Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2014, 09:28 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
URGENT! CALL DirectTV NOW!

DirectTV is negotiating with The Weather Channel and there is a chance DirectTV will no longer carry The Weather Channel.

DirectTV has launched an alternate weather channel on 361. As I told the rep on the phone, I can get weather from many sources, THAT is not the problem. We regularly watch many of the reality shows, Goldminers, etc, and they are not on anywhere else.

I told her that if DirectTV drops The Weather Channel we will immediately cancel our service and go to Dish or the local TV cable. If enough people will call in or go on-line and tell them that, they will do whatever is necessary to continue the service!

PLEASE call 1-800-DirectTV. You will first hear a recording that says they are still negotiating with The Weather Channel. At the end of that recording you will hear their main menu. When it asks the purpose of your call say "cancel service". You will then get an attendant.

You can also go on-line at DirectTV.com and register your comments there.

If you feel the same way I do about this, PLEASE do it NOW! Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2014, 09:34 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Be sure to verify what obligation you have if any to DTV. I know that every time I changed a piece of equipment , they automatically extended my contract by 12 months :( . Cancellation may be costly. Just sayin.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Old 01-12-2014, 09:57 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
In case anyone was interested, here's the article about it:
DirecTV issues veiled threat in talks with Weather Channel - latimes.com

And those that want to keep TWC may be in the minority, the complaints about TWC is they have become a reality channel, yes about weather but still a reality channel and most like the other one better as it is mostly weather reporting. Me? I don't watch either of them, I check the weather on the computer or on the apps that Thom and I have on the phone.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:45 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
They won't drop them. Standard negotiating tactics. Same situation when dish was going to drop A&E. They didn't dare, too profitable for them. I wouldn't worry a bit.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:48 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Would prefer DirecTv carry an actual weather channel. Agree the "Weather Channel" as become more a reality channel and so commercialized that it is hard to root out wx info. Nothing like being under a tornado warning and all they show is "It could happen tomorrow" catastrophe of the day. When there is a hurricane threat in this area they always whip up the panic level to max. Invented named winter storms for the same effect.. Other than that......

Other and better sources of weather info are available.

Sorry Joe..

And.. Jim Cantore actually attracts hurricanes and bad weather, the State of Florida should totally restrict his access.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:57 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I don't have any satellite TV on my coach, YET, so I really don't have any personal ax to grind with this possible change.

However, I have done enough research on both DirectTV and DISH that when the time comes to have satellite installed, I think DISH would be my choice. They have a great RV Program called Pay As You Go which allows you to pay for service on a monthly need. If there are months that you don't need DISH then you can simply let them know.

That would be my choice.

http://www.dishformyrv.com/pay-as-you-go-features/

http://www.winegard.com/dishnetwork/why-dish.php

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-12-2014, 11:01 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Someone posted recently about issues with that pay as you go. FWIW DTV lets you place your service on hold twice a year for upto six months. On edit. Here's the thread. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/dish-...ms-189308.html

Old 01-12-2014, 11:02 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I'd say let them drop it. Better weather at intellicast.com and the local TV stations. I agree with it being a reality TV show occasionally hyping insignificant weather for ratings.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:07 AM   #9

We have Dish at home. The past two years they or the broadcast network, or someone has played games with programming contracts whereby certain Braves games were canceled or shown on a delayed basis. This may not be as important as TWC, but it shows we are at the mercy of whoever has to ok what is shown. Dish, of course, says they are looking out for the consumer's interest in not being held up for more money. Who knows? We can only buy what they are selling or go elsewhere. Frustrating since they hook you into a contract then change the rules.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:09 AM   #10
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk7678 View Post
I'd say let them drop it. Better weather at intellicast.com and the local TV stations. I agree with it being a reality TV show occasionally hyping insignificant weather for ratings.
The op stated they like the reality shows .

Old 01-12-2014, 11:46 AM   #11

We cancelled DirecTV early last year.

Too expensive.

TWC, although they did a good job on the weather became a full-blown propaganda outlet...I don't miss it. We went to Internet Weather Underground.

wunderground.com
Old 01-12-2014, 12:19 PM   #12

or use your iphone
Old 01-12-2014, 12:33 PM   #13

I call The Weather Channel "The Doom & Gloom Channel". They never seem to give good weather reports. It's always the possibility of bad weather. Will not miss it.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:36 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Let them drop it. Has not been a serious weather channel now for several years. I get my weather from a smartphone app.
Closed Thread