Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2021, 04:16 PM   #1

Understanding Weights

Ok, I am sure that this has been asked and discussed before, I just am not searching in the right way.
I went to weight my truck and 5th wheel the other day just so I would know how heavy it is. I filled the water tank just to know.
I had it weighed with the trailer hooked to the truck then dropped the trailer and had just the truck weighed.
The truck was 5240 lb on the front and 3540 on the rear for 8780 total. Its a 2015 F250 6.7 crew cab with a few extras bolted on.
The truck and trailer were front 5260, rear 5000, trailer axle 7700 for a total of 17960.
So I am thinking that the trailer is 17960-8780= 9180 lb
And the difference of the rear axles 5000-3560= 1440 of pin weight.
Am I correct in that??

I also downloaded the Ford / Lincoln 2015 RV & Towing guide. In that I get confused as it seems to say a couple of different things. But on page 18 of 36 it says that the F250 4x4 crew cab with 6.7 engine can pull 15,100 of trailer.

So I think I am well under my limit.
Am I ???

Thanks for you advice, I am just trying to set my mind at ease.
adben22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2021, 05:03 PM   #2

I came up with 1480 lb for pin weight. One thing I will point out however, your truck weight with the 5ver attached to it came to 10,260 lbs. If the GVWR on your truck is 10,000 lbs, you are over the GVWR by 260 lbs If you have one of the F250's that have a GVWR of 9900 lbs, then you are over the GVWR of the truck by 1260 lbs. The stuff that you have "bolted on" must be fairly heavy items. Normally that truck is in the 7600-7700 lbs when new....depending of course on the options and trim levels.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 05:52 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Do you know what the Gross Axle Wt. ratings are?
Old 03-02-2021, 06:30 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

There should be a sticker on the driver door post that shows the truck GVWR and axle GAWRs. Verify that you aren't exceeding any of those when the trailer is hitched and passengers onboard.

When you hitched the trailer up, both front & rear truck axle increased in weight. The combined front & rear increase is the trailer pin weight. I get 1480 lbs.

I agree that the 2015 Ford Tow Guide shows a 15,100 lb max tow for a F250 4x4 diesel crew cab. You do seem to be well under that, but you cannot ignore the pin weight on the truck rear axle and the truck total GVWR either. Verify them all. Pg 10 of the tow guide shows a GVWR max of 10,000 for an F250 4x4 crew cab, so I think you will find you are a bit overweight there. It's probably not enough over to be a showstopper, but it would be smart to reduce or move weight in the trailer to get the pin weight down as much as practical.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:32 PM   #5

This online towing calculator removes all speculation and bias from the result. You will note it requires actual scale weights in some blocks, it also offers the user the option of choosing a safety factor many full-timers have used for years to extend the longevity of the tow vehicle. Towing at the maximum limits of any vehicle shortens its lifespan.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:28 PM   #6

That's a heavy front axle.....even with the diesel engine
**What do you have added to front end of truck?
What is the FAWR on the Data Sticker
What is the RAWR on the Data Sticker
Like this
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:42 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
This online towing calculator removes all speculation and bias from the result. You will note it requires actual scale weights in some blocks, it also offers the user the option of choosing a safety factor many full-timers have used for years to extend the longevity of the tow vehicle. Towing at the maximum limits of any vehicle shortens its lifespan.
I couldn't understand that calculator, but if I knew all the input weights I don't think I would need the calculator. It seem to over complicate the matter.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:36 AM   #8

Thank you all for pitching in.

I agree the calculator is confusing to me as well. I am probably not putting in the right info. Make me pretty worried when I read it, seems like I am WAY over somehow.
This is what I put in there,
GVWR 10000 from sticker
GCWR 15100 from page 18 of the towing guide
Max Loaded Trailer 14000 page 28, (not sure if this is the right number)
Max King Pin Weight Rating 1792 page 10
RGAWR 6100 from sticker
GVW 9160 from scale tickets
King Pin Actual Weight 1480 from tickets
Safety factor 20%
King Pin override 20%
Old 03-03-2021, 08:37 AM   #9

I am going to have to go and look at the load. I didn't feel that I had that much in the hold of the trailer and was thinking of putting in some more tools, But now I guess not. It seems like all my storage in the cab of the trailer is in front of the axles and I still have a lot of empty space in there. I just have 4 batteries, a small/med tool kit, a small 2200 inv generator and some small fishing gear, a couple of chairs, table, small grill and small 7lb propane tank for it.
Plus I have in the past with another truck, pulled my quad on a small trailer behind the 5th wheel. Now I am worried about that as well.
Its like they say, Ignorance is bliss. I maybe shouldn't have asked the question.

Thanks again everyone
Old 03-03-2021, 09:00 AM   #10

Sorry RV Roamer, I forgot to answer your question.
I bought this truck used, it came with a LOT of stuff that I would have never put on it myself, But for the most part I am enjoying. It the Lariat model so it has a bunch inside. but the PO put on a Ranch Hand front Bumper that also has a winch installed in that. I know that has to add some weight to it. I need to ask them what that weighs. Its not something I would have ever put on myself, but there it is.
I had a Ranch Hand brush guard on my 05 GMC2500HD Diesel that after saving me some good coin in a couple of times when I hit some wild antelope, but it took a swiping cross it and the guard ended up bending my frame and Geico totaled out the truck.

Now that I think about it, it seems I am overweight on the front all the time.

Anyone want to buy an Ranch Hand Bumper??
Old 03-03-2021, 11:26 AM   #11

You didn't answer so I'll ask one more time
FAWR (on that sticker)

RAWR 6100 ----so your scaled weight of 5000 is OK
But that Front scaled weight of 5260 is probably over the FAWR
*AWR is the weakest link ...suspension, tires, axle etc (Not just the axle)
Old 03-03-2021, 12:50 PM   #12

Sorry Old Biscuit, I was trying to attach a pic of the sticker, but couldn't figure out how to make it small enough to upload and still be able to read it.
But the Front GAWR is 5200, So it seems I am 20 over just as it sits curbside and 60 over when I am hooked up.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by adben22 View Post
Sorry Old Biscuit, I was trying to attach a pic of the sticker, but couldn't figure out how to make it small enough to upload and still be able to read it.
But the Front GAWR is 5200, So it seems I am 20 over just as it sits curbside and 60 over when I am hooked up.
That Ranch Hand Bumper .....what's it weigh ---- 200#??

What are the tires 'load rating' as stamped on sidewall?
Old 03-03-2021, 06:47 PM   #14

Yeah probably a little more than that, but dont know.
The tires are load rating E

Tags
weight