Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2018, 02:42 AM   #43

You only get the 8 cents off when using the Pilot/Flying J RV card, but you get the convenience of pump start in the truck lanes - something you don't get when using the GS card.
aktraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2018, 05:18 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktraveler View Post
You only get the 8 cents off when using the Pilot/Flying J RV card, but you get the convenience of pump start in the truck lanes - something you don't get when using the GS card.
What is the $$ amount cutoff on the FJ card at the pumps?

The only time I use my current credit card is when I am buying diesel for the motorhome.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:27 AM   #45

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
What is the $$ amount cutoff on the FJ card at the pumps?

The only time I use my current credit card is when I am buying diesel for the motorhome.

I’ve never hit a limit on my RV Plus charge card but I usually fill at half empty which on my RV will be 50 gal. Flying J and probably Pilot also take Visa at the pump too and sign posted said $495 limit. More than I need for my RV! Visa is only cc they will take at the pump.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 02:38 PM   #46

We always use the truck lanes .... when loading 100 gals (150 gal tank) I want to get it done and get back on the road .... don't mind the walk as its always a nice break ...
Have tried the RV sections, but generally too tight for our 70' rig .... and I like going where I know we have fresh fuel .... very important IMO, where as the smaller stations may not have that much turnover in fuel .....
As for the truckers ..... we're on the road with these guys .... and I consider the majority of these guys my friends .... I mite need their help some where along the way .....
Just my thoughts on the topic ......... seems a bit different view point as a full timer vs weekend warriors ... #justsayin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 05:46 PM   #47

There is no pump cutoff $$ amount when using the RV Plus charge card. No need to reinsert the card like you have to do sometimes when using Visa. But the RV Plus is a charge card, not a credit card, so you have to pay the bill in full at the end of the month.
aktraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:01 AM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Pilot card

I use the pilot card and the truck lanes. Much easier with a 40 ft motorhome towing a car. Never had to go inside. I find the truckers friendly and just doing their job. No problems
Larryg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:20 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCoTom View Post
I fueled my truck in Pa. at a Speedway gas station this week, diesel $3.35 per gallon. The Flying J truck stop six miles away was $3.73 per gallon diesel, however the difference in gasoline prices were within 2 cents between the two stations. I understand the convenience of the truck lanes but that is a little much for me.
That's because Flying J/Pilot/Loves all have pricing contracts with the over the road haulers. And the price they pay is considerably less than is what is posted. Guys like you and me pay the top dollar prices to subsidize the trucking industry discounts. Except that I don't patronize those places.
minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:45 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
your explanations surrounding using 'truck lanes' is exactly why we never do.... I'd rather not have to walk thru lanes of loud diesel trucks, wait in line behind sweaty drivers, waiting for someone to fax something, have someone 'hold' my credit card while I fuel, go back out and 'fill up' with their expensive diesel, go back in and wait in line AGAIN, hope that someone remembers where they 'held' my credit card, have them ask me questions about my 'trucking company name', truck 'number', and wait for my 'refund' receipt from the original hold... uh, no thanks.

I've delivered all lengths of units brand new from the factories to dealers and I'll just stick with the good ol' regular diesel pumps at the 'gas station', like everyone else... how 'fast' I can pump diesel is not my concern, but all the rigamaroo[definition: "Giving someone the run around. Not being straight and to the point."] surrounding 'truck lanes' is.
I'm with you MisterT. In addition to what you described I've found that the truck side is also very nasty around the pump. I have white carpet in my coach and don't want that diesel all over the ground tracked all through my carpet. The nozzles also seem to be covered in diesel fuel as well. No thanks. The only good thing about the truck side is the nozzles are bigger and you can pump faster. SO what?
EZRider800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:58 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnow View Post
That's because Flying J/Pilot/Loves all have pricing contracts with the over the road haulers. And the price they pay is considerably less than is what is posted. Guys like you and me pay the top dollar prices to subsidize the trucking industry discounts. Except that I don't patronize those places.

I don't either: I figure I'm not using the pro driver amenities (showers, laundry, money orders, chrome doodads, etc) so why pay for the place that has them?

Plenty of big rig fill stations that aren't high end truck stops out there .
Old 04-07-2018, 04:03 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I’m not in a hurry, can maneuver well in all fueling stations (43 + toad), save 20 to 40 bucks on average on a 100 gallon diesel fill, need no discount cards to do it, always pay at the pump, have no need for a faster pump, don’t need “footies” to keep the diesel sloshes out of the MH, do not need to keep an eye on the satellite pump hounds, do it all with a card that pays me back 5%, never need to honk my Hadleys, never stay to waist time in the station diner, and love the average of an extra 20 bucks in my pocket.
We’ve had lunch in our MH in trucks stops, and have been endlessly amused by watching the logistical calamities.
The excuses for using the big truck stops while thinking there is a gain in time and $ are quite entertaining! Keep trying. [emoji6]
Happy Trails

Here’s our story. Stopped at Pilot, while RV we were loosely traveling with drove 9.4 miles each way into a different fuel stop with fuel going for 27cent a gal less. At 7.5 mpg, that was 2.5 x $3.13 ($7.83) to get back to to highway. Three hours after we arrived at our campground, he comes idling in. Two fuel filter changes, one along side a very busy interstate, the reason for the cheaper fuel (lots of contamination) was obvious. Pilot fuel is fresh, as one trucker pointed bad fuel flies thru the trucker world like lightning. YMMV
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 04:24 PM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've tried the truck lanes a few times, but my MH has a problem that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread. The larger nozzles used in the truck lanes also tend to be totally straight, with no curve to them. The fill tube in my rig is angled such that you can't just stick the nozzle in because it's a few inches inside the fuel door and tilted down! So... when you go to pump fuel, the nozzle is only about 1-2 inches into the filler tube and tends to foam back when running fuel. This is exacerbated by the truck nozzle tending to run higher rates. Duh..!

Not sure if that makes any sense, but bottom line is that filling at the truck pumps takes me about 3 times as long since I must keep it at a trickle to prevent back splash. This holds me up, holds any truckers behind me up, and is generally a royal PITA, plus gets messy.

For this reason, I always try to scope out fueling points ahead of time using Google Earth. I immediately eliminate stops where the pumps face the store since maneuvering room is usually inadequate for a rig my size while towing. Sometimes their diesel pumps are on the end and provide a different exit strategy!

The good news is that I only have to fill every 700-800 miles while maintaining a good fuel reserve. Still like to keep the top half full!
Old 04-07-2018, 05:06 PM   #54

When not towing my RV around, I'm one of the sweaty truck drivers! I prefer to use the Pilots/ Flying J's/ Love's because of the larger nozzles. They flow at almost twice as fast as the auto diesel pumps out front.
Yes, I have to go inside to get a receipt, the company wants a copy. But at the Pilot/Flying J's, I have a rewards card that I can swipe at a kiosk and get my receipt. Rarely had to wait for more than a minute, if that.
And Love's will print out your receipt after you are done pumping. Just go and grab it out of the numbered slot by the register. If a fellow sweaty truck driver is in the way, just say "excuse me", and we'll get out of your way so you can be on your way!
The Pilot/Flying J Professional Rewards card is nice. I get a penny for every gallon I pump! That's mine, not the company's! When they were Wilco Hess, before they switched ownership, they constantly offered double or triple points!
I'm still figuring out the Love's points.
Old 04-07-2018, 05:23 PM   #55

[QUOTE=Funhaus;4112913]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post

I agree on all the rest of the answers except this one, I only have a Good Sam membership card, it is NOT a credit card, I just follow the directions on the screen, it usually asks for a loyalty or discount card, I swipe it then can use which ever credit or debit card I prefer, and pay at the pump without having to go inside. Again this only works at Pilot/Flying J Truck Stops.

Yep just did this exact thing two weeks ago used goodsam discount card as loyalty card and then debit card. Got the 10% discount also
JLWoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:33 PM   #56

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnow View Post
Yep that is exactly why we avoid them as much as possible.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel pump