Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2009, 07:37 PM   #15
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
It works the same way for us Canadians going into the USA. It is almost like your homeland security doesn’t want anyone in. Oh yes, in Canada it is illegal to shoot anyone with an unregistered gun. You might get scolded if you do.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2009, 01:27 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
I know of many RV rs in the USA that carry "Heat" with them all the time for protection and some of those won't travel to Canada because they can't bring it with them.
I feel a little vulnerable when in the USA and alone because with Canada plates they know I don't.
GeoSKlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:16 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
They might be asking key questions to trip you up if you're not telling the truth.

Horror stories about people trying to carry weapons across the border... BIG NO NO

If they suspect or smell anything... They'll do a complete search for weapons... Jail time awaits.. big fines, etc...
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:37 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCM View Post
It works the same way for us Canadians going into the USA. It is almost like your homeland security doesn’t want anyone in. Oh yes, in Canada it is illegal to shoot anyone with an unregistered gun. You might get scolded if you do.
No offense, but don't you suppose their attitude comes from the fact that 8 years 18 days ago we had 3000 of our innocent citizens murdered by people who came into the country legally.

That said, I have crossed the Canadian and Mexican borders a number of times and I have discovered that MY attitude, to a great extent, determines their attitude.

Same applies to any situation where you are dealing with an authority. I am a lawyer and have been stopped by John Law a few times in the last 15 years. I have yet to receive a citation because I greet them with my license, a smile and no excuses.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:18 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R. Haller View Post
It seems that the Canadian views of American is that we are all gun loving, bible carrying, NRA members.
-Paul R. Haller-
You mean WE'RE NOT!!!.....
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:31 PM   #20
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Although I am from Canada where even our snow balls must be registered I find the following interesting.
INTERVIEW WITH CAR DEALER.
Check out this video. It sure did not go the way CNN wanted. The dealer kept his cool.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/newsworthy-reports/24388-cnn-interview-goes-wrong-truck-dealer-muller-lets-them-have.html#post322479
Old 10-01-2009, 08:23 AM   #21

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by adj View Post
Wow! I'm ignorant. What's with the "meat" policy?

Homeland security took our hamburger patties at the border coming back into the states. We had bought them at a Wal-mart in Canada and they were just about the best patties we've ever had. The reason given for taking them was "Mad Cow Disease". I honestly think they don't really
have a reason for taking the meat as they left other meat and didn't even check the rest of our fridge. We decided they were going to have a BBQ and needed more patties.
hrendeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:57 AM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman_777 View Post
They might be asking key questions to trip you up if you're not telling the truth.

Horror stories about people trying to carry weapons across the border... BIG NO NO

If they suspect or smell anything... They'll do a complete search for weapons... Jail time awaits.. big fines, etc...
An acquaintance inadvertently tried to enter Canada with a gun in his RV. When asked about weapons, his looks, and later admission, tipped the very astute crossing guard that he had something. He showed it to the guy and they confiscated it and tossed him out, not to be allowed back into Canada for a year.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:13 PM   #23

Someone hit the nail on the head. Be honest and pleasant and you'll have no problems. Answer only what is asked. My first crossing into Canada this year (I've been to Canada many other times) I declared a shotgun with the proper paperwork filled out in advance. After a short 'interview' with an immigration officer I was allowed into the country without an inspection. I crossed back and forth between Canada and the US several more times without a problem or inspection. Noone ever entered my motorhome.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:18 PM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
We entered Canada at Cornwall from upstate NY. To enter was very easy. We took the 401 to Windsor to cross back to the states. The crossing to the US wasn't backed up bad a all. We handed the officer our passports,and answered his questions honestly. He asked if we bought anything in Canada that we were bring back, and my answer was, no the only thing we did was drive thru staying at a rv park the night before, and I did buy a dinner,and got gas the night before. No smart answers, and and answered with a smile. To our sugrin, another offer came out, saying he was coming on board. My wife got up opened the door, and he charged on in. Went thru our freezer, and refridg. He found three of the five limes we bought in NY, and we also had three apples, in a fruit bowl. They took the limes, and the red apple as he said it was from Chilli. It was a BRAEBURN that we bought at a Wal-Mart along with the limes in upstate NY. This guy seemed like that badge went to his head. He said that we could be fined $300.00 per item for not telling them. I again told him where we got the fruit, and he asked for a reciept, I said I did not keep the reciept, but it would be on our debit card so I could prove it. He finally turned us loose but kept the limes and the apple! I should have got his name, that guy probably needs reported! Our friends just got home from a trip to British Columbia, and the told of a simular experiance, when crossing. Are we seniors being profiled ?? Just kidding!

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:32 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamguy View Post
No offense, but don't you suppose their attitude comes from the fact that 8 years 18 days ago we had 3000 of our innocent citizens murdered by people who came into the country legally.

That said, I have crossed the Canadian and Mexican borders a number of times and I have discovered that MY attitude, to a great extent, determines their attitude.

Same applies to any situation where you are dealing with an authority. I am a lawyer and have been stopped by John Law a few times in the last 15 years. I have yet to receive a citation because I greet them with my license, a smile and no excuses.

Would you be suggesting that these people entered the USA from Canada??
GeoSKlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:46 AM   #26

Turn engine off.
Take sunglasses off.
Have passports ready.
Everyone up front where they can see your face.
Just answer the questions, no comments.
You will be asked about guns.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:19 AM   #27

They had a long line of RV's and were going thru all of them, even making people put out their slides. They didn't ask us to put out our slides and the only thing she checked was our freezer.
hrendeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:08 AM   #28

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
We cross back and forth at least a few times a year, sometimes with our camper sometimes just in the car. My husband does business travel from Montreal and we have a daughter who lives in Toronto. We rarely have problems. They have all that info online so I figure they know us pretty well by now. However my s-i-l is having a heck of a time getting a visa to move to the US with my daughter, his wife. It looks liek it's going to take anywhere from 6-9 months which means they will have to live apart for a time since she has a job in the US beginning in January. Illegal aliens come in by the hundreds, but it takes forever for a legitimate individual to come in. The US should be happy, she got her doctorate in CA and is coming back to the US to work.