Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2010, 06:39 PM   #29

My APT's shower has the same kind of shower walls as my TT...
What I have done for the past several years is: I use thisKlasse Car Care Products, Klasse Detailing Products, Klasse Sealant, klasse all in one I apply it once every six months and I've yet to see anything stick to the shower walls.
I also do the counter tops, chrome faucets, sink basin and toilet. Cleaning is simply wiping down with some germ killer stuff.
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2010, 11:32 PM   #30

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Instant Rust Out works great cleaning tubs/showers.. spray, soak, rinse.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:26 AM   #31

Haven't even thought twice about it. By the end of the trip I'm dumped, do a little rinse and I'm ready for the next trip!
Revodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:04 AM   #32

Then there are the people who use the campground facilities cause they don't want to get their tanks dirty.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:14 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
With everything else that finds it's way into the tank from the kitchen I think bar soap is the least to worry about.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:08 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
Are you just pouring the CLR into a spray bottle? I might have to try that. I have the orange peel FRP board making up my shower and it takes alot of scrubbing with comet and one of those scrubber sponges to get the hard-water soap scum build up off.
We have used scrubbing bubbles auto cleaner, and have not scrubbed a shower since, ours looks brand new now... Here is a link... Scrubbing Bubbles ® : We Work Hard So You Don't Have To
flamebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:33 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My wife uses Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner for everything and loves it. Try it on old dirty sneakers, works great.
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:49 AM   #36

Bar Soap vs. Liquid body wash

My neighbor had to drop his gray water tank last spring..........The fifth wheel he has is four years old and they use bar soap for showers........
Inside the tank was six inches of solid soap.......It collected in the bottom of the tank and stayed there............He had to shovel it out, replace a couple of "P" traps and put the whole thing back in the trailer.......
He was lucky that the tank would slide out from under the fifth wheel and it wasn't located in a bay............
I think the cold air outside made the soap solidify and stay in the tank......

We use DIAL liquid soap in the shower in a pump dispenser and always have....

I'm sure the bar soap caused his problem...............He noticed the problem when he found hundreds of flies coming out of the roof vent from the gray water tank.........I guess the flies were eating the soap mass in the tank and laying eggs in there..............He hasn't had a fly problem since he cleaned the tank and switched to DIAL liquid soap........

Weird

John
johnboy545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #37

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy545 View Post
My neighbor had to drop his gray water tank last spring..........The fifth wheel he has is four years old and they use bar soap for showers........
Inside the tank was six inches of solid soap.......It collected in the bottom of the tank and stayed there............He had to shovel it out, replace a couple of "P" traps and put the whole thing back in the trailer.......
He was lucky that the tank would slide out from under the fifth wheel and it wasn't located in a bay............
I think the cold air outside made the soap solidify and stay in the tank......

We use DIAL liquid soap in the shower in a pump dispenser and always have....

I'm sure the bar soap caused his problem...............He noticed the problem when he found hundreds of flies coming out of the roof vent from the gray water tank.........I guess the flies were eating the soap mass in the tank and laying eggs in there..............He hasn't had a fly problem since he cleaned the tank and switched to DIAL liquid soap........

Weird

John

Hey John, tell yer buddy he really needs to stop pouring all his bacon grease down his sink drain, have his wife stop brushing her hair out over the bathroom sink and to dump his holding tanks a little more often .
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:25 PM   #38

Just really strange... I owned my Dodge Jamboree nearly 20 years and never had a issue with grey water tank or soap...

Quote:
Hey John, tell yer buddy he really needs to stop pouring all his bacon grease down his sink drain, have his wife stop brushing her hair out over the bathroom sink and to dump his holding tanks a little more often .
But always dumped the grease and other things of that such in a container and disposed of it in the trash.

But I've always flush the holding tank really well before I put the RV up for season. Even if I did a short trip I would alway flush the holding tank and rinse them really good at home...
Old 01-03-2011, 04:50 PM   #39

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
Redneck is right,
Many RV manufactures allow the kitchen sink to drain into the black water holding tank. I checked mine, the sink drains to the grey WHT.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:53 PM   #40

RedneckExpress
How did your buddy “shovel it out”? Thru the little 1 ½ inch hole?
This is just an example of sitting then dumping and sitting then dumping etc.
Never dump until the tanks are ¾ full then DRIVE, AGITATE and MIX UP what is in the tank, only after the tank is thoroughly mixed then dump.
Driving down a smooth I‘state won’t necessarily the job, you need to go up/down hill and make left/right turns to SLOSH the continents around. At the end of the season I add about 1 gal of Simple Green etc. and then drive around for a while, then dump.
I fill my Kitchen, Bath and Shower basins with water then after I dump I flush the grey tank with this water. In 30 years of RV’n I have never had a problem.
Richard
Old 01-04-2011, 01:38 AM   #41

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
Redneck is right,
Many RV manufactures allow the kitchen sink to drain into the black water holding tank. I checked mine, the sink drains to the grey WHT.
Even in my nearly 40 year old camper, all the sinks drain to the gray tank. I've only ever seen a small handful of truck campers that drained into the very small black tank because the tank was inside the camper and directly under the shower floor.

Any large Toy Hauler or TT or 5er is going to have everything dedicatedly plumbed. If your friend's issue was in his "Black Tank" then it sounds more like he suffered from "Volcano Syndrome".

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardcoxid View Post
RedneckExpress
How did your buddy “shovel it out”? Thru the little 1 ½ inch hole?
This is just an example of sitting then dumping and sitting then dumping etc.
Never dump until the tanks are ¾ full then DRIVE, AGITATE and MIX UP what is in the tank, only after the tank is thoroughly mixed then dump.
Driving down a smooth I‘state won’t necessarily the job, you need to go up/down hill and make left/right turns to SLOSH the continents around. At the end of the season I add about 1 gal of Simple Green etc. and then drive around for a while, then dump.
I fill my Kitchen, Bath and Shower basins with water then after I dump I flush the grey tank with this water. In 30 years of RV’n I have never had a problem.
Richard
Richard, it was John's "Buddy" that had to "Shovel" soap out of his tank. I was poking at John because something wasn't adding up.

I've only ever had build up in my plumbing in one place and that was directly at the dump opening itself. The reason for the build up was full-timing without full hookups and using a drain cap that had a garden hose connection and draining the rv's grey water through that to leech field. Because the water was going through a very small opening, I managed to accumulate roughly a 1/16th of an inch of grease, not soap.

It came off with relative ease after a few holding tank dumps while on a trip.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:02 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamebuster View Post
We have used scrubbing bubbles auto cleaner, and have not scrubbed a shower since, ours looks brand new now... Here is a link... Scrubbing Bubbles ® : We Work Hard So You Don't Have To
We do the same and we have the same gadget in our home shower. Here's a product that lives up to the claims. Joe