Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2017, 11:01 AM   #1

Understanding my Tank Monitor Lights

I haven't a clue about how to interpret these colored lights on my KIB monitor panel. I get the part about "E", "1/3", "2/3", and "F"; what I don't get is what the green, amber and red lights at each level signify. For example, the fresh water sensors are red for both "E" and "1/3", but the holding tank is green at "E" and amber at "1/3".[moderator edit] This makes no sense to me. Why not just a single light for each level? Can anyone point me to a site where I can learn about using this panel? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0618.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	261.7 KB
ID:	172918  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2017, 11:07 AM   #2

I'm sure somebody will pipe in for your unit... Makes no sense to me either... Ours are all one color... When somebody smarter than me replies, it will make sense... (I guess) stay tuned....
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:41 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:45 AM   #4

Just a WAG but are the 2/3 and Full indicators red on the holding tanks? LPG and Fresh go red as they empty and holding go red as they fill?
MikeO58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:12 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ignore the colors if you want, but they're really not rocket science, people, and they do make sense. Just think of green as "good" and red as "bad"

For LPG and fresh water, you want full, not empty; so full is green (good), empty is red (bad). For holding tanks (black and grey), you want empty, not full; so full is red (bad), empty is green (good). Yellow is simply a midpoint warning that your level is no longer "good" but not yet "bad".
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:15 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Looks to me like LPG is Full, Fresh Water is 1/3 full, Holding (Black?) is 1/3 full and Grey tank is 1/3 Full.

But, what do I know!!
Old 08-14-2017, 12:37 PM   #7

As the LPG and Fresh water are consumed the lights go from Green to yellow to red as visual warnings that they are getting low.
As the holding tanks get used they go from green empty to yellow then red as they fill, again visual warnings.

Yellow means pay attention because the next movement will be into the red.

I agree a single light on for each tank would be much easier to read.

But it is what it is.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:54 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you had a single light for each tank all it would tell you is that you have a tank, but not the condition of the tank. That panel gives you a clear indication on the status of each tank.

Glenn
Old 08-15-2017, 07:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn and Kathy View Post
If you had a single light for each tank all it would tell you is that you have a tank, but not the condition of the tank. That panel gives you a clear indication on the status of each tank.

Glenn
Obviously I meant a single light illuminated for each tank to indicate the current level.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:11 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn and Kathy View Post

Glenn
I think he probably meant a single "color" for each light rather than the red, yellow, or green. But again, it's not rocket science: Green = Good, Yellow = Warning, Red = Bad.

BTW, the lights ARE somewhat deceiving (regardless of color) as they are not really telling you what level the tank is, they are telling you that the level is "at least but not less than". For example, if the 1/3 light is on, your actual level could be just barely over 1/3, or it could actually be almost 2/3. If only the E light is on, you could be empty or you could still have just a bit less than 1/3 tank. And of course it also depends on the accuracy of the placement of the sensors on the tank itself. Or did I just confuse people even more?
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
I think he probably meant a single "color" for each light rather than the red, yellow, or green. But again, it's not rocket science: Green = Good, Yellow = Warning, Red = Bad.

BTW, the lights ARE somewhat deceiving (regardless of color) as they are not really telling you what level the tank is, they are telling you that the level is "at least but not less than". For example, if the 1/3 light is on, your actual level could be just barely over 1/3, or it could actually be almost 2/3. If only the E light is on, you could be empty or you could still have just a bit less than 1/3 tank. And of course it also depends on the accuracy of the placement of the sensors on the tank itself. Or did I just confuse people even more?
Nope, you did not confuse....very clear. And a great explanation of the deception of the lights. Having a sensor strip on the tank that accurately reads the entire level of the tank would be great but I have yet to see one.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:00 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyian View Post
Having a sensor strip on the tank that accurately reads the entire level of the tank would be great but I have yet to see one.
The SeeLevel Tank Monitoring System does just that.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:12 AM   #13

I was trying to read it horizontal like ours,,, not side to side up and down like that is... I;m dizzy,, need to sit down....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Now that is interesting, I wonder what the upgrade cost would be.

Tags
light, lights, tank