Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2021, 06:36 PM   #29

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopsBrewster View Post
I've even used my trailer's bathroom while parked in traffic when the road was closed to clear up a wreck.
Had that happen on I-84,,,, Got a knock on the door..... Seems there was a bus full of Cheerleaders going to a Pep Rally competition....Had to tell them the "Rules" about feminine products go into the trash can, NOT down the toilet......Interesting times [for this old fellah!]
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2021, 08:57 PM   #30

Anybody traveling down the road in a vehicle faster than walking speed without being strapped in is a candidate for a posthumous Darwin Award.[emoji856][emoji3517]
[emoji40]
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:26 PM   #31

As many others have stated yes. Our bathroom is far cleaner and our toilet paper is much softer. Just be sure and put in some fresh water in your tank and I always make sure the water pump is off before getting back on the road.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 05:19 AM   #32

Another yes.

Once we were stuck for 6 hours on the 18 mile long Atchafalaya Basin Bridge between Baton Rouge and Lafayette, when four 18 wheelers tangled up. One of the trucks went over the side of the bridge and another caught fire.
I-10 was shut down for over 24 hours in both directions.

Although it was a buzz-kill to the start of our vacation, we turned it into a mini vacation stop.
Mt daughter and I walked up and down the bridge at least a hundred yards in each direction checking out all the wildlife in the Atchafalaya swamp.

I told my wife if any ladies show up to use the bathroom that was ok, line them out on the operation. But the guys would have to just do the best they can between open car doors.
Old 01-27-2021, 06:45 AM   #33

Be sure to check that the wife is sitting next to you before leaving the gas station.
[ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2005.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	315906  
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 03:43 PM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
DP driver here. I have no problem taking a leak at the yellow line. My wife will do it while I pump fuel.
Shutterbug57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:26 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We almost never use the public restrooms, unless we are headed home and have done our final dump of our tanks.

We also almost never stop for fast food. We prepare our own food when stop for a break.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:15 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
Anybody traveling down the road in a vehicle faster than walking speed without being strapped in is a candidate for a posthumous Darwin Award.[emoji856][emoji3517]
[emoji40]
I'm sorry but this made me laugh a little. No more motorcycle for me I guess. No more riding my bicycle on the road. Feel free to put me in as a candidate for the award. Each person has to evaluate risk/reward and decide for themself IMO.
Personally I don't even know anyone that's died in a vehicle crash. I know it happens but the risk is pretty low for a great driver.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 12:46 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
I'm sorry but this made me laugh a little.
It must be very nice to be easily entertained.
Quote:
No more motorcycle for me I guess.
I have ridden a motorcycle since 1970 and still do until this day. Only a patch of oil, a patch of sand and a railroad track have ever dumped me although many car drivers have tried. It wasn't all skill or luck. It was the interest in and ability to learn from the mistakes of others.
Quote:
Feel free to put me in as a candidate for the award.
Not necessary. You have probably already done it yourself judging by your apparently cavalier attitude towards being responsible for your own safety.
Quote:
Each person has to evaluate risk/reward and decide for themself IMO.
The best thing each person can do is mitigate the risks of engaging in and enjoying the activity by going to the trouble to learn about the risks and the best ways to deal with them. Then practice, practice, practice. Relying on, much less believing in luck, is a fool's game. Skill is reliable and repeatable. Luck is neither.
Quote:
Personally I don't even know anyone that's died in a vehicle crash.
I have known several and have read the accident reports of many, especially DOT regulated passenger coaches and school buses.
Quote:
I know it happens but the risk is pretty low for a great driver.
I have never met someone who thinks he/she is a great driver who is anything better than an average driver.(other than myself of course [emoji6])
In my 16 years of holding a Class B CDL for passenger buses and school buses I can remember about a dozen or more instances of having to do maximum performance braking to avoid killing careless pedestrians, bicyclists, motorcycle riders and car drivers. Stupid Human Tricks(SHT) by others are a daily hazard for professional bus drivers.[emoji2959]
[emoji40]
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 02:58 PM   #38

I'll answer for DW, she feels the same way: YES! and always. Me too fwiw. Once that business taken care of we'll go in for drink refill or snacks if needed. Also when we're rolling - when you got to go you got to go and having that facility back there is a great convenience.
Old 01-28-2021, 07:40 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by wumaj View Post
Just taken delivery of our first travel trailer and my wife has a question. She hates using the restrooms in travel centres and wants to know if other like minded women use their own facilities when their husbands are pumping gas.
We usually travel with about 5 gallons of water in the fresh tank, just for that purpose. Don't care much for the cleanliness of most Interstate rest areas. One in MA we stopped at last year was mobbed with truckers, and totally out of TP. Used the trailer; probably could have gotten rich charging admission to the truckers! In CT you'll find *very* limited hours for the rest areas, only alternatives are port-a-potties or your RV - I choose the RV. Never done it while pumping gas, but it's always an option.

As another post says, you're towing a toilet around behind you, why not use it?

Roger
Old 01-28-2021, 07:54 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopsBrewster View Post
I've even used my trailer's bathroom while parked in traffic when the road was closed to clear up a wreck.

One trip through Northern Nevada we were stopped for about 3 hrs. in a long line while a road washout was being repaired. DW and I had already been in the 5er to use the facilities. A man and quite pregnant woman approached out truck and asked if the woman could use our bathroom, DW and I took them into the 5er so the woman could relieve herself, she was obviously in pain.
They offered to pay us afterwards, which we refused. There was a portapotty alongside the road for workers that I would not use; inside a fiberglass box in summertime desert heat would be miserable for a man and much worse for a pregnant woman.
BTW, we always travel with a full fresh water tank for these unexpected happenings.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:00 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Was there a lineup from others around you?

Yep, and he made $100!
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 04:44 AM   #42

With the current situation with the virus what better excuse is there not having to expose yourself to more people or things then necessary, this can even speed up our stops, she uses the bathroom while fueling then if no line behind me i do or move quickly to a spot out of the way.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, travel