Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to JMacy
Using your emergency escape window

I looked on Internet for escape ladders, most are for homes with 6-10 inch walls and sills.
I've heard of putting a ladder outside the escape window is okay if you are in a park , and so is moving a picnic table under the window, but it does no good if you are on the road and have a fire emergency.

I have tried to exit the escape window on our MH and could not do it. I suppose motivation of a fire would help, but I didn't try that!
Instead I got a closet pole, cut it into 26 inch pieces, drilled holes about 2 inches from ends, strung a rope through and knotted below where each wooden rung would be. I also left enough rope to go all the way across the bed and attach with a modified grappling hook design to the opposite side of the bed. It is there permanently not wanting to ever be used. This will work, rubber side down or up.

With all that in place we open the window, throw the ladder out and get out of Dodge (well ours isn't a Dodge but you get the idea.

Finally, we actually practice until we have all the kinks out of our performance. This is probably the most important part of all.
Biggest concern now is for our critters, but we hope that fire and us calling them will be their motivation to jump.

Hope this helps save someone's life.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #2

Now that is a very interesting and good idea. I have yet to hear of anyone practicing exiting through the emergency window. DW and I are going to discuss this item.
SKP #111927
SteveCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Great idea, I can just see this 77 year old busted up old geezer and my handicapped wife trying to practice. If we can manage just one time I will happy. I keep my Rosary Beads handy when and if the occasion should arise. I am in a building mood so will try to build your system.

Don
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:25 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Since the walls in RVs are wimpy, any risk of bowing the wall from the weight when exiting? Not a concern in an emergency, but could be through practice? I've noticed that some travel trailers have a small door in the front by the bunks. Good for emergencies. One day maybe they will have them in motorhomes.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:35 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCal View Post
Now that is a very interesting and good idea. I have yet to hear of anyone practicing exiting through the emergency window. DW and I are going to discuss this item.
We did it at the 2009 iRV2 National Rally after we went to Mac the Fire Guy's talk. Put a picnic bench under the window and dropped down on it. Normally we would not have a table under the window but, as the OP said, a fire would be a great motivator.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:45 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Great post and an even better idea! Thanks so much for sharing.

I've often wondered about this and counted on the big fire motivation factor but that's a big "if".

Having a big fire extinguisher by the bed is also a good idea to give the best chance of at least clearing a path to get by the fire to the entry door... and I'm figuring we'll throw the critters out the window if we have to and fix broken bones as need be.

Here's hoping we all never have to put any of these plans into real action.

Thanks again.

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #7

If my motor home is on fire and I have that window open I wont need a latter!!
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:45 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the idea. Now if I can just squeeze my fat a-- through the bedroom window. Naw, I'll have to go out the one in the living room. I keep a fire extinguisher by the bed, another in the kitchen, one by the front passenger seat, and a 4th (larger one) in the bay.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:50 AM   #9

My set up has the bed against the rear wall and the escape window right above the bed. I removed the screws preventing the window from sliding off its track.
Undo the latches, push and slide the window to the DS, lay bedding across the sill and get the H out. I go out feet first and the surface mounted spare actually assists exit.
Practice escape from the toilet room through the overhead hatch too. Left foot step on toilet, right foot step on lav top and out I go.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Question Emergency exit -- Possible?

Since pressure is straight down and the ropes are the only thing touching I haven't had a problem with our MH. Yours -- I don't know. I saw a video on how to escape - feet first belly down. I tried it. NOT! couldn't get this 70+ body to cooperate. Wife would have worst time, so had to at least make myself think it would be possible, and with ladder it is!

Problem is that RV manufactures don'
t consider the people that are using them. Older geezers don't have the flexibility or physical agility of 20-40 year olds. Ask me, I know!

Up until I realized I couldn't make it I felt okay , but who'd a thunk?
Old 09-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Great thread . This topic cannot be discussed enough in my opinion.Here is a thread I started last year about what Mac the fire guy taught me at a few of his rally lectures. Hope you don't mind me adding it to yours as I think it fits nicely here. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/fire-...int-89972.html

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:49 PM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I recently watched the video by Mac the Fire Guy. Point were; practice, use a blanket over the sill of the window, design a prop stick to hold the window open and of course the picnic table, etc that has bee discussed.

Practice: I'm not certain that opening and closing the escape window is going to be any good for the seal that is presently in place. Rest assured that should the need arises the window will be gone from foot pressure.

Blanket: Very good idea. I mean consider what you may sleep in. It would be nice to have the blanket once you hit the ground to "cover yourself up!" Especially us beautiful geezers.

Prop stick: easy to design and keep near the exit.

I practice in my mind - and I can say that if I'm near the window, and awake, I will get out. I may have some bruises and scrapes, but no burns - I hope.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just talking about this the other day. I will probably need to push my wife through the window and then try to climb out. I hope she lands safely.

More seriously, I WILL get an extingusher for the bedroom, that is a great idea.

I sure miss the second door that was on my travel trailer. That was a very comforting thing to have.
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Fire suppression

Here is an item that caught my attention and I believe it might interest others on this thread.

It is a 39"x39" blanket to smother small fires. It's use is in addition to the extinguishers. I guess you could Google safti-first-fire-blanket to see what it does and the video (I'll bet they have one). It mounts on a wall and gives you instant access for fire suppression.

I wonder, could this be used to wrap a pet or kid in as you tossed them out your emergency exit point? Could you use it to cover your backside from the fire to give you a few more seconds?

Dunno -- any volunteers?

Tags
window