Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2022, 04:20 PM   #1

Underground Storage

Has anyone stored their RV at Kentucky Underground Storage? If so, what are your impressions? Thanks!
asodergren is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2022, 05:43 PM   #2

Never heard of it. Seems kinda creepy. It appears to be mainly document storage. What would happen in a fire? Guess they have precautions.

https://kentuckyunderground.com/abou...round-storage/
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 07:49 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
130 feet underground and no need to winterize? Didnít see on their site what they charge, but looks interesting. Old limestone mine?
Old 06-21-2022, 08:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Never heard of it. Seems kinda creepy. It appears to be mainly document storage. What would happen in a fire? Guess they have precautions.

https://kentuckyunderground.com/abou...round-storage/

Site says that the facility has Intrusion Detection, Fire Detection, and Backup Power, but nothing regarding Fire Suppression though.

Tim
Old 06-22-2022, 01:02 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I worked in underground limestone mines.

One question would be if you'd have power to the coach. I think you'd need to run a dehumidifier.

Mines usually are damp, if you look at pictures on the website there are water puddles pretty much everywhere, and if you don't condition the inside you'll have problems with mold being the big thing. Not sure if there would be any issues on the chassis etc. Plan on changing the air filter often.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 04:29 PM   #6

We have a few limestone mines in our area that are used for RV and car storage. The area where the cars are stored is climate controlled and uses filtered air. Limestone dust has a high alkali content which will corrode metal and affect the paint since the mines are damp. We have friends who swear by storing their RV's and trailers in the mines so they don't have to winterize.

Winterizing doesn't take long to do and cost is minimal. I store mine in an open lot and besides a good cleaning in the spring, which has to be done no matter where it is stored, I have had no problems.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 04:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by asodergren View Post
Has anyone stored their RV at Kentucky Underground Storage? If so, what are your impressions? Thanks!
It does sound like it would be interesting to at least check out, but personally, I probably wouldnít do it.

Once you put your coach into the cavern, it would have to acclimate both inside and out and the room temp would have to be monitored very close. Any dip or rise in temp could create a problem.

There is a reason why when you install a large safe in your home, you are advised to install a dehumidifier inside to remove moisture.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 05:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwinger View Post
We have friends who swear by storing their RV's and trailers in the mines so they don't have to winterize.

Winterizing doesn't take long to do and cost is minimal. I store mine in an open lot and besides a good cleaning in the spring, which has to be done no matter where it is stored, I have had no problems.
I have winterized mine in a parking lot on the way north in the winter. Takes just a few minutes. I never understood why people get wired up about winterizing.
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 08:36 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Quote:
When I was a teenager in Ky., back in the 70's, there was a huge mushroom farm, that people had. They had a section where they had friends storing boats, RVs, older cars, in there.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 04:09 PM   #10

I have used underground storage located north of Pittsburgh for 7 years now. 55 degrees and 55% humidity everyday. I load up the motor home with moisture absorption products and have not had any issues. The rv looks the same the day I pick it up as the day I dropped it off 5 months earlier. The place is huge, hundreds maybe even a few thousand rv’s, boats, cars and carnival food wagons. Cost 7 years ago was $70 per month, now it’s $120 per month (new ownership) for my 38 footer.
Old 06-23-2022, 04:13 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I guess my only question is "why would you store it?" I haven't winterized in 40 years.

Use the thing.
amosnandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 04:08 PM   #12

I priced it at Louisville Underground Storage, I thought it was expensive. A few things that was in the email quote. Propane tank has to be removed and only a 1/4 tank of fuel.

Tags
storage