Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2011, 06:00 PM   #1

Unhappy USA land of the nomads?

Sitting here in a RV park in Norcross Ga I have bumped into a few, quite a few people who lost their homes and are now camping out to survive. I found the same thing in Valdosta Ga yesterday. Most have a small truck with a small trailer and go out and do repair work while their DW's work at the CG to help pay for the space. I think more and more as homes are foreclosed on we will see more and more of this. Right now the average city has 21% of all homes in foreclosure (plus the 20% that have been already foreclosed on). Soon we will see a sea of nomads traveling the highways searching for work. It's a sad situation for America and I see no end in sight. I feel really bad for the family's that have kids. We are going backward into the 1930's and it's a real sad day for this once great country. A lot of older folks had a chance to build up a fund to retire but the middle aged people haven't and have no where to go and no jobs to be had. Have any of you noticed this also?
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2011, 06:15 PM   #2

Change, have you had enough yet?
tvman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:19 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvman44
Change, have you had enough yet?
I second that
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
Let's not forget the HOPE. Sad days indeed. I tend to think it should be HOPELESS. I pray things get better for the folks of whom you speak.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:13 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
As a truckdriver on our roads, yes I am seeing more and more of these nomads. I mostly travel Indiana. I am seeing a lot of the big Diesel motorhomes pulling a toad. ALso I am seeing smaller more well used Travel Trailers going south, towed by vans. I work for paving companys and this state is putting less into repaving roads and building new 4 lanes and bypasses. Oh I must add the bicycle/walking paths on the old railroad beds. Crazy just plain crazy. Our regular hiways will be imposable to travel soon. Our people are going to be starving to death this winter I am afraid. Very little work around.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:31 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I agree with everyone, we can not stand much more change. I keep waiting on our government to tell us we are broke. Then sorry, we are taking what you have.

This could happen very soon!
Dirtbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:39 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbuster View Post
I agree with everyone, we can not stand much more change. I keep waiting on our government to tell us we are broke. Then sorry, we are taking what you have.

Yep, we should put our previous administration back in office. They would fix everything up.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:08 PM   #8

You really want to see what is happening.?

Go read the Unabombers Manifesto. Written in 94 and tells the truth about today.

Why not, you have nothing else to do.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:52 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I hope this thread is not going to become a choosing up of sides. Regardless of your political views, we are all going through tough times right now.
No matter how lucky I feel I am, the truth is I could be hungry and homeless in no time. I count my blessings daily but the truth is, no one knows where this is all headed. If anyone feels untouchable by these hard times, think again, our entire economy is at stake.
I talked to some young people the other day who I thought were most courageous. They were in there mid 20's driving an old school bus that was reminiscent of a day gone by. Everywhere they stopped, they cooked food and gave shelter to the homeless. They allowed anyone with artistic talent to paint a section on the bus. They said they loved it because every area of the bus, inside and out reminded them of where they had been and who they had helped. God Bless them.
We made a few donations of new clothing that they were very thankful for. Not for themselves, but for others who were less fortunate. I was touched by there generous spirit and their willingness to give so much from someone that I viewed as having so little to give.
I can only aspire to be anywhere near as generous as they are.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:16 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
The race to the bottom driven by greed

The average worker in Beijing China earns $4000/yr which is the highest "worker" salary in China. IF U.S. workers are supposed to compete with the Chinese, then our economy will have to lose 90% of its value (median income in U.S. is about $40,000). At that point we will not be able to afford to shop at WalleyWord or even the $.10 store!

This has been the plan of the International Corporatists who don't don't give a D... about the U.S.A for the last 40 years and EVERY administration since Nixion has played a supporting role; rewarding companies for moving jobs over seas and letting their "products" into our market without the same tariff they apply to our goods.

Today, in the U.S., our "best-money-can-buy" politicians are owned by these ICs and until that changes... well, we all know how the next chapter of this story goes.
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:42 PM   #11

Met a graphics designer tonight that now has a part time job at Wal-Mart. Lost his home and now is living in his 1995 MH with his wife and 2 small dogs. Sad stories all over this park. Scares me to think about my 4 kids and what may happen to them. I'm writing all this down maybe someday I'll write a book.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:03 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbuster View Post

And the scary part is even if you have money in the bank you really can't get much of it out in cash. Go to the bank and tell them you need very much in cash and they will tell you they can't give it to you or that they need a couple of days lead time. This is because they really don't have the cash on hand. There are also laws that require the banks to report any time you take out over 10k in cash. So even if you think you have money you will probably be broke. It's probably already too late to do much of anything but pray.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:50 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I sent the e-mail below to all of our senators & representatives.

"I am sick and tired of what is happening in Washington! I understand that our government is planning to reduce benefits to current Medicare and Social Security beneficiaries and destroy Medicare as we now know it for future generations 55 and younger. I realize that these programs can't continue with our economy in the shape it is in, but there is a simple solution.
We are sending BILLIONS of our tax dollars to foreign countries, many of whom would like to bury us. I believe we should stop ALL foreign aid, except for disaster relief and possible humanitarian needs, and this aid should be administered by our own organizations such as Red Cross, etc, and NOT given directly to the governments of those countries so that it does not end up in the hands of corrupt individuals.
Secondly, we have spent TRILLIONS of dollars and cost the lives of thousands of our young men and women on wars that we will NEVER WIN, I was totally in favor of sending our troops to avenge 9/11, but I believe that if a war cannot be won in a year or so that it will never be won. Vietnam is a good example of that! I think we should bring ALL of our troops home immediately. Those countries have been fighting among themselves for centuries and when we leave, whether now or 10 years from now, they will go right back to where they were before we set foot on their soil! We can't afford to be policemen for the world, and we are now broke to prove it! Bring our troops home and position them along the border between the US and Mexico to stop the flood of illigal immigrants that are draining our limited resources.
I hope you will seriously consider what I have said. I promise you that if you guys cut and destroy Medicare and Social Security that I will do everything in my power to vote you out of office in the next election! God bless you!"
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:17 AM   #14

Thanks for all the replies but we all know the government is responsible for most of it and I didn't want to start a political thread. I was just curious if it's this way all over the USA or worse in some parts. It seems GA has been hit hard as well as TN. I saw a few people is this situation in Fl. on some of my 4 day trips but nothing like this here in GA/TN