Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2022, 12:09 PM   #15
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
I use CC most of the time on interstates in light to zero traffic. Steep rolling hills, usually CC off because I like to get a run at the next one to save fuel, and keep transmission in 6th, so engine brake is also off unless It’s gaining too much speed. My ex brake switch is right beside my left hand.

In our cars I almost always use CC as it keeps me from getting a ticket. lol. I have a heavy foot.
I had one of those when I was younger, but it got lighter as I got older!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2022, 12:16 PM   #16

A lot of the concerns could be solved by adaptive cruise control... where the CC slows down automatically as traffic in front slows down.

Sounds like there are not many RVs with it yet.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 12:29 PM   #17

I tow with a F350 diesel Dually that has both engine braking and towing mode. Many/most of the time when I'm towing I'm in the 29K to 30K combined weight range. I use the CC a lot. The secret with the CC usage in the mountains is to lower your set point just before you crest a steep downhill on the other side. An example of that would be running 70mph on an Interstate and the warning signs indicate you will be coming down a 6% or 7% grade and the truck limit is let's say 55mph. Just before the crest and starting down, I will lower the set point on the cruise down to approx. 50mph. and let the engine braking and towing mode do it's thing. The cruise will normally keep me within 5 mph and if needed, towing mode will drop a gear to help maintain that speed. Depending on the grade, I may have to occasionally use my brakes (truck and trailer) and when the speed is back to around 50mph, immediately engage the cruise again. I obviously do not use the CC in heavy traffic in an urban setting and usually try to keep in the far right lane as much as possible and most of the time driving a bit slower than the traffic around me.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 01:06 PM   #18

I leave my CC on all the time. I use it pretty much all the time except for in traffic.

Like Mshappycamper, my CC does not inhibit my downhill speed. If it starts to get out of hand, I Jake it with the foot pedal, which my coach allows with the CC on, and it stays set. Only the service brake, or turning the CC off disengages the CC, the Jake doesn't.
Also, something we discussed in another thread about Jake use and mileage, my Jake doesn't auto activate when the throttle is lifted. You have to use the foot pedal, which you can do any time.

I live in Colorado, and hills is an everyday part of life. Maybe it's just the the way I'm traveling, which is not towing, and 2-3 thousand under the max gvw, but my cruise works fine on hills, even in eco mode. Rarely do I feel the need to hand shift or kick off the cruise. And I hand shift my auto cars, the shift points never seem right, but the coach is the one exception.

My usual braking routine is to hit the Jake with my left foot first, tap the brake to kick off the cruise, and apply service brake once the Jake hits the low speed kick off, which is around 5-10 mph. If a more aggressive stop is necessary, I will use the Jake and the service brake at the same time, as needed.

It's my understanding that a lot of this type of behavior settings can be programmed into the ECU, and if it isn't to your liking, it can be changed.
Old 06-29-2022, 01:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred42 View Post
I never use it as I am usually in rolling hills and a F53. It just feels right to go faster down the hill to help make it up the next hill without significant downshifting.
Yes and that's how I drive too. Cruise control is for Kansas. Somewhere nice and level.
MinntoMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 02:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinntoMich View Post
Yes and that's how I drive too. Cruise control is for Kansas. Somewhere nice and level.
Personally, I would hate to think that I have a tow vehicle with Cruise Control that I only could use on flat ground.....I'd have to do something different. YMMV.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 09:48 PM   #21

I use it relentlessly, especially going thru small towns where speeds drop. Set the CC to the speed limit and its one less thing to pay attention to. At the speed limit traffic almost always will pull away from me.

In heavier traffic I set it at a slower speed (2mph or so) then traffic is averaging and if I start to lag I either click + a couple of times or put my foot on the gas, to close the gap up. Adjust up or down a click or two every now and then as needed.

Off in rain of any significance, snow or ice.

Lastly, its Off but not by my choice, but because the wind tripped the "Advance Track" system which disables the CC and hill assist. This one pisses me off especially now traveling in the NW where there always seems to be wind
rtaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 10:16 PM   #22

I can use mine in smaller rolling hills like Florida or Texas as I give it some gas and speed up a little approaching a hill so that my speed won't decrease down to where the cruise control will cause my transmission to down shift.

On flat ground with the cruise on, my feet are flat on the floor in front of the seat.
Old 06-29-2022, 11:48 PM   #23

Using cruise control

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
…..,I give it some gas and speed up a little approaching a hill so that my speed won't decrease down to where the cruise control will cause my transmission to down shift…..

I do the same…. A little run at the hills helps a lot. Otherwise it will loose speed enough that it has to accelerate back to set speed going up the hill. Very inefficient.

Managing engine brake use similarly can save fuel also. Let er run down the hill… within reason. Use that momentum to help get up the next.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 01:56 PM   #24

Yup, agree, never use it driving the coach or when towing. And if just the car or truck never in rain etc.
Old 07-01-2022, 02:17 PM   #25

I do as you Joe.
Also many owners of diesel MH's with air brakes do not know or realize air brakes have a longer reaction time than hydraulic brakes.
We know auto drivers do not know this or they would not dart in front of such a vehicle and stop short.

This pdf is an excellent document from which to learn everything about air brakes.

It takes a driver approx. 1.5 seconds to respond after seeing brake lights in front of them. ref: https://www.visualexpert.com/Resourc...ctiontime.html
Beginning on page 22 of the first link;
It takes approx. 1/2 second for air brakes to respond after pushing the brake pedal.
In that 1/2 second an air-brake equipped vehicle can travel many feet, that otherwise with a hydraulic braking system, might actually be stopping force.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 07:08 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I do as you Joe.
Also many owners of diesel MH's with air brakes do not know or realize air brakes have a longer reaction time than hydraulic brakes.
We know auto drivers do not know this or they would not dart in front of such a vehicle and stop short.
I think you are giving car drivers way too much credit.
Quote:
Beginning on page 22 of the first link;
It takes approx. 1/2 second for air brakes to respond after pushing the brake pedal.
In that 1/2 second an air-brake equipped vehicle can travel many feet, that otherwise with a hydraulic braking system, might actually be stopping force.
I think a 1/2 second may be optimistic, but at 60 that is 44 feet or about 3 car lengths. Something they do not mention is that drum brakes use the rotation of the drum to increase the brake pressure, so not only do you have the air delay, but you also but you also have the wait for the rotation of the drum to increase the force. This was something I discovered when I converted my Revcon from drums to disc. Its actually very significant. It made what use to be panic stops feel like normal stops because the brakes instantly responded to the peddle.

But either way, in traffic, I often hover with my foot over the brake peddle. Sometimes I do that with my left foot.
Old 07-02-2022, 02:43 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by B52Rnav View Post
We use CC every day, every trip. In anything but light traffic - no CC. No CC in mountains, but do use CC in rolling hills.
Same here...the CC and the Econ mode on the Allison in rolling hills will help a small bit with mileage.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 02:55 PM   #28
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I use the CC all the time. Even when entering onramps. I get the coach up to speed on the onramp where the CC will kick on (about 30 mph) and then engage it. On a diesel pusher you can't hear the engine or feel the throttle. By using the CC, it uses enough throttle to get to speed without any input from me.

Once at speed, I leave the engine brake on and let the cruise handle the speed uphill and downhill. My engine brake will engage as I descend.

If traffic starts to get a little heavy, I'll back the cruise down a little and cover the brake.

Using cruise control and the engine brake doesn't require any manual labor. Why would I want to have my foot on the throttle when it isn't necessary? I drive my coach with my left hand using my index finger for controlling the speed and braking. If the cruise needs to be turned off for a second or so, index finger push and it's done. If the engine brake needs to operate, index finger push on the switch. This can all be done without looking and almost subconsciously.

If I come into a town with a slower speed limit....index finger push on the CC until the speed drops to the speed limit. It's must less stressful than trying to hold the throttle pedal and worrying about speed traps in small towns.

Only time my CC is not engaged is in town and stop and go traffic.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise control