Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2014, 08:53 PM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKAL0PE View Post

Hooked up to 50 watts in a campground with the A/C going
I don't think your AC is going to work very well with only 50 watts!

Seriously, if your pet(s) is well mannered and doesn't bark at every little noise it hears, there shouldn't be a problem.

I have stayed at a park where the next rv site over had a pet that has been cooped up in the rv for hours on end and continuously barked and barked.....drove me crazy.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2014, 03:50 AM   #30

There was a bad example of leaving a dog unattended at Bahia Honda while we was there. This poor little black dog was tied outside of a tent in the sun for hours while it's owners where away. It whined more than barked a lot. My wife was tempted to go check on it, but did not want to violate their campsite. The next time we walked around to check on it the owners where there.

Our little puppy makes very little noise so we leave her unattended.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:05 AM   #31

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you leave your pets in a motor home with the AC on and buttoned up nice and tight, what happens if 5 minutes after you pull out for the day, the power goes out for any number of reasons? If you have an auto start on your generator you might be ok, if not, you cook your pets!

We open the windows and pull down all the night shades then turn on both exhaust fans and the TV to keep them from hearing outside noise. If the power goes out the fans run off the batteries. Even on the hottest of days up here in the NE the inside doesn't get that hot, surely not hot enough to bother our dogs
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:10 AM   #32
Community Moderator

Unattended Pets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
If you leave your pets in a motor home with the AC on and buttoned up nice and tight, what happens if 5 minutes after you pull out for the day, the power goes out for any number of reasons? If you have an auto start on your generator you might be ok, if not, you cook your pets!

We open the windows and pull down all the night shades then turn on both exhaust fans and the TV to keep them from hearing outside noise. If the power goes out the fans run off the batteries. Even on the hottest of days up here in the NE the inside doesn't get that hot, surely not hot enough to bother our dogs

I use these to warn my cell phone when temps go above or below what I've set.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1401966565.800092.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	312.7 KB
ID:	64639
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1401966633.331107.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	64640

http://www.verizonwireless.com/vzw/t...one%20connect*
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:42 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post

That's a really good suggestion until I get that autostart for my generator. Thanks.
JACKAL0PE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:47 AM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
We travel with our dog, but she is well trained and does not bark. If you have barking dogs that are a nusance to others, then many parks will ask you to leave. I know I HATE to be parked next to someone with untrained dogs. Sad part about it, is those owners have ruined it for others.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:52 AM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Good idea about knowing the temps. I'm going to get a big dial thermometer to hang in view of one of the cameras just so that I can monitor it.

Also, I don't know about others, but when we leave the dogs, we generally are not more than 20 minutes away.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:52 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Perfect. I've already sent the Sensaphone 400 ad to "the boss" for approval. But what do you need the Verizon home connect for?
Old 06-05-2014, 06:54 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
We travel with our dog, but she is well trained and does not bark. If you have barking dogs that are a nusance to others, then many parks will ask you to leave. I know I HATE to be parked next to someone with untrained dogs. Sad part about it, is those owners have ruined it for others.
I certainly can't speak for others, but I don't KNOW if mine bark or not. They don't bark when we're around, but that may be the whole point. They may bark for the owner to return. It's like trying to see in a refrigerator before the light comes on!

That's why I like all this monitoring stuff. I'd like to KNOW. If they are barkers, then we'll have to address that problem with training.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:11 AM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
I certainly can't speak for others, but I don't KNOW if mine bark or not. They don't bark when we're around, but that may be the whole point. They may bark for the owner to return. It's like trying to see in a refrigerator before the light comes on!

That's why I like all this monitoring stuff. I'd like to KNOW. If they are barkers, then we'll have to address that problem with training.
My cameras have audio too.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:23 AM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

You could set up like you were leaving, and then just stay outside being quiet. Probably wouldn't take long to find out what they will do.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:19 AM   #40
Community Moderator

Quote:
Perfect. I've already sent the Sensaphone 400 ad to "the boss" for approval. But what do you need the Verizon home connect for?

The sensaphone needs some sort of telephone connection to work. It's not an Internet or wifi device. The home phone connect is a very cool box. It's a high powered cell transmitter/receiver that you plug any standard phone cord into. It has it's own number, and an internal backup battery that will power it for at least 8 hours or more if the 110v power goes out. The calling plan gives you unlimited minutes for $20 month. So if your in the RV you can place and receive calls with better clarity than your regular cell phone because the box has a large antenna and more transmit power. When you are away from the RV, the sensaphone will alert you to any problems by calling you and speaking in a computerized voice. If you are curious if it's working or not, you can call the home phone connect number - the sensaphone will answer and give you a report of temperature and power status by speaking in its computerized voice. Because it "speaks" to you - it's very user friendly.....everyone can instantly use it and be comfortable.....doesn't require any Internet "apps" or technical knowledge at all to use it.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:38 AM   #41

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:

When we first started RV'ing we asked a couple of RV park neighbors to let us know if our dog barked when we were gone. We also parked down the street and walked close to our MH to see if the dog was barking. In both cases the answer was no. It is a shame that others leave their animals with no consideration to others. Any kind of monitoring idea is great. We starting RV'ing long before wi-fi devices and we had to use the old fashion method I commend you for trying to find out a solution to hopefully something that will not even be a problem.

I just installed a wi-fi thermostat in my S&B so I can monitor the A/C while I am gone. I am a firm believer in monitoring systems and the thermostat has almost paid for itself in the first month with the savings.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:39 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
You could set up like you were leaving, and then just stay outside being quiet. Probably wouldn't take long to find out what they will do.
Gonna get my wife's phone to call mine and then put hers in the RV and we'll go out for an hour or so. That should help let me know.