Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2011, 09:59 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
If you wonder why GA is in such bad shape just look at who they elect. Be sure and watch the video Rep. Hank Johnson: Guam could 'tip over and capsize' - The Washington Scene - TheHill.com
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2011, 10:22 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
iRV2 Rules

Be Courteous!
Please think before you post and keep your comments limited to the topic at hand and above all be nice. If you come across any violations to these guidelines or have any problems navigating the site, do not hesitate to let us know through the Forums Contact Form. We'll be happy to address your concerns. Treating each other with respect and kindness, and thinking before you speak will go a long way toward making this an enjoyable place.
Our rules extend to all sections of the website including messaging functions, blogs, galleries and any other public or private posting.
Do not engage in personal attacks. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Sarcasm, belligerence, insults, profanity, extreme anger, offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation,and national origin are not acceptable.
Discussions of politics and religion are not allowed at iRV2.
Discussion of subjects such as guns, gun rights, abortion, sexually explicit topics, vulgar humor or anything that is threatening, harassing, tasteless or abusive rarely end well. For this reason the moderation team may edit or delete discussions of these topics as well as any other topic deemed to be divisive or inappropriate. Images or links to websites with adult content/images or punctuation marks designed to "trick" our obscenity filter may be removed or edited at our discretion.
Do not post libelous remarks or directly misleading information.
Do not start or participate in brand wars, i.e. my XXX brand is better than your XXXX brand.
The language of this forum is English. If you are not a native English speaker, do your best. We are glad to have you as a member and will be supportive and polite.
This forum is largely self-policing, which means that moderators will respond and react to problems reported through the REPORT POST option, via the CONTACT FORM at the bottom of each page, or via PM. Do not hesitate to use these tools to report any problems regarding the forum.
Do not post the same discussion more than once or in more than one forum.
We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate ANY rudeness. If we feel the guidelines are violated we may remove, edit or delete posts and if necessary restrict or remove account access. Any abuse toward our administrators or moderators may result in immediate suspension of your account. Complaints about a moderator's decision regarding a particular post are not be made in posts; instead send a private message to a moderator. If a moderator deletes or edits one of your posts and you disagree with the action, contact the moderator concerned. Do not repost deleted material.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:24 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
X2 Post 13 and 14. I have become a VOTE THE BUMS OUT person...all of them, both parties.

Even trying to get through their swarmy "look how great I am" BS websites to send the emails was disgusting. Not a single one of them is doing what the Founding Fathers had in mind. George, Ben, Tom, and the boys are probably spinning in their graves. They pledged their lives and sacred honor for the clowns we have in office today...I think not.

It's time for change alright...change them all !!!!
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twomed View Post
X2 Post 13 and 14. I have become a VOTE THE BUMS OUT person...all of them, both parties.

Even trying to get through their swarmy "look how great I am" BS websites to send the emails was disgusting. Not a single one of them is doing what the Founding Fathers had in mind. George, Ben, Tom, and the boys are probably spinning in their graves. They pledged their lives and sacred honor for the clowns we have in office today...I think not.

It's time for change alright...change them all !!!!
See post #17 please.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:25 PM   #19

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyBob View Post
Let's not forget the HOPE. Sad days indeed. I tend to think it should be HOPELESS. I pray things get better for the folks of whom you speak.
Bob HOPE died. CHANGE is something I have very little of in my pocket.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:28 PM   #20

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbuster View Post
I agree with everyone, we can not stand much more change. I keep waiting on our government to tell us we are broke. Then sorry, we are taking what you have.

This could happen very soon!
As soon as next week...POTUS said as much tonight, where if his wishes are not met, no payments to Social Security, military retirees....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:06 AM   #21

We recently stayed at an RV park in eastern Washington. Was actually the first one we had ever stayed at. Somewhat of an eye opener.

The park had 35 spaces. At least 2/3 were full time residents. We were there for a week and since it was a working trip for me I remained tethered to the MH. Had the opportunity to visit with several of the residents. All of the stories had a similar theme.

Many had stated that their decline started several years ago. It was getting harder and harder to get by, no savings left and then something happened. Some were injuries and some were layoffs.

I see the same thing with my neighbors. Many have gone from being comfortable to just getting by. They are working just as hard as they always have but a steady drain of buying power is sucking them dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH3rd View Post
The average worker in Beijing China earns $4000/yr which is the highest "worker" salary in China...
My homes property taxes and insurance exceed $4k a year. The overall tax burden for an average Chinese worker is about 15%. Mine being self employed was about 35% last year.

Although the wealthiest Americans pay the bulk of the income tax the taxation burden is felt hardest by low wage earners. Only recently in my state did voters slap the Legislature and reduce car tab fees. Imagine having to pay a months wages just for the necessity of being able to drive to work. That is what the average worker was paying.

There is an old joke that goes: A Conservative is a Liberal who has been mugged. A Liberal is a Conservative who lost his job.

I'm meeting a lot of Liberals these day.
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:15 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
Sitting here in a RV park in Norcross Ga I have bumped into a few, quite a few people who lost their homes and are now camping out to survive. I found the same thing in Valdosta Ga yesterday. Most have a small truck with a small trailer and go out and do repair work while their DW's work at the CG to help pay for the space. I think more and more as homes are foreclosed on we will see more and more of this. Right now the average city has 21% of all homes in foreclosure (plus the 20% that have been already foreclosed on). Soon we will see a sea of nomads traveling the highways searching for work. It's a sad situation for America and I see no end in sight. I feel really bad for the family's that have kids. We are going backward into the 1930's and it's a real sad day for this once great country. A lot of older folks had a chance to build up a fund to retire but the middle aged people haven't and have no where to go and no jobs to be had. Have any of you noticed this also?

My family joined the ranks of what I am told are now called "The Working Homeless" on May 9, 2006. For us it was a flood, not a foreclosure that did it. The flood left my dad in a coma for 2 months and in rehab for 6 months, he returned "home" to his car 8 months after the flood disabled, unable to work, and barely able to survive on disability checks. My mom ran off with another man. My 3 teenaged brothers got shipped off to relatives. I have Autism and was left as the only one "able" to work, yet no one will hire someone with Autism and in spite of the "EVERYONE" being required to have health insurance, I am not eligible for medical insurance or disability, due to the fact I have Autism. Multi-million dollars in medical bills due to the $30,000 a day cost of keeping my dad on life support while in the coma, resulted in my dad loosing his grandparent's' farm WHILE he was still in the coma in the hospital, and no hope in sight of ever having a way to live in a house again.

This is how I came to live in a motorhome.

I see people talk of RV vacations and I've see some folks talk bad at folks who full time out of nessesacty. I ask those folks: what if it was you? You don't know what tomorrow holds. We had everything we wanted, everything we needed, and than in the space of under 3 minutes it all vanished under a tidal wave. Everything we owned: gone without warning in the blink of an eye. We didn't plan a fulltimer lifestyle. It was thrown on us. we didn't have a choice. We boondock, not by choice, but because we have too. If we could afford to stay in RV Parks we could afford to stay in an apartment.

I see a lot of folks here blaming Pres O. But in 2006 when it happened to us, no one had ever heard of him. Back than, we were far from alone - yes, there are a lot of homeless out there, but ask them HOW LONG they've been homeless - most of the homeless I've met so far, lost their homes in the 1990s and earlier.

It's not a recent thing this surge of homeless living in RVs...it's just that it's been going on so long now, that the numbers are starting to add up, because nothing has been done to get housing prices down or higher paying jobs available...all the way back before Pres. O, and B. all the way back to Clinton!

Now granted I have Autism and I don't understand how Pres jobs work and all, but when I'm out there looking for a job, it's not the Pres who is standing there telling me they can't hire some one with Autism, it's the business owners. It's not the Pres telling my dad he can't get a loan to rebuild his house because he's disabled: it's the bank owners. Maybe the Pres is at fault too, but he's not the one saying "No" to use folks trying to get jobs.

My income since the flood in 2006, is $2,000 per year, (yes, I'm living on $100 - $150 per month) I make that by selling photography on Zazzle.com and I continue to look for a job, but 5 years and 400+ job applications later, I am still being told "We don't hire people with Autism".

As for is it everywhere? In the Greater Portland Area of Maine (5 towns including Portland), there are estimated to be 32,000 homeless living on the streets, in their cars/trucks, or in motorhomes, and yet Portland itself, Maine's largest city, has a population of 64,000 people. Those aren't very good odds, when you consider the second largest toen in the area has 20,000 and the third has 12,000.
EelKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:07 PM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jminyard View Post
i sent the e-mail below to all of our senators & representatives.

"i am sick and tired of what is happening in washington! I understand that our government is planning to reduce benefits to current medicare and social security beneficiaries and destroy medicare as we now know it for future generations 55 and younger. I realize that these programs can't continue with our economy in the shape it is in, but there is a simple solution.
We are sending billions of our tax dollars to foreign countries, many of whom would like to bury us. I believe we should stop all foreign aid, except for disaster relief and possible humanitarian needs, and this aid should be administered by our own organizations such as red cross, etc, and not given directly to the governments of those countries so that it does not end up in the hands of corrupt individuals.
Secondly, we have spent trillions of dollars and cost the lives of thousands of our young men and women on wars that we will never win, i was totally in favor of sending our troops to avenge 9/11, but i believe that if a war cannot be won in a year or so that it will never be won. Vietnam is a good example of that! I think we should bring all of our troops home immediately. Those countries have been fighting among themselves for centuries and when we leave, whether now or 10 years from now, they will go right back to where they were before we set foot on their soil! We can't afford to be policemen for the world, and we are now broke to prove it! Bring our troops home and position them along the border between the us and mexico to stop the flood of illigal immigrants that are draining our limited resources.
I hope you will seriously consider what i have said. I promise you that if you guys cut and destroy medicare and social security that i will do everything in my power to vote you out of office in the next election! God bless you!"

amen to that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:58 PM   #24

Thanks for opening your minds and hearts to America!

Can you believe there are forums out there that would crucify anyone who attempted such 'political' conversations as these? All they want to do is stick their heads in the sand and play their retirement games, ignoring what this is all about. Thanks for being concerned enough to allow this free speech..

My 2Cents, ok?

Many of you realize it, some have said it. What's happening that's important is NOT the social security, the obocare, the defaults etc. It's all about a well-orchestrated effort to wipe America off the face of the earth, in it's current form. Until we all fully understand that, we have no chance at fixing things.

We sent different folks to Congress last time and what have they done? Sold us out just like the rest of them. R and D are no different. It's always been 'good cop/bad cop' playing our stupidity and our incessant hope that the next batch will make things right, while all along, they are burying us deeper and deeper in laws designed to 'legally' enslave us.

Well, it ain't gonna happen until we regain control over our govt, and imho, the very first step is to force this so-called 28th amendment, placing all polititians on equal status with us, the working public.

What we need is a direct grass-roots movement that will actually have some effect on them, something with teeth, something that provides consequences for their actions.

Right now, all we are is a bunch of pissed-off folks with false teeth on the dresser. Call or write your congressman? Ha!

Time for a change, folks, but to change from 'something', you need to have clearly identified exactly what you are changing away from. Believe it, it's not any of the stuff you see in the media. That's just fluff to keep us busy worrying about the wrong things while they continue tightening the noose behind closed doors.

more, but hopefully you get my point.
Like the guy with the sign at the intersection says

"Please Help!"
allegroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:45 PM   #25

We are all headed for the 1929 depression era again. Loss of jobs, loss of incomes and no way for transportation. Gas prices will be so high none of us can afford a trip around the block. We have no money. Obamacare will be here and not a cent can we afford towards it, or to pay the fines for it if we don't have it. Wake up America. It might be too late now. I'm getting my RV ready to shack up in when my house gets taken.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:21 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Getting political Folks!!

Let's stay on the topic the OP started.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:03 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
As to the OP's question and or statement, YES, Georgia has been very hard hit by the recession and economic downturn. Our statewide unemployment rate is greater than the national average.

I publish the local newspaper here in Dallas, Ga. and the foreclosure rate for the last 3 years has been astronomical in my area alone. Norcross, where you are speaking of is in Gwinnett county which has the highest foreclosure rate in the state. Low down or no down intrest only mortgages ran rampant in our state starting in the 90's and I blame this smoke and mirror show for the lions share of it.

Also some of our states largest industries such as Georgia-Pacific and Home Depot along with others are tied directly to the home construction market which is more or less DOA in this day and time. Many of our states self-employed and small business owners were contractors or serviced the building industry. This puts our local economy in dire shape as people try to re-train or realign for different types of industry or work. Also what market to pursue as everything seems flat.

To post #15, you should really study a little more before throwing a blatant slap at my entire state. This state has a large population of blacks and minorities. In several of the areas where their population is highly concentrated many lack higher education. Come election time they will vote for the candidate of the same race who makes the most noise rather than voting by whom is qaulified or capable. This doesn't mean that the whole state or it's people are represented by this, only a certain district. Our other congressional IDIOT of note was Cynthia Mckinney from Dekalb county, hardly worth the oxygen which she takes up.

We have several good congress people within the state and shouldn't be judged by the few nut jobs.
Parkerrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #28

As to OP...yes I do believe we will be seeing an increase in FT Rvers and an increase in permanent park residents. I actually started a thread posing a similar question, Predict an increase in FT RVers awhile back. People who have or can obtain the shelter of an RV are the lucky ones because I do believe that there is going to be an increase in homelessness...Sacramento already has tent city on BLM land (doesn't count on their books as homeless in Sacramento since the area is unincorporated), This 'tent city is in the same place as a 'tent city' that formed there back in the 1930's!! I don't know what the solution is or will be at this point, but I hope our citizenry will come together on a level of humanity...my favorite scene in "The Grapes Of Wrath" is when 'Ma' tells the hungry kids to go get a flat stick and she shares what little she has. Call me a bleeding heart, but I pray we all come together and stand together and say in unison, "I am my brother's keeper" when it comes to meeting basic needs. I count my blessings everyday that I have an RV because I know it is possible that I may have to park it somewhere and call it my S/B with wheels (hopefully not!!), but until then I will keep on rolling. If I happen upon a less fortunate soul, I will at the very least share a flat stick worth of food