Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2020, 08:29 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Upgrading Audio Video equipment

I have a 2011 Entegra Anthem and the DVD doubles as the head for the 5.1 dolby system.
The Anthem does not have a very deep cabinet to house these components and I am wondering if any of you with newer homes or older homes that you may have upgraded the A/V equipment.

Did you find an Audio/Video Receiver that would give you more features for a component system that is also shallow enough to fit in your compartment?

Are there new products that give you good sound when listening to radio or watching your movies?

thanks for the input!
Marksnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2020, 09:24 PM   #2

We replaced TV's, blue rays, surround sound system, sat receivers, new OTA antenna system and new sat antenna. Works so much better than the old stuff. Today's equipment is also so much smaller and lighter. I had to rework the cabinets so that everything fits. My biggest challenge was running all new coax and HDMI cables the full length of the coach. I have attached a couple pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190127_142717633.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	269.0 KB
ID:	289298   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190207_205626052.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	289299  

bhammond1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 08:19 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammond1980 View Post
We replaced TV's, blue rays, surround sound system, sat receivers, new OTA antenna system and new sat antenna. Works so much better than the old stuff. Today's equipment is also so much smaller and lighter. I had to rework the cabinets so that everything fits. My biggest challenge was running all new coax and HDMI cables the full length of the coach. I have attached a couple pictures.
Good deal,.
I have to measure my cabinet. My setup is a little different and most A/V receivers are deeper than what my cabinet is but, I’m scouring the internet for specific remedies and they’re like hens teeth.

I did as you already. All new TV’s, All new HDMI Distribution center under the coach.
I do need an updaTed switch in the main e-center where it sends the signal to all tv’s if you want to play the same info on all tv’s.

I still have the old push button Switcher and just have not gotten that far into it. Was hoping for info and maybe a few more will post.

Thanks for posting!
Old 06-13-2020, 08:30 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I upgraded the A/V equipment in our 2002 Windsor several years ago. I used a low-cost Denon receiver, a Blu-Ray DVD player, and a new powered sub-woofer. I used the existing surround speakers.

One problem I encountered with the low-cost receiver was that the input had to match the output. For example, if the output of the DVD player was the old RCA type A/V connectors, then that's the output you got. That would probably not be a problem anymore since everything is HDMI.

I placed the new powered sub-woofer behind the loveseat/recliners. I had to run coaxial cable underneath to it.

My biggest problem was running an HDMI cable underneath and into the slideout where the TV is located!

I mounted a new 43" flat-screen TV on a remote-controlled motorized lift behind the couch.

The whole project was quite a bit of work but well worth the effort.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 08:58 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I upgraded the A/V equipment in our 2002 Windsor several years ago. I used a low-cost Denon receiver, a Blu-Ray DVD player, and a new powered sub-woofer. I used the existing surround speakers.

One problem I encountered with the low-cost receiver was that the input had to match the output. For example, if the output of the DVD player was the old RCA type A/V connectors, then that's the output you got. That would probably not be a problem anymore since everything is HDMI.

I placed the new powered sub-woofer behind the loveseat/recliners. I had to run coaxial cable underneath to it.

My biggest problem was running an HDMI cable underneath and into the slideout where the TV is located!

I mounted a new 43" flat-screen TV on a remote-controlled motorized lift behind the couch.

The whole project was quite a bit of work but well worth the effort.

Awesome. Post some pride photos when you have some time!
Old 06-13-2020, 09:16 AM   #6

The biggest issue with modernizing is replacing the box of buttons (coax) with HDMI devices. The TV, the AV Receiver and the hard part, the cables need to be replaced.

My original non HDMI AV receiver is now in my barn used just as an audio amp. DirecTV is what feeds the HDMI to the TV there. The bedroom AV receiver was broken and thrown out. The original TV in the bedroom was sold on Craigslist replaced by a new HDMI LG 4K TV. The front TV was already upgraded to a Samsung HDMI TV. The wires were all upgraded when the RV was restored. Going to do some more wiring upgrades since I have the ceiling apart.

If you get a good AV receiver and put a good control system in front of it, then you can put the AV receiver "anywhere" it will fit and the wiring can reach it. Because you won't need to see or touch it. Can't provide much more info as I don't know your RV or what you are dealing with. If you post some pics of the interior, maybe we can provide some ideas.

My rear cap has tons of unused space in it. I could have installed a full equipment rack in there where the components are on slide rails to access the wiring from the back side of the closet. For example.
Old 06-13-2020, 09:22 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
My coach has the component video cords and distribution

A very easy hack of for 25 bucks per location on amazon you can buy the composite to hdmi conversion boxes and leave all of the old cords in place.

They have to same signal processing and work perfectly. They are powered so it will eat one additional plugin per wall outlet but not a big deal.

This saves a ton of sweat equity in pulling new wire.
Old 06-13-2020, 10:23 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksnet View Post
Awesome. Post some pride photos when you have some time!
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/one-...er-173292.html

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/the...ne-136185.html
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio