Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2022, 10:18 AM   #1

Under coach lights

Just wondering why people with under coach lights leave them on all night? One near us is lit up like a Christmas tree and IMO ruins the ambience of being able to view the night sky. Plus we like to have a bedroom window open at night and these lights shine brightly in the window. I can see having the lights on when people are outside on their patio, but all night?
Donskiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2022, 10:27 AM   #2

maybe because they are inside all the time and don't see them. just had an expensive newmar with multi colored lites draped around it's under carriage. the lites were on all nite too. it reminded me of a cotton candy wagon at the carnival. i thought it cheapened the look of a very nice dp.
Old 09-27-2022, 10:50 AM   #3

I have seen this phenomenon, along with owners of a certain brand beginning with "I" and other brands that apparently feel compelled to announce their presence at night. I have been told that if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. So....
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 11:07 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Back when we owned the Buena Vista Family Campground, we banned these under coach lights, and even porch lights after 9 PM.
Our park was well out of town, and we had lots of "Star Gazers" that visited us regularly.

Mike in Colorado
Old 09-27-2022, 11:33 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I have an issue with some of the lights being used, especially those on the nose of the fifth wheels that shine out onto the roadway. However, many may feel more secure having something that illuminates their patio area.

On my current coach I have factory installed (3500K brightness) LED lighting under the two patio side slides. They're not obnoxious, shine straight down and softly illuminate my patio area. At night, I fold up my two chairs and lean them against the rear duals, under the slide and below the lights. I leave those lights on all night. My bedroom window is on that side so I can look out, if necessary, and see if there is an issue.

If someone wants to leave a patio door light on at night, I don't have an issue with that. It's scare lights on the side of the coach and other owner added stuff that blasts out past THEIR campsite that needs to be toned down.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 12:33 PM   #6

I guess we're getting into the topic of light pollution. My worst experience was a site across the camp ground where a group of campers were together and illuminated the whole area with a 100w bulb (perhaps more) inside of a white 5-gallon bucket. It was pretty obnoxious.

I don't disagree with a rule of lights out after a certain time. Some folks dont realize the nuisance of light pollution.
Tachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 01:26 PM   #7

My wife is insisting I buy some "blackout" shades for the coaches bedroom like we have at the house. That should give an idea about how we feel about lights left on.

I've noticed the same with a lot of folks houses around here the lights. More and more have some sort of awful bright lights that almost seem aimed at the road or something. Locally a man buit a sort of open garage to work on cars behind his house. One evening I noted he had installed about a dozen extraordinarily bright white lights in it at the roofline. (Very visible from the road). I actually kind of admired them and figured he could REALLY see what he was doing in there. About one year later the lights have NEVER been turned off. Ever. Being kind of a car guy I like to keep an eye on what interesting things the neighbors might be up to. This place is right on our main path to and from our house so I see it all the time. A few months ago his back yard grew a used but decent looking camper. I can only imagine what kind of lights he has or will equip it with. His yard is lit up like a carnival in general, I can't imagine him leaving the light show at home to go camping.

Another neighbor has a couple of bright red lights they never turn off in front of their house. Decorative I guess. I also guess that red lights on a house doesn't mean quite what it used to.

Another is a very nice brick ranch. Lights in curtained windows all night. Then a half dozen aimed at the house. OK. Over the years they've added on. Every driveway and sidewalk lined with lights. Every bush and tree has at least one spotlight on it. They kind of went overboard. Even my wife commented on that one, like they are 90% ready for Christmas all year round. I get out and about at some pretty odd hours. If it's anything close to dark outside ALL those lights are on.

Not complaining, I don't pay their power bill. I do consider them examples of what not to do myself and have to admit being curious as to why folks do such things. I've seen parallels of these people in campgrounds here and there.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 01:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I have an issue with some of the lights being used, especially those on the nose of the fifth wheels that shine out onto the roadway. However, many may feel more secure having something that illuminates their patio area.

On my current coach I have factory installed (3500K brightness) LED lighting under the two patio side slides. They're not obnoxious, shine straight down and softly illuminate my patio area. At night, I fold up my two chairs and lean them against the rear duals, under the slide and below the lights. I leave those lights on all night. My bedroom window is on that side so I can look out, if necessary, and see if there is an issue.

If someone wants to leave a patio door light on at night, I don't have an issue with that. It's scare lights on the side of the coach and other owner added stuff that blasts out past THEIR campsite that needs to be toned down.
The bright blue LED ones are the worst! Not sure why manufacturers put that carp on RVs. And to respond to the OP's issue, some of the under RV lights are pretty bad as well. I don't see the point but it is what it is.

I do sometimes hang our antique owl lights on the edge of our awning. They total out at 49 watts, just enough light for us to watch our step under the awning.

We enjoy the night sky and the darkness a woodsy campground has to offer but it is getting harder to experience these things these days.
Old 09-27-2022, 02:23 PM   #9

Although I turn my porch light off at 10-11pm, I have heard some people like to have it on to keep critters away. Does it work? I have no idea, as I do not have underbelly lights.
Duster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 03:02 PM   #10

We generally leave our porch or step light on all night for security. However, we also take cues from our neighbors.

Recently, we camped at a Corps of Engineers campground. My wife took one of our dogs out before turning in. When she came in, she commented that none of the near by campers had lights on. We shut all ours off too.

Respect for neighbors seems to be waining these days.
Old 09-27-2022, 03:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post

The coach here has lights on both sides and the whole thing is lit up. It seems excessive, especially when no one else has any outside lights on all night.
Donskiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 05:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donskiman View Post
Just wondering why people with under coach lights leave them on all night? One near us is lit up like a Christmas tree and IMO ruins the ambience of being able to view the night sky. Plus we like to have a bedroom window open at night and these lights shine brightly in the window. I can see having the lights on when people are outside on their patio, but all night?
IMO they give the appearance of a pimp-mobile.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 06:17 PM   #13

This topic reminds me of my parents. They lived in the same house for 55 years. They had been there so long it was an up and coming young neighborhood again!
I worked in the jail and a good number of officers were buying in that area. I would ask them to keep an eye on them. Because they came and went on all three shifts. Every one of them commented that my parents lights were never off!
My dad went to bed at 7:00 pm and was up at 4:00 am, and Mom went to bed at 6:00 am and was up around 1:00 pm. so yeah, they were always up. DR
DR60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 06:18 PM   #14

They are just showing off their rig and don't care if it bothers someone. The nose lights on 5'vers are the worst. My TT has awning lights that can be dimmed. If we leave after dark for a walk, the lights are on the dimmest setting. I also have a motion light near the steps. It comes on when we approach the steps and turns off after 30 seconds.

I really think the quiet time sign should include lights out.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights