Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2021, 04:01 PM   #1

Uncomfortable Fueling Situation

Stopped for gas at a truck stop (TA, exit 168 on I65) south of Montgomery Alabama earlier this afternoon. As I was getting out of the RV I see this guy standing there in front of the RV. As soon as I got out he said something like "you want some" and had his hand down by his pocket. I took a quick glance out of instinct and saw it was some sort of drugs. I looked at him with a scowl. Shook my head no and waved my hand as well. He simply walked away. Glad it was a Sunday afternoon.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2021, 04:11 PM   #2

Crazy
Hognuts1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 04:37 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
WOW! That's wild!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 04:42 PM   #4

I've had a few screwball situations like that also. We were out West a few years back when I pulled into a truck fueling/truck repair type station. As I was pumping diesel the guy came out of a repair garage and started to walk around my coach. I stopped the pump and went to find him. He was bent down with something in his hand "looking" at the front tire. I shouted for him to get away and he said something like "you are lucky I saw this tire. It is about to explode. I can replace it for you". I told him the tire was OK and he said "if you leave this station with that tire you will kill someone". I told him i was leaving and he said "I'm going to call the state police so they can keep an eye out for you driving on that tire"

That tire lasted another 5 years and many thousands of miles.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 04:51 PM   #5

Yea, there are some very strange people just waiting to greet you at some places.

Few years ago, we had the travel trailer in tow. So wirdo came up to me and started asking for money. It was quite obvious he was high as a kite, stoned, or miserably drunk. I started YELLING back at him ... why don't you get a job and then you'll have your own money! and I just kept yelling that. He ran so fast out of there you'd think the cops were after him.

Sometimes, you just got to be a bit more threatening than they are! Or a little more crazy!

And sometimes you just go with the flow and quietly help them.
Old 02-21-2021, 04:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I've had a few screwball situations like that also. We were out West a few years back when I pulled into a truck fueling/truck repair type station. As I was pumping diesel the guy came out of a repair garage and started to walk around my coach. I stopped the pump and went to find him. He was bent down with something in his hand "looking" at the front tire. I shouted for him to get away and he said something like "you are lucky I saw this tire. It is about to explode. I can replace it for you". I told him the tire was OK and he said "if you leave this station with that tire you will kill someone". I told him i was leaving and he said "I'm going to call the state police so they can keep an eye out for you driving on that tire"

I think I remember you saying that and warning about some tire shop in Utah. If it was not you then someone did the same thing, had the guy put on some really cheap tires, and they "blew up" on him within a few hundred miles.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:26 PM   #7

Years ago on my way to work graveyard shift I stopped for gas about 11pm and out of the dark a guy walks up with a revolver in his hand. Thought I was gonna get robbed but he says, "Want to buy this gun?". Told him I had no money, finished gassing up and left. Really scared the P out of me.
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 06:29 PM   #8

I carry and would have reached in my pocket and said no but do you want some. I'm 68 and tired of peoples ****.
Dennis123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomersooner View Post
I think I remember you saying that and warning about some tire shop in Utah. If it was not you then someone did the same thing, had the guy put on some really cheap tires, and they "blew up" on him within a few hundred miles.
Holy mackerel you have a great memory!!!!!! But I did not have him put on tires. No way... I would be afraid they would be in worse shape than what I had on the coach to begin with.

I didn't mention the state this time because it really didn't matter, and I sure didn't want to dis a beautiful state!
Old 02-21-2021, 08:01 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
One always needs to be on their toes. There are weirdos, crooks, and con experts all over.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Holy mackerel you have a great memory!!!!!! But I did not have him put on tires. No way... I would be afraid they would be in worse shape than what I had on the coach to begin with.

I didn't mention the state this time because it really didn't matter, and I sure didn't want to dis a beautiful state!
Well at least I remembered part of your story.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:07 PM   #12

It's not always bad. I stopped in Susanville Ca coming north a few years back and this guy at the station comes up to me and says " you need to look at this tire". My front passenger tire had a lump the size of a grapefruit on the side. He called a Les shwab store down the street that was about to close. They didn't a tire my size so they put my spare on for $20. I gave the two that stayed $20 each and went merrily on my way.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpony56hd View Post
It's not always bad. I stopped in Susanville Ca coming north a few years back and this guy at the station comes up to me and says " you need to look at this tire". My front passenger tire had a lump the size of a grapefruit on the side. He called a Les shwab store down the street that was about to close. They didn't a tire my size so they put my spare on for $20. I gave the two that stayed $20 each and went merrily on my way.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:17 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:

The Beaver, UT tire shop place is legendary. They have had state and federal charges more than once, but since the place is owned by the family of the local sheriff, nothing much comes from it. Whatever you do, don’t stop for fuel in Beaver. I heard they opened up a sister station on I-80 west of SLC, but I can’t remember the details. Their infamy is well documented in the archives of the Salt Lake Tribune.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel