnebago has a yellow dash light that comes on when the ignition key is turned on that says "check antenna".
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, removal