Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2015, 03:46 PM   #1

Uh Oh...Bad Awning Day!

We're at Absaroka Bay in Cody and it got really windy here. I watched an awning on a neighboring TT blow but it seemed to be holding pretty good. I kept thinking the people would come back but they never did so several us tried to figure out how to roll it up. We finally decided it must be electric so tied the arms down but the awning had already begun to tear.

At least the frame can't come apart and damage the roof but it's bent so may not be usable. I feel bad for the owners.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2015, 03:57 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:12 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Very nice of you to lend a hand to a fellow camper, some would have looked the other way. Very thoughtful.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:25 PM   #4

There were 5 of us trying to tie it down and prevent more damage & we only did what we hope someone would do for us if we were in a similar situation.

When we walked by after supper, it was rolled up and the arms looked to be where they were supposed to be so maybe the frame is okay.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:38 AM   #5

I'm always surprised that some people will leave their awnings out when they know they'll be gone for quite some time. Especially in areas that are prone to thunderstorms, and strong winds. Even though mine are tied down, and have de-flappers, I'll roll 'em up when day tripping for an entire day.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
I'm always surprised that some people will leave their awnings out when they know they'll be gone for quite some time. Especially in areas that are prone to thunderstorms, and strong winds. Even though mine are tied down, and have de-flappers, I'll roll 'em up when day tripping for an entire day.
X-2 there was a post about a good night sleep. To me it's when you hear it starting to rain and the wind blowing the awning is up I just turn over and sleep like a baby.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:30 AM   #7
rpk

The wind always blows here in the Gorge. 7 deflappers and 7 or 8 heavy plants hanging from the rail have worked well to keep the awning steady.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:18 PM   #8

We were in the Outer Banks camping one year when I heard a loud "rip". O camper about 10 sites down had its awning tear away from the trailer. A bunch of us went down and rolled it up as best we could and tied the roll with rope to keep it together. This years trip to OBX had a similar occurrence but tore at the rail end. The owner was there though and we helped roll his up with him. I was too nervous to open mine most of the trip. We even saw one family's screen house blow away
Monster99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:58 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our electric awning has a wind sensor - if it detects a gust greater than 13 mph it will roll itself up. It's a bit disconcerting when you're sitting under it enjoying a drink and it decides to roll itself up forno apparent reason as a short gust of wind hits the sensor on the roof!
Old 08-17-2015, 05:19 PM   #10

Although tying it down might have seemed to be the thing to do, it appears that awning has air springs. These allow the awning to billow in the wind and return to position. A kind of bend-don't-break design. I posted about it here.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koop View Post
Although tying it down might have seemed to be the thing to do, it appears that awning has air springs. These allow the awning to billow in the wind and return to position. A kind of bend-don't-break design. I posted about it here.
It was flapping and billowing BUT it had started to rip before we tied it down & ripped only a little more after. We were more concerned that the frame would tear loose and damage the roof.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:41 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
We were at Absaroka a few years ago when winds totally destroyed the owners vegie garden, we joked with the owner, his response "Yep, the wind blows here".

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning