Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2011, 09:19 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Unreputable RV Dealer

Hi,

Some of you have been following my thread regarding the trials and tribulations my wife and I have dealt with in trying to purchase a 2005 Beaver Monterey from Holland Motorhomes in San Marcos CA., for many years they were in San Diego and have recently moved north about 25 miles. Previous thread was "Illusive Beaver"

Anyway our relationship with them ended badly earier this week when we discovered that they were intentionaly trying to hide from us the fact that this coach had defective fuel injectors and it would cost over $6000.00 dollars to repair this issue. Their attempt to decieve us was discovered when I was comparing notes with the local CAT Service Center and discovered that they went so far as to physically alter a copy of a repair invoice that put them on notice that the injectors were defective. The original invoice noted that they declined to have this repair done. The copy of the invoice that they provide us had been altered to hide this information from us.

Together my wife and I decided that anybody willing to decieve customers in that fashion did not deserve our hard earned and long time save money. Fortunately we had only given them earnest money and when we presented the falsified documents they tucked their tales and credited our credit card. Like any upstanding scum bag the Sales Manager snuck out the back door and made a secretary process the credit. We will resume shopping for another DP in the near future and will be much smarter and a whole lot less trusting of the next person/dealer we choose to do business with.

As many of you who coached me through this said "BUYER BEWARE" when doing business with any dealer and especially this one!

Hope to see you on the road shortly!
turn1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2011, 11:50 PM   #2

Good job for making the discovery before damage to you. I hope the dealership folds up over that fact. And alerts other dealers that we are going to be looking at your dealings too.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:17 AM   #3

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Good for you...Hopefully the next customer will be as investigative as you. Wish there was some way to warn others of the impending problem. did you notify the BBB?
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:53 PM   #4

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
You guys are the poster folks for 'due diligence'. Congratulations for saving yourselves thousands of dollars and untold aggravation.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:33 PM   #5

Post your story on Ripoff Report, it's a good site with a lot of exposure....Good Job
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:17 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by turn1fan View Post
Hi,

Some of you have been following my thread regarding the trials and tribulations my wife and I have dealt with in trying to purchase a 2005 Beaver Monterey from Holland Motorhomes in San Marcos CA., for many years they were in San Diego and have recently moved north about 25 miles. Previous thread was "Illusive Beaver"!
Disreputable dealers should be exposed and it would be justice to see your experience posted on every RV forum on the net. However remember that suits are often filed over such and even if you win the suit you lose a lot of money in fees.

However if I ever buy a used RV I would like to engage you to do my due diligence.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:10 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadeaux View Post
However if I ever buy a used RV I would like to engage you to do my due diligence.
DW is very sharp and detail oriented, this helps alot. Besides she has a way better memory than me. You have to be persistent that they fulfill every item promised before taking whatever it is you are buying off their premises. Keep them talking because like my dad said many years ago "a liar cannot tell the same story twice". Then when the stories don't match up follow up on the details. This has worked for us on more than this occasion including unreputable contractors if you can believe that.....
Old 06-14-2011, 09:33 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks for posting your experience. I just completed a deal from what I believe to be a reputable dealer. I guess I'll find out for sure once I see if the repairs are completed prior to delivery. ....crossing fingers isn't the best way to do business is it? hmmmmmm.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:36 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlapml View Post
....crossing fingers isn't the best way to do business is it? hmmmmmm.
I'm thinking for us the next offer will be made after having the coach inspected by a paid third party inspector which we will pay for. Once we have a good idea of the overall condition of engine, transmission, chassis, roof and RV systems we'll make an "as is" offer reflective of required repairs. That way there will be no finger crossing and waiting for them to perform. We'll see how that works out for us.......?
Old 06-14-2011, 10:54 PM   #10

You might want to notify the California Attorney General's office, they may wish to see the document that was altered, especially if others have filed complaints.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:53 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
From what we have been told by the San Diego County DA the DMV has a Consumer Investigations Unit that handles cases like this when car, rv, motocycle dealers do bad things. We already sent them a formal complaint. We'll see if we hear back.

On a sad note a friend noticed the very same coach on Holland's lot with a sold sign in the window yesterday. Feel bad for the new buyer if they didn't do their homework. I knew it would be easier for Holland this time to dump this unit because on they had already completed our very long PDI list. Just one very important item left out that an unsuspecting buyer would never know about.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:18 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by turn1fan View Post

On a sad note a friend noticed the very same coach on Holland's lot with a sold sign in the window yesterday. Feel bad for the new buyer if they didn't do their homework.
There must be some way to find out who bought it and warn them. This type of thing is just so wrong it gets me angry 3000 miles away.

Edit: DW just suggested providing the info to Carfax.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:38 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Just curious would CarFax have caught something like this? I use them whenever I buy used.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:47 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Just curious would CarFax have caught something like this? I use them whenever I buy used.
We had them run a report on our MH. It came back with nothing special except one "in a collision" or something vague like that. Haven't had any issues that appear to be collision related and the dealer did take care of a few other issues no questions asked.

I think what DW was trying to say is maybe the OP could contact Carfax and give them the information about the MH for other perspective buyers.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote