Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2018, 06:17 AM   #113

I think people need to realize that the border is what secures a nation from outside forces. That goes for the U.S. and Canada. Both are separate countries with their own laws and you can't expect your home laws to apply where ever you go. Securing the border means you get questioned and the officer is given access to information to help him do his job.

When you show up at the border and ask permission to enter the other country, the officer doesn't know you from a tourist or someone looking to do harm to their country or illegal human trafficking. So they are going to use the tools at their disposal to ask questions and make a determination.

I don't what people are expecting - maybe just say "Hi my name is Joe Smith" and be let in? If that's the case then every terrorist or bad guy would just do that. If you support strong borders, this is what it looks like. It might take a couple of minutes but I don't want to consider the alternative.
MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2018, 07:49 AM   #114

That doesn’t seem to apply coming in to the U.S. The government lets them in hoping to get a vote and the citizens pay the price.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:18 AM   #115

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
You need to seriously reconsider that approach. See the post at A Part of the TiffinRVNetwork • Login for a good review of an experience I had in 2017.
Matches my experience to a T. I am convinced both CWP and gun ownership are on Canada customs computer by name. If illegal for US govt to retain info, why give info to Canada?
Grn_Mtn_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:46 AM   #116

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grn_Mtn_Boy View Post
Matches my experience to a T. I am convinced both CWP and gun ownership are on Canada customs computer by name. If illegal for US govt to retain info, why give info to Canada?
Some of this should be no different than listing a drivers license and the qualifications on that license.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:58 AM   #117

Quote:

You do realize that Canada is a separate country? Something that is illegal in the U.S. can be perfectly legal there. Canada has strict anti-gun laws - they are just enforcing their laws. I don't like them and would fight like heck against them in the U.S. but it's their country.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:17 PM   #118

Thankless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Customs agents can go all over the board. Some will be really cool and some will be total jackrabbits. Be nice, be polite, smile, but don't sneer and answer their questions honestly. Most are good people just doing a rather thankless job.
When you say "thankless"....you mean OTHER than the $80K per year they're making, right? :-)
Michael Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:59 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art A View Post
The US has been sharing various government data bases with Canadian Border people for a while now. The FBI National Crime Information Center (NCIC) database is the big one. It gives them your criminal history, firearms you've registered, even if you've ever attempted suicide. Do a little googling and you'll be surprised just how much info a Canadian Border guard has on US citizens.
There is no registration of firearms in the US.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:05 PM   #120

Quote:
Nope. There are no lists of gun ownership in the US. And while some states might share lists of CWP owners, as I noted earlier I am sure Idaho does not.

There is also no list of gun purchasers. Gun purchase forms are retained by the seller. There are ple ty in the US who would like to change that but so far the NRA has had our backs.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:10 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
You need to seriously reconsider that approach. See the post at A Part of the TiffinRVNetwork • Login for a good review of an experience I had in 2017.
Can’t access it. You arguing against the Idaho law?
Old 09-10-2018, 04:22 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryinID View Post
Found I am somewhat wrong on that. There is no national registration of gun ownership in the US. But six states require all or some types of guns to be registered. You’d have to check to see if your state does, and if they share the list. My state does not and will not unless we get totally Californicated. Although the trend is bad I won’t live to see that happen in Idaho.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:01 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleKing View Post
You do realize that Canada is a separate country? Something that is illegal in the U.S. can be perfectly legal there. Canada has strict anti-gun laws - they are just enforcing their laws. I don't like them and would fight like heck against them in the U.S. but it's their country.

States also have different laws, you don't see border checks to enforce those laws! Someone mentioned bad people/terrorist getting into our country, like all the people in the US are good people?? I'm all for open borders.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:31 PM   #124

For decades we traveled several times a year to Canada both tent camping and adult weekend getaways. After a time, we chose to not bother with the border hassle any longer, the USA has plenty for us to enjoy. I might add, the US customs were generally not as user friendly as the Canadians.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:04 AM   #125

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryinID View Post
All sales of firearms by licensed dealers are reported to ATF. (Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms) Also, NCIC has extensive firearms records for various law enforcement related activities. If someone has purchased a firearm from a licensed dealer, they are in one or both of those databases. It might not be called, "Registration" per se, but our government has that information and so does anyone with access to those systems....such as Canadian border guards.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:32 AM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
States also have different laws, you don't see border checks to enforce those laws! Someone mentioned bad people/terrorist getting into our country, like all the people in the US are good people?? I'm all for open borders.

There's a difference between a state border and an international border.

If you're for open borders, can you point to one other country that has open borders or has in the past and it has worked? Besides, I'm sure you're OK with someone coming onto your land and setting up camp since the borders of your property mean nothing.