Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2014, 08:25 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
A lot of the answers to your questions would depend on what you want to do and see.
Where do you want to go: ski resorts, national parks, concerts, sporting events or ???

We only travel 2 to 300 miles a day when going to a specific destination for a particular purpose.

Traveling in the winter will limit your area of the country. Lots of northern RV parks and government facilities are closed. And highway travel, even in the south, can be iffy. (Ask me about the Texas panhandle.)

Two couples? Is this a trick question?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2014, 09:23 PM   #16

I notice a lot of cynicism about 2 couples traveling together. They might be right. The only reason I would consider it, is we have been taking vacations together for many years, and always get along well.

It is why I would only consider a Class A motor home,as I would think there is enough room for people to have their own privacy, when desired. Am I wrong about that?

Don't couples get bored traveling around with no friends?
Ron750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:41 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
Also remember to plan for the unexpected Google Maps says it should take me less than 3 hours to make a trip I do frequently. With stops at the rest area and for gas it usually takes me 4 hours. Last time it took 6 hours to make the same drive. The wonderful Hwy. Dept. decided that was a good time to shut down I-10 to do bridge repair.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:41 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron750 View Post
It is why I would only consider a Class A motor home,as I would think there is enough room for people to have their own privacy, when desired. Am I wrong about that?
Maybe I am wrong.
I have a fairly large Class A MH, and would not even consider going anywhere for a long time with another couple. "Travel 6, Dine 4, and Sleep 2" is the saying I have heard about motorhomes.
Never had a 5th wheel, but I understand they have a lot more room for a family: separate bedrooms, divided areas, etc.
Of course a fiver is an entirely different animal.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:17 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron750 View Post
I notice a lot of cynicism about 2 couples traveling together. They might be right. The only reason I would consider it, is we have been taking vacations together for many years, and always get along well.

Don't couples get bored traveling around with no friends?

I know you said during the Winter, but does that mean 3/4 months straight on the road? Couple weeks at a time?

How have you taken those vacations in the past? Did you share a condo/hotel/cabin? Even in a 45' MH if you subtract the drivers area, rear engine if diesel pusher, etc my guess would be around 38/39 feet of length of livable area with around 11/12 feet of width in areas with slides extended. 400 square feet of total living area isn't much for 4 people.

Of course one couple could occasionally stay in a hotel to get a needed break from each other if needed.

Can't speak for anyone but myself, but me and my DW don't get bored traveling by ourselves. We meet up with friends and family when in their neck of the woods, and we always meet new friends when on the road.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:27 AM   #20

When I see the cost of acquiring, operating and maintaining a DP, and the fact that most think it is a bad idea to travel with another couple, maybe I will reconsider my plan. Maybe 2 smaller Rvs or 1 car and 1 RV/toy hauler 5th wheel.
In a squeeze we could stay in fifth wheel, usually motels or RCI time share.
I know on my motorcycle forum, newbies rarely listen to the experienced riders telling them to start on a smaller bike. I will not make that mistake. Thanks for the feedback.
I have plenty of time to formulate a plan, as I am not retiring for at least 6 years.
Ron750 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, itinerary, motorhome, operating costs