Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2020, 10:36 PM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard View Post
These guys have reasonable prices and an excellent selection. By the foot or by the coil.

Wire and Cable Your Way 8/2 UF-B
THANKS! Been looking all over. I'm curious why the 8/2 UF-B is 0.98/ft and I can order 125 feet; and below that in the "exact coil" it is 1.04/ft for 125 feet. Am I missing something?

Either way, good savings over buying the 8/3 at Lowe's, etc., even after adding shipping.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2020, 10:40 PM   #16

In our jurisdiction we considered anything under 90 days to be classified as temporary. A 100' extension cord (SO cord rated) 8/2 with ground would work just fine for just a two week period..
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 11:50 PM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would just buy a good 10 gage extension cord and plug her into an outlet. We stay at my inlaws that way for 2-3 weeks at a time.. Running the air conditioning. Just run hot water on gas. Save yourself a ton of money
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 07:08 AM   #18

Another approach if for temp use would be to just buy 2 - 50 ft 30 A cord and plug it in immediately.
If you have no need for the cords after use you could easily get half the cost back by selling the cords.
Quick & EZ
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 02:35 PM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
UPDATE:
While we're all waiting on pins and needles for the results of our daughter's C-19 test, I think we've resolved the possible quarantine logistics.
Our MH is parked in our driveway, water and electric available and will buy a macerator to solve the dumping issues.
Along with having to run electric service at her house--and city ordinance against living in an RV for more than five days--she would be parked right next door to an almost impossible-to-please neighbor, who probably would be on the phone to city hall 24/7.
We don't have that issue. All of our neighbors love us--at least they like us--and the MH is pretty much out of the way in our driveway.
Sincere thanks to ALL of you who chimed in. I was pretty much pulling my hair out with the news that this thing was hitting so close to home. Take care everyone. Be safe and be healthy.
Happy Easter.
Guy
Old 04-11-2020, 06:40 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
If this is a somewhat temporary situation, I'd be inclined to find a 100 ft extension cord and plug it into a 20 amp outlet. This should work OK as long as the electrical loads are kept to a minimum, i.e. won't be able to run an A/C unit and a microwavre oven at the same time
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 06:56 PM   #21

Bring to me and I'll use my back hoe.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 07:21 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivoltage98 View Post
Hi I’m happy to help, I’m an electrician for 25 years.
If your intending to make this a permanent install I would run #8 wire. If you have the heat or AC running continuously your better off. You can use a 1” conduit. You’ll have 3 #8 wires and a #10 ground.
I'm not an electrician so help me understand what the extra #8 wire would be used for on a 30 amp RV circuit? I thought you needed a hot (black) and neutral (white) and a ground (green or bare) and don't understand the use of the extra wire.
Old 04-12-2020, 10:21 AM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I'm not an electrician so help me understand what the extra #8 wire would be used for on a 30 amp RV circuit? I thought you needed a hot (black) and neutral (white) and a ground (green or bare) and don't understand the use of the extra wire.
As highvoltage98 noted in post #2: "If you don’t want to use conduit you can get a direct burial wire (UF). You’ll have to get an 8/3 UF cable since 8/2 is not readily available."

In the meantime, he provided a link to an electric service company that does stock 8/2 wire. I was certainly ready to order the 8/3 because, circumstances being what they were, the cost of that third wire I considered to be insignificant. (Might even have identified it as a locator wire for future utility locators).

Again, I can't say enough how helpful everyone on this forum is in time of need. It's like having your own research group.

Happy Easter everyone. Stay safe and healthy.
Old 04-12-2020, 10:39 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyG View Post
As highvoltage98 noted in post #2: "If you don’t want to use conduit you can get a direct burial wire (UF). You’ll have to get an 8/3 UF cable since 8/2 is not readily available."

In the meantime, he provided a link to an electric service company that does stock 8/2 wire. I was certainly ready to order the 8/3 because, circumstances being what they were, the cost of that third wire I considered to be insignificant. (Might even have identified it as a locator wire for future utility locators).

Again, I can't say enough how helpful everyone on this forum is in time of need. It's like having your own research group.

Happy Easter everyone. Stay safe and healthy.
Guy, thanks for responding and updating us! So many times we don't hear back and never know if the suggested products or advice were helpful.

Stay safe and happy!
Old 04-12-2020, 11:04 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I know the OP got it straightened out but I still wanted to make sure that someone else with the same question didn't follow the 4 wire advice given. I imagine it was a mistype but it could still mislead someone. Three wires (hot, neutral, ground) are needed for a 30 amp, 120 volt circuit.
Old 04-12-2020, 02:12 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
I know the OP got it straightened out but I still wanted to make sure that someone else with the same question didn't follow the 4 wire advice given. I imagine it was a mistype but it could still mislead someone. Three wires (hot, neutral, ground) are needed for a 30 amp, 120 volt circuit.

On the other hand, if one is installing a permanent setup why not go ahead and run the extra wire to set up a 50A outlet?
Old 04-12-2020, 04:08 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
On the other hand, if one is installing a permanent setup why not go ahead and run the extra wire to set up a 50A outlet?
Of course!

But if you're thinking this, make sure it's the right size wire for the 50 amp. I thought about this for my install but the cost for the larger wire, conduit, and fittings killed that idea. Can't remember exactly but I'm thinking the install cost would have been just about double the cost of the 30.
Old 04-12-2020, 04:14 PM   #28

Hi Guy's here is a formula for your wire run before you notice any significant voltage drop....1 conductors per phase utilizing a #10 Copper conductor will limit the voltage drop to 2.63% or less when supplying 12.5 amps for 120 feet on a 120 volt system. Ten gauge wire has 1.2 ohms per 1000 feet or about 0.3 ohms for 240 feet round trip. But with that being said, If the camper has a 50 amp plug, I would just run #6 wire and install the 50 amp setup. No fuss no muss no worries = one happy camper!!
Grafton Guns is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical, service