Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2022, 07:33 PM   #15

We live in a rural area in the hills so they tend to turn off the power in high winds or fire season so they dont get blamed for starting fires so we installed an auto switch 22kw whole house natural gas generator in can run forever when power goes out.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2022, 10:41 PM   #16

We keep our 40’ DP in the driveway full of diesel , LP and at least 50 gallons fresh water, plugged into a 25 amp cord to keep the fridge cold and floor furnace going if needed to keep things from freezing.

Last year we had to move out to the rv and run the generator for a week straight during our unusual TX deep freeze. We were snug as bugs in a rug. Used about a half tank of LP and 1/4 tank of diesel.
My work truck has a big diesel welder and I ran that off and on to keep the well house thawed (because it was parked close to it). Otherwise I could have run multiple cords from the rv. I probably have 300’ of cord on hand.

BTW a hair dryer can be used to keep things thawed in a pinch.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 03:04 AM   #17
YC1

Can you use a macerator and long hose to eliminate the need to move to dump the rv?

I would run the generator every day in the AM and PM for a couple of hours each time.

Don't skip a day and let the batteries get low. It's hard on them and could lead to damage.

If you have a decent inverter onboard you could run a separate extension cord to run the computer and a small ups between the computer and inverter would provide some protection if your inverter is a modified sine wave unit.

Your house batteries would work for many hours this way. Have your computer connected to the ups so it will shut the computer down safely when it kicks into the backup mode.

Propane furnaces run a long time on a large propane tank and especially if you shut off any back rooms and turn that area down until needed.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 03:20 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 5.5KW Onan on the motorhome. I can back feed the generator into the house and cross wire the house so that both legs of the primary power receive the same phase from the generator.

By doing this I can power every circuit in the house and 5.5 KW is more than enough!

However, because both input legs are the same phase, the 240V stuff doesn't work! In my case the clothes dryer. Not a big deal. The well pump! A pretty big deal.

We had a major fire near our home in 2013. We were without power for an extended time. I powered the house from the MH. After a few days I decided I really needed the water pump and went to Harbor Freight and bought a 6.5 KW Generator. As I was pulling into the yard with the new generator my wife called and said the power is back!

I have a 9 year old, brand new 6.5 KW 240V generator in the original unopened box in my shed! I had plans to permanently attach it to the home power system but never got around to it! Maybe once in 9 years means I shouldn't waste my time!
Old 10-04-2022, 06:12 AM   #19
YC1

IAN was no fun.

Power down for about 48 hours along with internet and cell service.

Our MH parked next to our daughters house. Sewer access with macerator.

No power to the well pump. It is 220 volts.

Ran extension cords inside to run refers and RV with Direct TV working fine so we had outside information at least.

Turned off generator at midnight each night and on at 6 am.

Filled the 100 gallon water tank of course and bought bottled water.
Placed several 64 quart containeers below the dripline of the roof. Those filled quickly. It rained somewhere between 12 and 24 inches here so no shortage there.

Had very large bath tub filled with water so could dip that and boil if needed. Used buckets of water to pour into toilets for flushing. It was amazing teaching people that the toilets would not flush more than once with the well off and that a simple pouring of water into the bowl would do the job fine. No need to take the tank top off and fill there.

Propane grill and griddle and plenty of food stored for a week at least.

I about fainted when I found my two grandsons reading books.

Some lessons learned for sure. This was not our first hurricane but bugged out on the last one. I'm glad we did. The Cat 1 was enough for me.

The windows were boarded up of course, gates open to reduce wind loading. Never lost a foot of fence which was astonishing.

Another grandson showed up with a noisy brand new 6.5 kw gas generator and fuel with cords. That thing was horrible but what a thoughtful thing for a young man to do.

We ran that for a few hours and found he had other outlaws nearby so we moved it to them and when they no longer needed it, it found a home in another neighborhood.

We will graciously reimburse him for it of course and since he recently became a certified electrician he will help installing a transfer switch in the AC panel in the house which he donated when the daughter first bought the house. He stepped in and replaced it saying he would not trust the type of breakers and panel that is in the mobile home. Gotta love that kid. No charge for any of it.

So our intentions are to pour a small pad and build a cinder block structure to contain the noisy generator for future operations. We will do some research on venting of course etc.

I am a certified electronic tech as well so can dream up something if needed. The block house will raise the generator up to the floor level of the house to protect from flooding which should never occur here since we just got a 500 year flood and no water here.

Thinking of buying one of those portable fuel stations the folks use for their ATV's etc. The fuel would always get some stabil in it and put in in the vehicles a couple of times a year to refresh it.

I hope all our friends out there are ok. We are west of Orlando about 15 miles.

Old 10-04-2022, 05:30 PM   #20

DavidEM, your MH circuits are limited to 15A each, MH's usually have 2-3 15A circuits available plus another specifically for the microwave.
This means no 240VAC is available.
I have used our MH for brief power outages, but for overnight use my gas Boliy 3600 inverter genset gets used, believe it or not, it's quieter than the diesel MH genset.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 04:49 AM   #21
DJJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
DavidEM, your MH circuits are limited to 15A each, MH's usually have 2-3 15A circuits available plus another specifically for the microwave.
This means no 240VAC is available.
I have used our MH for brief power outages, but for overnight use my gas Boliy 3600 inverter genset gets used, believe it or not, it's quieter than the diesel MH genset.

Ray, the 30 amp outlet on my gas generator is different then the 30 to 50 amp adapter for my rv. Could you help me get from my 30 RV cord to the generator 30 amp outlet?

I’m in Port Charlotte and lost power a week ago today and think it will be another week without power and water. My diesel RV generator has been a little hard to start in the morning. if I need or want to use my gas generator to power the RV that option would be nice to have. Next week it looks like we are going to want some ac in the evenings so just planning ahead if needed.

Thanks, Jeff
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 08:02 AM   #22
YC1

Correct me if you think I am wrong.

Since shoreline on 50 amps comes is as 120 on each leg but 240 across the two hot leads I would then assume my generator would produce that identical situation and one could tap into the transfer switch line and via the proper transfer switch on the house and breakers could feed the well.

This is just something that could be done in an emergency. All proper electrical precautions would take place. No back feeding the power pole, proper wire sizing etc. Proper breakers.

A shoreline cord for the sticks and bricks could be built and plugged into a new outlet installed in the rv near the transfer switch.

Just tossing out some ideas here. This has been discussed in debth but sometimes revisiting it brings up new ideas and solutions.

Old 10-05-2022, 08:48 AM   #23
DJJ

Using my MH at home during an extended power outage

Several neighbors have gas generators feeding their house. They just put a outlet for the generator next to the main breaker panel and wire that outlet to a breaker in the panel. Shut the main breaker off before turning on installed generator breaker. Depending on generator size determines what they can power.

I have read about something called an interlock that prevents you turning on the generator breaker with the main breaker on. The generator breaker has to be in the top right position in the panel for the slide type of lock to work. Neighbors say here not required.

In the future I am going to have to figure a way to at least power my well and reverse osmosis equipment. A week in I’m still on my 100 gal RV water tank.

Myron, we have friends in Auburndale and when we moved out of Key Largo they tried to talk us into your area. Neat town but getting built up. Every time we visit, more subdivisions less groves. Glade you fared well.

Jeff
Old 10-05-2022, 11:40 AM   #24
DJJ

L5 to TT 30 adapter is what I think I need after hunting around on the net.

Did not think they would make something like that to make so easy to get from one to the other.
Old 10-05-2022, 02:24 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJ View Post
Several neighbors have gas generators feeding their house. They just put a outlet for the generator next to the main breaker panel and wire that outlet to a breaker in the panel. Shut the main breaker off before turning on installed generator breaker. Depending on generator size determines what they can power.

I have read about something called an interlock that prevents you turning on the generator breaker with the main breaker on. The generator breaker has to be in the top right position in the panel for the slide type of lock to work. Neighbors say here not required.

In the future I am going to have to figure a way to at least power my well and reverse osmosis equipment. A week in I’m still on my 100 gal RV water tank.

Myron, we have friends in Auburndale and when we moved out of Key Largo they tried to talk us into your area. Neat town but getting built up. Every time we visit, more subdivisions less groves. Glade you fared well.

Jeff
I installed the interlock device on my panel. It beats a transfer panel. The interlock let’s you power your entire home and not just certain circuits you picked to be in the transfer panel. I then installed an input plug in my outbuilding where I have a large diesel gen. I also installed a second input plug near my rv so I can power the house from that if I want. The interlock gives you so many options and it’s cheap…$175.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 04:48 PM   #26
YC1

The interlock is the safe way to go. Turning off breakers and trying to set up the generator by someone that is not up to speed is a recipe for additional disasters and dangerous. Of course it is done but the interlock is the way to go for sure.

My grandson will be installing one for use shortly.

Old 10-06-2022, 04:13 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJ View Post
L5 to TT 30 adapter is what I think I need after hunting around on the net.

Did not think they would make something like that to make so easy to get from one to the other.
Sorry I didn't reply. My notifications didn't work and just this morning read your question. Congratulation on finding the adapter.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 04:51 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
I guess much of this planning is easy to a point or doomsday complex..
Depends on you RV, its genny.. etc..
I buddy has his Class A, he updated his onboard to a 10K onan from 7.5k, long story and he has money to play with as he wishes.. Regardless, he added a 50A recepticle to back of RV, to plug in his tag along.. he has AC in it, mini kitchen, side by sides (2) ..
ANYWAY, He also has used that 50A output to power his barn or house.. He has s standby but is crapped out, propane regulater etc.. He said the RV worked well as a power source..

AS for staying in RV with a storm ... I rather the house, as I would worry in winter about house freeze .. etc, sure in summer after a storm, you can camp in RV a few days I guess with AC etc..

Personally, I have a simple Genny 30A.. set up my panel to let me feed both legs.. takes 5 minutes and that includes firing up the genny.. I have used it in bad rain.wind storms and at 7 degree winters.. Last winter for 2 and half days till power company got us back up.. That sucked a bit as well pump is 220.. I do have a 220V contracter genny that us now in shed near well power box, I have interlock on it so I can power well and septic..
My newer genny .. was under $1000, it ran house with one window AC on for wifey for a couple of days,, need fuel 11-13 hours .. that was easy to handle..

The RV sat quietly behind garage,,
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power