Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2020, 01:47 PM   #15

Imagine how much of this could be solved if the major rental companies were to just add a wall mounted touch screen pre-loaded with common how to videos.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2020, 01:55 PM   #16

It always amazes me how much non-RV folks are fixated on the black tank dumping aspect of RVs. I've been doing this for more than 20 years and when I dump the black tank my hands don't get any dirtier than they would if I picked up a rock on the ground. Maybe too many novices get their instructions from Hollywood movies.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:32 PM   #17

Everyone has a first time. Hopefully it is a positive experience.

2 years ago, we hopped on a plane from Michigan to San Francisco, taxi'd to the Cruise america lot, visited the local Walmart for provisions, and headed out. I'd watched a few videos on general how-to including operation of the plumbing. And we'd over-planned so we brought or bought what we needed - we thought. Yes, I asked a few questions from helpful neighbors. And answered a couple for a guy more clueless than us who had just left a dealership with his new class A earlier that day.

A week and 1100 miles into our experiment, we'd learned a lot. The most important lesson was that we could do fine living in a box on wheels, and should go ahead with our plan to buy in a couple of years.

Other lessons:
- Leveling blocks are a good thing.
- RV mirrors stick out further than standard pickup mirrors.

Note the leveling "block" and the duct taped mirror.

Now we get to be clueless newbies again. Our 5th wheel finally arrived at the dealership and we will pick it up next week. We will be more prepared this time but will still have plenty of opportunity for newbishness.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sequoia180627.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	294301  
Tim_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:52 PM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good luck Tim T with the new fifth wheel.

I for one would like to know how the towing goes with your 7.3 gas Godzilla motor. Thinking about selling my F350 with the diesel. Too many issues with the DPF and SCR systems. The gas V8 with a good rear axle should be fine.

PS: you're lucky you only wacked the mirror.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 05:09 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
I sent the article to my nephew who is planning a cruise America rental this fall. He and a couple of college buddies are planning to go from NYC to SF cross country. I think it will be useful to them, but the conversations we have are helping them a lot.

Regards.

Chuck

Tags
rental