Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2022, 10:16 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Using cruise control

How many of you use the cruise control on the road? I never use it when driving in heavy traffic because I believe it cuts the reaction time in an emergency. For example, if you're driving 60 MPH using cruise control and someone bows up and stops in front of you, your RV will continue moving 60 MPH during the split-second time your foot is shifting to the brake pedal. If you're not using the cruise then the RV will be slowing down while your foot is moving from the accelerator to the brake pedal. That slight difference in speed might determine whether or not you ram the vehicle in front of you!

What are your thoughts on this?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2022, 10:26 AM   #2

I agree. CC is nice if it's fairly clear ahead and everyone looks to be driving nicely. Yep, you may need that split second like you said Joe to get things slowed down in order to avoid the crash.
I am with you on this.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 10:27 AM   #3

We use CC every day, every trip. In anything but light traffic - no CC. No CC in mountains, but do use CC in rolling hills.
B52Rnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 10:28 AM   #4

I don't use cruise control in traffic, but when I am on cruise and get into or around traffic I cover the brake pedal with my foot, so if something happens I'm ready to stop as quickly as possible.
Pretty much anytime I'm driving the RV I have my whole family inside, so I'm very conservative.

Usually I'm going on the slower end of what traffic is doing around me, so its not a problem unless the other driver is an idiot, so it happens more often than it should anyway. Like a slow car trying to merge onto the freeway...

2011 Fleetwood Terra 34DS
Pretaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 10:48 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Agree with all above comments. I will use it when following distance ahead is around 10 seconds and consistent. If I see gunners coming up from behind zooming in and out, I will turn it off.

When CC is off, I want to feel the coach slow or coast as I move my foot from accelerator to brake. At 65 mph in one second the coach has gone 94 feet.

Does anyone know if Newmar brake lights activate when engine braking?

2022 Kountry Star 3412
Jeep Wrangler
FloridaSon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 11:14 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We use it mostly out on the highway at speed. It's on more than it's off. If there's heavy traffic we don't, more because its kind of a pain than I think we'll hit something. The motorhome doesn't do much in the slowing down department when I take my foot off the accelerator so there isn't any difference between using it or not using it in terms of how fast braking action would start. The tiny fraction of a second it takes my foot to move to the brake doesn't give the coach any time to slow on its own.
Old 06-29-2022, 11:16 AM   #7

I never use it as I am usually in rolling hills and a F53. It just feels right to go faster down the hill to help make it up the next hill without significant downshifting.
Old 06-29-2022, 11:21 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred42 View Post
I never use it as I am usually in rolling hills and a F53. It just feels right to go faster down the hill to help make it up the next hill without significant downshifting.
I don't think my cruise control restricts my speed down hills.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 11:33 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use CC on highways, but not in heavy traffic for the same reason others have mentioned. When in hill country like through TN on I-40, I use it but also have engine break on. In the event my downhill speed exceeds 5 MPH faster than my CC set speed, my engine brake comes on and slows me to the CC speed than then shuts off. But as I have mentioned numerous times on this site, I drive no faster than 60 MPH in the right lane, don't care if the Interstate speed is 70 or 75, I drive at 60... period. At my age, I am in no hurry, I want to make it to 82.
Sgt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 11:44 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Being in Colorado, I seldom use CC.
Even going to Florida, the rolling hills of Texas don't lend themselves to CC.
We use the "drag -n - fly" method.
I don't care to hear the engine scream trying to maintain a constant speed, but then we tend to "wander" down the road and stop often at local attractions.

Mike in Colorado
Old 06-29-2022, 11:46 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Wehn on open roads and little traffic, I use the cruise control. But you get into rolling hills, the control is turned off and I use mt foot control.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 11:56 AM   #12

I used it more in the Revcon, as that coach could stop on a dime. My current coach, not as much. I live near Chicago, so any time I go east, I'm not hitting the cruise until we get out of state. Per reaction time, there are many times when my foot hovers over the brake pedal just waiting to see if traffic will clear in time.

Of course the cruise does push you to come up on traffic closer than maybe you should as your are counting on switch lanes once a car goes past. Driving the Revcon late at night, I had that situation. Traveling just over 70, coming up on a car, waiting for a pickup truck pass so I could dart over behind him. Started to cut in behind him pretty quick, but didn't see he was towing a flatbed trailer with no side lights. I yanked the wheel back so hard, it pulled a muscle in my back. The front wheels slid until the cause traction and I was back in the lane. The amazing part, was that there was no sway and no oversteer. It was rock solid. The recovery from the slide was a non-event. However I did decide to finally pull over and call it a night. I figured if I was that tired to not see the trailer, than I was too tired to be on the road.
Old 06-29-2022, 11:58 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Like many others I use CC mainly on the open highway with light to moderate traffic. I do not use it in most urban areas, heavy traffic, larger hills or the mountains. On some of my common routes that leaves very little "open road" to use it on.

Another case is in a few towns where the main street is posted at say 25 and the local LEOs are typically waiting for a customer to zip by. In these cases I'll reset it for compliance with local wishes.

When I was young I adopted left foot braking. Provides me a faster response time when needed.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 12:01 PM   #14

I use CC most of the time on interstates in light to zero traffic. Steep rolling hills, usually CC off because I like to get a run at the next one to save fuel, and keep transmission in 6th, so engine brake is also off unless Itís gaining too much speed. My ex brake switch is right beside my left hand.

In our cars I almost always use CC as it keeps me from getting a ticket. lol. I have a heavy foot.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise control