Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2008, 02:54 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Location: Full-Timer (Thousand Palms RV Resort - Inverness Fl)
I might be the only dummy that pulls up to a diesel pump and doesn't check the USLD vs LSD decal closely but I think another person right before me might have made the same mistake. We stopped at a Flying J in NC on the way to Florida and since I was down about a 1/2 tank decided to top off. Pulled into the RV lane and waited my turn behind a 40' Winnie. When I pulled up I noticed the green decal indicating LSD diesel but it didn't register very well (looks identical to the USLD sticker). Starting fueling and checked windshield and then looked at the pump again and noticed it said LSD - .....not to be used in 2007 .....and so forth. I killed the pump and asked the guy driving the Flying J tanker what was up. He said they didn't have enough tanks and only had the ULSD on 2 of the trucker's lanes. This is the only time I have ever noticed this - I do check for the label but just had a "senior moment" this time I guess. Luckily only ran about 10 gallons in and then I finished topping off at another station - so far no problems and just filled up (with ULSD) - Kept wondering how the guy before me made out - hope he didn't run the whole 100 gallons or so. Anyway I will check closer but still think Flying J could have at least put a little bigger sticker on the pumps.
MCPO Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2008, 02:54 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I might be the only dummy that pulls up to a diesel pump and doesn't check the USLD vs LSD decal closely but I think another person right before me might have made the same mistake. We stopped at a Flying J in NC on the way to Florida and since I was down about a 1/2 tank decided to top off. Pulled into the RV lane and waited my turn behind a 40' Winnie. When I pulled up I noticed the green decal indicating LSD diesel but it didn't register very well (looks identical to the USLD sticker). Starting fueling and checked windshield and then looked at the pump again and noticed it said LSD - .....not to be used in 2007 .....and so forth. I killed the pump and asked the guy driving the Flying J tanker what was up. He said they didn't have enough tanks and only had the ULSD on 2 of the trucker's lanes. This is the only time I have ever noticed this - I do check for the label but just had a "senior moment" this time I guess. Luckily only ran about 10 gallons in and then I finished topping off at another station - so far no problems and just filled up (with ULSD) - Kept wondering how the guy before me made out - hope he didn't run the whole 100 gallons or so. Anyway I will check closer but still think Flying J could have at least put a little bigger sticker on the pumps.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:30 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Luckily only ran about 10 gallons in and then I finished topping off at another station - so far no problems and just filled up (with ULSD) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Should be absolutely no problem Bill...
Especially with the very little amount you put in there. All it will do is possibly make the afterburner on the engine work harder.. You are allowed 6 afterburner uses before Cummins will have to do a forced re-burn on it.

Here is a pretty good explanation of what occurs..
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:20 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Sacs - thanks -

that Regen light actually came on this trip when we first started out - I thought it was related to the fact we had been sitting on site about 6 weeks over the Christmas holiday before leaving for Florida. We did look it up in the owners manual - at least it did have a comment that it was a "normal" function and not to worry -

Thanks again
Old 01-16-2008, 04:27 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Whoa!! Now confused.. Soooooo..in my new (08) w. 500 ISM Cummins I should be using...WHAT?? ULSD or LSD??
Old 01-16-2008, 09:50 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Any diesel manufactured 2007 or after is to use ULSD
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:52 AM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Whoa!! Now confused.. Soooooo..in my new (08) w. 500 ISM Cummins I should be using...WHAT?? ULSD or LSD?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some 2008 models had older engines that were stockpiled and can use LSD.

If your coach requires ULSD, it will be marked on the fuel gauge.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:04 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Basically, if your new diesel engine has a particulate trap in the exhaust system, it needs the cleaner burning ULSD.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:32 PM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
Hey Buddy, wake up What will happen if you are forced to burn a tank of LSD ?
I bet Bear knew better

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:06 AM   #10

The last time I made that mistake and took LSD I saw wild colors for the rest of the day and suddenly the Greatful Dead's music made since

Every Miles A Memory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:15 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chickadee:
Whoa!! Now confused.. Soooooo..in my new (08) w. 500 ISM Cummins I should be using...WHAT?? ULSD or LSD?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have a choice but legally you should use USLD. The reason you have a choice is that Cummins was able to certify the ISM in an RV application with out a particulate filter. There are still benefits to using ULSD. You will avoid forming sulfuric acid which will reduce wear on critcal wear parts and the exhaust will be white hankerchief clean thus not soot on/in tailpipe and /or on toad or backside of rig.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:38 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ye reap what ye get for buying a post 2006 Diesel engine. Hope yer not planning to travel to Mexico, they don't have any ULSD there yet, and won't for some time. Older Diesel engines are better for you in any case, less emissions junk to deal with. My dream project is to transplant a 1990-1992 Cummins 5.9 into my 92 Dodge when the 360 eventually wears out.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:51 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Not planning on going to Mexico anyway - comments about USLD vs LSD remind me of my dad back in the days when Unleaded gas came out. He even went as far as to remove the reduced feeder fitting in the gas tank so he could keep using leaded gas. The only way to avoid the "emmission junk" is to buy 1960's technology. JMO
Old 01-18-2008, 05:38 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Guys! You certainly aren't a "Green" loving fan club! Emission controls are not junk - sorry! Emission controls are necessity as they work to improve our air quality. We all have to breathe this stuff (air) so keep that in the back of your minds when you thinking emission controls are junk. We only have so much clean air it's not an infinitely renewable resource.

Now that said get ready for 2010, it'll be here in no time at all. Exhaust on diesel engines by the year 2010 will be cleaner than the surrounding air into which its discharged.

A number of current technology gasoline engines that are the mainstay of the RV industry are simply going to vanish. There will be other gasoline and diesel engines coming however I can tell you this, the days of 8+ liter gasoline engines are going to be relegated history much the same as Stanley's steamer.

By 2010 just about every V-8 gasoline engine or V-10 is going to be replaced because they can not be made to comply with the emission standards that are going to be in effect at that time.

Stand by for massive engineering outlays and who we get to see as a player in this business going forward.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote