Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #15

Does the window fall all the way out?we have a 2001 georgetown with roll out window slates.would like to try escape but don't want replace window.
TRELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2012, 06:01 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Ours does not, though I've heard of some brands that do.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:52 AM   #17

Triple E Owners Club
An axe might make that window a little easier to get out.

KTK
KenTheKanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #18

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Great discussion folks. Always rememeber prevention first then have a plan and practice it. The whimpy fire extingushers that come as OE on most RV's will not be enough to fight your way out. Have at least two 5lb ABC rated extingusheres with one being in the bedroom. Have more then one smoke and CO detector and test them regularly. And lastly, take turns waking each other up in the middle of the night to the sound of the smoke detector. This will be valauable behaviural training. Sound the alarm and evaluate each others behavior while waking up and accually deciding whats going on and then executing an escape.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:39 AM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Several people discussed having wooden props available to hold the "swing up" exit window open. Problem I see is that they would be very easily kicked aside while exiting, resulting in the window coming down rapidly. I'm currently installing gas props to hold my basement hatches open on the slide side where Thor thought owners would be too stupid and would close the slide with a door open. Anyway, short version, I'm going to investigate adding gas props to the emergency window.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:42 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
And lastly, take turns waking each other up in the middle of the night to the sound of the smoke detector. This will be valauable behaviural training. Sound the alarm and evaluate each others behavior while waking up and accually deciding whats going on and then executing an escape.
Bill, I know this is an excellent idea. However, the DW's evaluation of my sounding a false alarm in the middle of the night would result in her whacking me with one of the window props .
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to JMacy
From this discussion it seems to me that the MH manufacturers need to spend a little more thought to safety and a little less on bling.
I am all for all the creature comforts I can get, and love the ideas that the new coaches have incorporated, but it won't matter a hill of beans if you or loved one is turned into a crispy critter because you were too stiff, overweight, or infirm to escape if necessary.

Sure, the chances are pretty small you will ever have to use, but until you can actually use your emergency escape exit, it is just more "feel-good" but useless equipment.

We have the rope and rung ladder, but I am having a step made to be welded to the back bumper so that we can straddle the wall with a foot inside and the other outside. that way we have a better chance of easy egress.

I realize that the odds are in our favor of not needing it, but why not cover the potential of saving your life?
Old 09-18-2012, 10:07 AM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Rehearsal

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Great discussion folks. Always rememeber prevention first then have a plan and practice it. The whimpy fire extingushers that come as OE on most RV's will not be enough to fight your way out. Have at least two 5lb ABC rated extingusheres with one being in the bedroom. Have more then one smoke and CO detector and test them regularly. And lastly, take turns waking each other up in the middle of the night to the sound of the smoke detector. This will be valauable behaviural training. Sound the alarm and evaluate each others behavior while waking up and accually deciding whats going on and then executing an escape.
I'm not sure if I would get hit or shot for setting off the alarm, but this is probably necessary to be truly prepared.
Another way is to rehearse in your mind and play out the scenario mentally. That has been proven to work through psychological testing.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:09 AM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenTheKanuck View Post
An axe might make that window a little easier to get out.

KTK
Or the wall!
Old 09-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This topic is usually ignored until its too late, great ideas.
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Problem Solved! Maybe?

Well, I think we have a solution We had the RV repair place put a one step ladder just below the window so we can swing a leg out, stand on the rung, grab the roof ladder and get out quickly with little fuss.
have pictures of before and after, but not sure how to post them. If anyone wants pics just email me and I'll send them along.

Thanks for all the interest in this thread. It's been a pleasure to meet those contributors even if only vicariously
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MHBack (small).jpg
Views:	73
Size:	475.8 KB
ID:	27286   Click image for larger version

Name:	MH Back2 (small).jpg
Views:	63
Size:	399.7 KB
ID:	27287  

Old 10-07-2012, 04:32 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMacy View Post
I looked on Internet for escape ladders, most are for homes with 6-10 inch walls and sills.

Biggest concern now is for our critters, but we hope that fire and us calling them will be their motivation to jump.
Hope this helps save someone's life.
I can't get out our emergency window either. It's a rather small window and high up for escape purposes. Someone older like myself would almost certainly break their legs or neck dropping from that window if they can make it through. Our cats are a real worry where fires are concerned. They're most likely to hide under the sofa or on the top storage bunk than follow us out the door.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Agree, we both agree that our animals are the big concern. They are the innocent one and only agreed to their circumstances because they were willing to give upo what they could have had for what they do have.

Personally, I think that the manufacturers ought to pay more attention to safety than to rope lights in the ceiling.

Maybe have an escape door with a slide like the airplanes have, or maybe fire walls from side to side that limit the travel of a fire, or maybe an automatic suppression system where fires are likely to begin.

What if enough people began telling the manufacturers what safety equipment was workable instead of simply following a government guideline that was made by some 20 year old that thought nothing of vaulting through the escape window with a full twist and somersault landing on both feet in a perfect 10 point landing?

Most people I've met in motor-homes has some creaky joints and don't move as easily or quickly as they did at 20-30-or 40.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
As a pet sitter, I am always trying to explain to people that making your dog sleep in his crate is for his own good. I suggest that for campers too, since you then know where Fido, or your kitty is hiding and with smaller animals, you can just hand the crate through the escape window. With larger dogs, you drape a leash over the top, the kind that the vets use where it works like a training leash, so you don't fumble with clasps etc. and you open the door to the crate, and slip it on their head and lead them out safely.

Tags
window