Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2020, 03:37 PM   #1

Question Used DP purchase now or wait till the virus settles - Seems like prices are rising

Thinking of buying a used Class A DP anywhere from $60K to $140K. Two potential directions,

A. High end 40+ feet likely 2004 - 2008

B. 34 - 38 feet highest quality possible, likely 2010 - 2016

The A or B decision is still TBD, there are two of us that need to agree.

Regardless, we have been to several RV dealerships in the Tampa area and used DP inventory is low and all trailers and Class C's are wiped out with completely empty lots.

I have been monitoring prices online and they seem to be going up. But sometimes you see a good price or two, but still based on unverified condition.

Can I get opinions on the state of this used market for my targets? Has the virus pushed prices too far, or is it just me? Do you think there will be price drops in the not to distant future? Virus, vaccine, election, bigger economy downturn as potential factors. This is like predicting the stock market.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2020, 04:01 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I've heard many say it's a seller's market right now!
Old 08-13-2020, 04:20 PM   #3

2010 to 2016 require DEF older models don't
Old 08-13-2020, 04:35 PM   #4

I think that the rush to purchase an RV was more in the low end travel trailer market and not in the high end diesel pushers. Also most who where considering making a purchase have already done so or have decided not to. The main issue now is lack of inventory which may drive up prices.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:01 PM   #5

X2 on hearing it's a seller's market right now. If it was me, I'd wait a while due to the Covid issues. I think that what's going to happen is that a lot of folks are either about to lose their jobs or already have and whether it's a DP or a TT, they are going to have to unload them because of their payments! Also X2 on the poster who noted that pre-2007ish DPs don't have the DPF and DEF headaches associated with diesels. A DEF head replacement is BIG bucks! And may also mean a tow. I am contemplating a newer DP in our future (someday) but I'm gambling that there is gonna be a glut of DPs and hope I can snag a deal someday...
Old 08-13-2020, 05:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin-Siesta View Post
Thinking of buying a used Class A DP anywhere from $60K to $140K. Two potential directions,

A. High end 40+ feet likely 2004 - 2008

B. 34 - 38 feet highest quality possible, likely 2010 - 2016

The A or B decision is still TBD, there are two of us that need to agree.

Regardless, we have been to several RV dealerships in the Tampa area and used DP inventory is low and all trailers and Class C's are wiped out with completely empty lots.

I have been monitoring prices online and they seem to be going up. But sometimes you see a good price or two, but still based on unverified condition.

Can I get opinions on the state of this used market for my targets? Has the virus pushed prices too far, or is it just me? Do you think there will be price drops in the not to distant future? Virus, vaccine, election, bigger economy downturn as potential factors. This is like predicting the stock market.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Boomers are retiring. Have disposable income. There go $$$.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:18 PM   #7

I would recommend option A. Almost all will say that over time they continue to go bigger and so Buying the bigger length motorhome now will save the upgrade later. Plus if you can find a nice condition older unit, you wil get more for your money. Plus a pre-DEF emissions engine, so less potential problems with that.
As for the market on used units? I think the higher end larger motorhomes are less affected than the lower cost trailers and smaller motorhomes. It may be more of a seller's market right now, but if you are not in a time crunch, keep looking and have cash ready when the right one comes along.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:26 PM   #8

Thanks for the comments.

Tommar, I'm hopping for a glut in the market too. Got any idea when? I appreciate the DEF related comments. I understanding them well, yes $5k a fix. I am the one on plan A, the other half is plan B (but she has good reasons).

38Chevy454, Thanks, I'm in line with your thinking. When I bought my 1989 Beaver in 2001, I few 6 or 7 flights until I got the right one. Currently, DW has grounded me from flying. Driving OK, but need confidence if I will pull the trigger.

Too anyone reading this. Please comment, good, bad, or your theory.

Thanks
Old 08-13-2020, 06:42 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Things are crazy, never would have thought the Covid 19 would have pushed RV sales but it definitely has.

My guess is that once the virus starts to settle down (jury is still on when though) the thrill of ownership may convince people to sell RV's that they make monthly payments on but only use occasionally. Plus the cost of storage, maintenance, insurance ..........you might say the thrill is gone.

If you can wait it might be worth your while.

I will be keeping my eyes open to a possible upgrade although I am happy with my current ride.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:02 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have been looking for a very specific used MH. There a few scattered around the country earlier in the year when we were not quite ready to buy. Missed out a perfect fit a couple of weeks ago that was 3 hours from home. A private seller and it sold within the first the add was out on RVTrader.

Yes its a seller's market. Unless you have to have the RV right now, I'd wait to see what happens. RV lots are not likely to get more empty, then nearly totally empty right now.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-14-2020, 08:44 AM   #11

If it's a matter of just pulling the trigger and getting one, I say why wait, get the one you really want and have fun now. Look nationwide. The one you want is out there for sure.
For me I'm not looking for a DP but a new TT. I'm debating selling my current 02 Keystone Hornet Lite 25FL and possibly getting maximum buck for it or just wait until spring. I'm not really ready for a new one now in the middle of August. I want a new one for sure in my driveway by tax day next year. How I go about it is yet to be determined.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:00 AM   #12

I'm casually shopping and am really only interested in pre-DPF coaches. These things are complicated enough and that's a big chunk of stuff to take off the table. Also, the price point of those older DPs gets you much more coach for the same $$. Of course, I'm going in with my eyes open and realize there can and will be repairs... and remodeling/updating.

As for the market conditions, sure there's scarcity right now but this idea that in a couple years people are going to be giving coaches away is a bit optimistic I think. Like any market there will be fluctuations but I'd be surprised if prices vary by more than 5% in the DP market. I could see towables having some more fluctuation but DP owners tend to be a little more financially stable/smart and will not just give things away.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:08 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Kevin - wish you the best in your search. I bought anew class b 24' and took it back in 6 days - 1 over night. It looked good, drove good but it was not right for us and at the time only took week long trips. Over the years we owned TTs, Gasser MHs and 2 DPs. We'll never go back to anything other than the DP. Costs more but the comfort and quality can't be beat.

A medium to higher end DP in the years you are looking at are going to be closer to the 100 grand area after taxes. A high end DP will run you in excess of your top figure. Prices seem to be holding firm right now and we see more newbes moving into MH because TTs are almost non existent in my area right now - new or used. Local dealer is holding firm on NADA trade in value and MSPR on new TTs as there is so many looking. Yesterday when I went buy to buy a part that they did not have in stock they had 1 new TT that had just been delivered and no used TTs. They also have over 50 TTs waiting parts for repairs so the owners could go somewhere. While there 3 couples came in to check out the new TT. They sold one in 15 minutes for full price with expected delivery in September 2020 (maybe).

I share this because if you find what you and your wife have determined what you want get it.

Best wishes in your search. Richard
Old 08-14-2020, 07:59 PM   #14

jacwjames
My guess is that once the virus starts to settle down (jury is still on when though) the thrill of ownership may convince people to sell RV's that they make monthly payments on but only use occasionally. Plus the cost of storage, maintenance, insurance ..........you might say the thrill is gone.

If you can wait it might be worth your while.

I agree about your statement above. Of those that bought and want to sell off soon, they will be motivated. I only have about 2 months left in this FL heat and humidity, and will not spending much time in the Winter for any new purchases. So I am inclined to hold off, unless I see the perfect value/deal.

rarebear.nm

Sorry about missing out on that perfect fit. It gives you that coulda woulda shoulda feeling in your stomach. Once I get focused and a consensus direction, I too will be pretty specific and might need to travel afar, currently by plane is going to be pushed in the future.

Bowtie Jim - Yes, like you, if I find it, I have nothing holding me back from pulling the trigger.

mtofell - I'm casually shopping and am really only interested in pre-DPF coaches.

I am doing the same, my wife preferred newer and shorter. A lot to be searching. I think the pre 2009 DP's will be less affected by this Virus dilemma. I agree in all post, except, be a little more optimistic, but I'd be surprised if prices vary by more than 5% in the DP market
I think it could be up to 15% (more on the newer DP's).
Closed Thread

Tags
ems, purchase